Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

You've cruised on NCL a half dozen times so just go back to them.  But, be forewarned, all of the main stream cruise lines are going through post Covid growing pains so changes are being made across the board and loyal cruisers of Celebrity, RCI, Carnival and NCL are all complaining.  Those that cruise on multiple cruise lines and keep up with the scuttlebutt on the various boards on Cruise Critic know that cruisers across various lines are upset about changes.

Yep all of them are making changes and all of them are raising prices in one way or another.

But those who are teetotalers and those who only cruise on Princess are possibly oblivious to the fact the Plus package @ 60 per day is the best value in the entire cruise industry for anyone looking for a close to all inclusive experience.  The 60 gives you drinks, wifi and grats all wrapped up together. On other lines if packaged together like Celebrity and if purchased a la carte on the other lines, it's substantially more than 60 bucks. On some Royal sailings it could be close to double that price.

The reason that the packages are increasing in price is because those cruisers that are looking for value still realize that it's a value purchase at 60.  On other lines you can't get the drink package with the drink package tips for 60 a day.  

I don't know how readable this screenshot will be, but I'm trying it. This is on a HAL Alaska sailing in September of 2025. Basic balcony pricing. $60 a day for HIA, and it has a really nice selection of goodies.

hia.png

Edited by Sea Hag

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Have you seen the large thread on these changes?  All the information is there.

Princess has always had several casual dining venues across the fleet and it varies as to which ones are on which ships, but all seem to have the Lido pizza, burgers and cones places.

Anyway, some of these casual dining places have food for a fee - like the new desserts, like juice bar, like O'Malley's, like Salty Dog.  The new change is that Alfredo's/Gigi's joins the for-fee list and is no longer free.  Menu items will be sold a la carte or guest can pay prix fixe $15 for 3-course/item meal.

If guest has new Plus (paid $60), they get two free visits to casual dining where it otherwise costs.  This is per booked voyage (regardless of length).  If guest has new Premier (paid $80), they get unlimited free casual dining.   The value of each visit is $15 and it is all consumed whether guest spends the full $15 or not.

If guest is on Old plans, they either pay as they go (like Standard guests), or they can upgrade to new Plus/Premier.

I think it was asked in the larger thread, but not sure if it has been confirmed - with new Plus, is it two free visits per person or per cabin regardless of how many people?

4 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I don't know how readable this screenshot will be, but I'm trying it. This is on a HAL Alaska sailing in September of 2025. Basic balcony pricing. $60 a day for HIA, and it has a really nice selection of goodies.

hia.png

It is better than HALs usual “Have it All” which doesn’t usually include Crew Appreciation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

hia.png

HALs HIA varies by the sale they are putting on sometimes it includes gratuities sometimes it does not, for example.  So you can catch some very good HIA rates.  We never get a package on Princess due to the Elite benefits and OBC.  We do get HIA on HAL when we catch it at a good price.

15 minutes ago, spunks said:

I think it is a damned shame that people would consider removing tips to get at the cruise lines.

I've been trying to get through all the pages of this thread since the day it started!! After reading the first 22, I skipped to page 45 and finally made it to page 51. Maybe I'll go back and read what I missed but I think I have the gist of things. And though it's hard for me to believe, I'm actually considering removing the tips, too. Not to get back at PCL or anyone else. But more because of the argument some have suggested that Princess has to make the best business decisions for themselves, and I have to make the decisions that suit my finances best. I will keep tipping on an individual basis, and further ponder how to handle the "fleet-wide" tipping. (That was news to me. Thought it was for the crew of the ship I was on.)

I will be cruising when all of this goes into effect. I find it appalling that there has been no notification to customers. The plus and premier packages make no sense for us, so I will not purchase them. Today I received an email pitching them (again) for my upcoming cruise. E-mail did not include the upcoming changes/benefits on the list.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, trin880 said:

I think it was asked in the larger thread, but not sure if it has been confirmed - with new Plus, is it two free visits per person or per cabin regardless of how many people?

It is 2 visits per person with Plus.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, portiemom said:

I've been trying to get through all the pages of this thread since the day it started!! After reading the first 22, I skipped to page 45 and finally made it to page 51. Maybe I'll go back and read what I missed but I think I have the gist of things. And though it's hard for me to believe, I'm actually considering removing the tips, too. Not to get back at PCL or anyone else. But more because of the argument some have suggested that Princess has to make the best business decisions for themselves, and I have to make the decisions that suit my finances best. I will keep tipping on an individual basis, and further ponder how to handle the "fleet-wide" tipping. (That was news to me. Thought it was for the crew of the ship I was on.)

I will be cruising when all of this goes into effect. I find it appalling that there has been no notification to customers. The plus and premier packages make no sense for us, so I will not purchase them. Today I received an email pitching them (again) for my upcoming cruise. E-mail did not include the upcoming changes/benefits on the list.

Princess went to a fleet wide pool several years ago in response to issues with crew assignments.  Crew wanted to be assigned to ships based out of the US because tipping was customary and a high percentage of passengers tipped.  They did not want to be assigned to ships sailing certain regions where a higher percentage of passengers were local and tipping was not a normal part of the culture.  They addressed the problem by making the pool fleet wide.  That way it did not matter where the ship was located the share of the pool was the same.

Remember back when all tipping was done by envelopes and how empty the MDR was on the final night when those envelopes were usually handed to the wait staff.

