Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

3 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I especially wish that the sales team also looks at there are many people including myself who travel solo and pay the double occupancy fee to start off with. So when they're not so cute webinar calling out standard fare people for not looking a package was disgusting.

I enjoy cruising and will continue to cruise but I cruise because for me, myself, personally I enjoyed the relaxation piece the most . I also enjoy meeting new people from all over, going to shows and activities (or just having that option if I choose to participate or not), listening to live music, and eating some good food. I most certainly don't need to drink to have a good time, besides the fact I simply just don't drink. 

And that’s exactly what cruising should be!  
All about you and your desire to have a fabulous cruise experience.  

It’s different for everyone.

You be you! Love it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeter02 said:

I especially wish that the sales team also looks at there are many people including myself who travel solo and pay the double occupancy fee to start off with. So when they're not so cute webinar calling out standard fare people for not looking a package was disgusting.

I enjoy cruising and will continue to cruise but I cruise because for me, myself, personally I enjoyed the relaxation piece the most . I also enjoy meeting new people from all over, going to shows and activities (or just having that option if I choose to participate or not), listening to live music, and eating some good food. I most certainly don't need to drink to have a good time, besides the fact I simply just don't drink. 

Keep in mind the webinar was not intended for passengers. It was for travel agents. Thus the focus on getting their customers to buy packages and how it increases TA commissions.

Even with the double fare mass market cruiselines lose money on solo cabins. As such they are not motivated to do anything to encourage solo cruising.  A bit different in premium and Luxury lines.

14 minutes ago, villauk said:

Unless you’re on the old Plus/Premier (pre Dec 22) and then you won’t be entitled unless you pay an upgrade charge.

My old Plus from 2022 is showing on cruise personalizer as having new benefits for 2024.  No upgrade charge.  YMMV.

2 minutes ago, jimmieg said:

My old Plus from 2022 is showing on cruise personalizer as having new benefits for 2024.  No upgrade charge.  YMMV.

Well, let’s hope the Webinar was wrong then (see  above post #679)🤞🏻. We’ll soon be finding out in a couple of weeks.

Edited by villauk

4 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Keep in mind the webinar was not intended for passengers. It was for travel agents. Thus the focus on getting their customers to buy packages and how it increases TA commissions.

Even with the double fare mass market cruiselines lose money on solo cabins. As such they are not motivated to do anything to encourage solo cruising.  A bit different in premium and Luxury lines.

From the sounds of the comments from that webinar though most of those travel agents were not thrilled and said it's way too much to explain all the different things you get and don't get any longer. That seemed to be the consensus from what I was reading.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

If I use my medallion on Ocean Ready to do the lifeboat drill check-in (as was required) on our last cruise, will I be charged $15?

I think personalIy I will play their game, get a key card, put the medallion in the safe and am going to let them track me down in person now for the muster drill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JGmf said:

Don't like the these changes?  Don't sail with Princess anymore. 

It sounds like a lot of you are saying you won't, but I don't believe it.  If $5 or $15 here or there drives you to another cruise line, I'm assuming you have the most advanced cost and value analytical model on the planet to be so price sensitive at such a granular level on your comparison spreadsheet.  

Moreover, if that extra amount dissuades you from Princess, then Princess probably does indeed need to pivot to more profitable customers, even for just $5 or $15 here or there.

I probably won't, but I'm not a Princess loyalist anyways. I'm not loyal to any cruise line, I choose based on itinerary. I can say Princess will be lower on my list when choosing next time, just because it's feeling very cumbersome to understand what I am paying for.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Jemnibabe02 said:

So I assume it will cost $5.00 to call and get our elite setup exchanged out?

We are thinking that it should not cause an additional fee if it's for an elite setup. Some people have stated that as of late they've been asking their cabin steward to do the switch out instead of as RS has been so backed up anyways. I'm going to test out the cabin steward theory this Sunday. If it is true I will be very happy because then I'll get my order rather quick instead of waiting late in the evening or the next day in most cases 

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

I think personalIy I will play their game, get a key card, put the medallion in the safe and am going to let them track me down in person now for the muster drill.

I bought a pack of 10 RFID blocker for my credit cards on ebay. I use one to keep my medallion from being read unless I choose to remove it from the sleeve. I know the block works because I had to take it out of the sleeve to unlock my cabin door. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

From the sounds of the comments from that webinar though most of those travel agents were not thrilled and said it's way too much to explain all the different things you get and don't get any longer. That seemed to be the consensus from what I was reading.

Yes, it has been a lot of changes in a relatively short period of time.  I imagine most of those agents sell other lines and don't have the time to keep up as experts in PCL.  I imagine some of the folks on this forum know more about cruising with Princess than 90% of TA's.  Not looking to toot my horn, but I believe I am in that group and who knows if we will keep up the frequency of sailing with PCL?  Not because of these changes, but maybe we are mostly cruised out.  That said, Alaska is still on the list and no question we will go with PCL.  I would also repeat part of S.A. and a trip around the Caribbean sometime again is always a nice Winter break.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Based on what's posted here I would pay $5 for calling to get an ice bucket.  

Take your ice bucket down to a bar and ask him to fill it up. I actually always bring a old school ice bag one of those medicine bags. I go down to the bars all the time to get it filled up no questions asked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

And the same holds true for those that paid the extra 60 a day for Plus.  We now get to go to Gigi's/Alfredos a total of two times per 7 day as well as two times per 14 day cruise.  Since we would maybe go four times per week, that's an extra 60 bucks on the 7 day and 180 on the 14 day.  So, since we currently have 2 7's and 3 14's booked, that's an extra 660.00 into Princess's coffers.

My husband and I usually share a pizza at Alfredo's.  So if we go in and order one $14.99 meal and two drinks, we can go 4 times.

• Like 4

The complexity of this new system boggles the mind!  Guests are often being mischarged now for things.  For example,  we have the Plus package on our next cruise and still had to enter a credit card for the $10 shipping fee which was supposed to be complimentary.  Can you imaging how things will be with all these new charges.  There are so many unanswered questions.  Will 2 comped Plus "casual dining" meals be provided for each segment of a multi-part cruise (2 cruises sold as 1)?  Will Standard package passengers have to pay "activation fees" for every segment?  Think about what this will mean for World cruises!  One of the greatest benefits of cruising is not being nickled-and-dimed.  One can see enormous confusion for the guests and the staff and l-o-n-g lines at the Purser's desk.  Hang on for a bumpy ride!

Edited by mike&elena
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, roxievegas said:

... cruising is turning into the airlines - not fun

Ultimately, no one "needs" to cruise. Business travel, visiting relatives, folks will put up with inconvenience and expense to fly.

By it's nature, cruising exists as indulgence. The now defunct EasyCruise proved that providing necessities, then paying for add-ons doesn't work in this business.

Unfortunately, the guy in charge doesn't know cruising, he knows marketing.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I'm going to test out the cabin steward theory this Sunday. If it is true I will be very happy because then I'll get my order rather quick instead of waiting late in the evening or the next day in most cases 

AFAIK and from multiple other posts, the steward just forwards request to RS as they are the ones delivering the mini-bars.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Difference between American and British sense of humor?

Well I thought it was a joke at first and then with all the talk about the changes I admit I thought someone had misunderstood the new rules.

8 minutes ago, mike&elena said:

The complexity of this new system boggles the mind!  Guests are often being mischarged now for things.  For example,  I have the Plus package on my next cruise and still had to enter a credit card for the $10 shipping fee which was supposed to be complimentary.  Can you imaging how things will be with all these new charges.  There are so many unanswered questions.  Will 2 comped Plus "casual dining" meals be provided for each segment of a multi-part cruise (2 cruises sold as 1)?  Will Standard package passengers have to pay "activation fees" for every segment?  Think about what this will mean for World cruises!  One of the greatest benefits of cruising is not being nickled-and-dimed.  I can see enormous confusion for the guests and the staff and l-o-n-g lines at the Purser's desk.  Hang on for a bumpy ride!

Many folks reported as you but then said their credit card was not charged $10.

I believe you get 2 comp'd meals per segment.  This is based on guests getting the 2 SD credits per segment already.

They specifically stated that a guest who booked two physical voyages B2B (say 7 + 7) will be assessed two Ocean Now fees of $15.  However, if guest booked the logical 14 night version, they will be assessed one Ocean Now fee.  Will that hold is a whole other question.

A WC booker for 95/111 nights or so is going to be assessed one $15 fee.

Edited by Steelers36