Also keep in mind that the pool also includes members of the hotel staff that support the people that you do see.  Kitchen staff for example, as well as laundry personnel.  

Edited by ldtr

You've cruised on NCL a half dozen times so just go back to them.  But, be forewarned, all of the main stream cruise lines are going through post Covid growing pains so changes are being made across the board and loyal cruisers of Celebrity, RCI, Carnival and NCL are all complaining.  Those that cruise on multiple cruise lines and keep up with the scuttlebutt on the various boards on Cruise Critic know that cruisers across various lines are upset about changes.

If that is the case, I have many other travel options to spend my money on. We enjoy cruising, but we do not enjoy being forced to pay for options we will not use. IMO, If all cruise lines follow this trend, they are going to lose a lot of clients. Travel and vacation options are a lot more accessible today thanks to the internet. I am sure there are people watching what the cruise lines are doing and they are planning to try and attract some of those clients over to their options.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spunks said:

I am not trying to tell Princess how to run their business......I am merely explaining why they may no longer have mine.

I find it curious that there are people on here that are minimizing my issues with this new policy while proclaiming these issues do not mean what I think they mean. I have been loyal to Princess for over 60 cruises. I simply wish they were loyal back.

There are many apologists on here whiners happy to support these regular price increase and benefit cuts.  It is what it is. 

Princess is not loyal to their past passengers.   Every decision made is about increasing profits and discouraging loyal passengers from future bookings.  They want to exchange black Medallions for blue because their research shows it will cost them less, and they in turn will spend more.  Again, it is what it is.  We are still cruising our remaining FCC's, but will monitor when the next cut in benefits and price increase occurs.  Given past history,  early 2024.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I do know NCL just implemented their Free At Sea Plus package, which I must say is a pretty good deal for an additional $49 pp/day on top of the $21 pp/day for the FAS beverage package for a total of $70 pp/day. 

IMG_3117.jpeg.6add7de963d27146ea9b9fce66849507.jpeg

Celebrity’s All Included hovers around $85 pp/day, depending on their supply and demand algorithm that day, and then figure another $35 pp/day, for a total of $120 pp/day, if you want to upgrade their AI Basic Internet service and Classic Drink package to Premium.

All Included: All Included applies to inside, ocean view, veranda, Concierge Class, or AquaClass® stateroom who book with the All Included Rate (“Eligible Bookings”). All guests in an Eligible Booking will receive a Classic Drink Package, Gratuities (“Tips”) Included, and an unlimited Basic Wi-Fi Package. All guests with an Eligible Booking in The Retreat will receive a Premium Drink Package, Tips Included, OBC and an unlimited Premium Wi-Fi Package. OBC amount varies by length of sailing and will be credited to guests’ stateroom folios. OBC has no cash value, is applicable to cruise only, non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and will expire if not used by 10:00 PM on the final night of the cruise. Guests with Wi-Fi Packages will receive instructions for Wi-Fi access in their staterooms on the first day of the cruise. All guests in the same stateroom must choose the same rate.

Both of the FAS or FAS plus packages do not include gratuities.  Those range from 20-25 pppd depending upon your cabin.  So that's 90-95 per day when compared to Princess and on Princess the wifi is unlimited for everyone.  On NCL only for those with the Plus package.  If you only have FAS, you only get 150 minutes.  So, what Princess offers is a much better value as I have mentioned in other posts.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Princess went to a fleet wide pool several years ago in response to issues with crew assignments.  Crew wanted to be assigned to ships based out of the US because tipping was customary and a high percentage of passengers tipped.  They did not want to be assigned to ships sailing certain regions where a higher percentage of passengers were local and tipping was not a normal part of the culture.  They addressed the problem by making the pool fleet wide.  That way it did not matter where the ship was located the share of the pool was the same.

Remember back when all tipping was done by envelopes and how empty the MDR was on the final night when those envelopes were usually handed to the wait staff.

Also keep in mind that the pool also includes members of the hotel staff that support the people that you do see.  Kitchen staff for example, as well as laundry personnel.  

So you're repeating what was stated, Americans are over charged on crew appreciation to supplement other countries. The dining room was never empty on any of my cruises when we tipped in cash, quite the contrary we were happy to see our tip going to the crew that deserved it. Now the pool has expanded to entertainment, revenue generating areas such a shops and shore excursions. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LeeW said:

Correct.  And you have to pay extra in cash (no account available on the lifeboat) if you are Standard.

Whew.   Since we always pay for the Plus package, we'd be covered.  But, are there scanners on the lifeboats to verify and confirm via our medallions that we have the package?

6 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Exactly - so Princess no longer stands out from the competition. What is there to make me (or anyone) choose Princess over the other lines? I used to be 100% loyal to Princess for many years, now I have no hesitation in choosing the competition. I will still cruise with them, but they are no longer my first choice/go to line. 

This year we have or will cruise on Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, Royal, NCL and MSC.  We have cruised on Carnival the most and like their new Excel Class ships. (Celebration & Mardi Gras) With Princess we have only sailed twice, 14 days each on Discovery and Majestic.  Currently have two 14 day sailings booked on both the Enchanted and the Sun, all within the next 25 months.

After adding Cheers and gratuities to our Carnival sailings, it's not much more to cruise on Princess.  The fact that there are substantially less cruisers as well as kids on Princess versus Carnival causes us to put Princess at the top of the food chain when it comes to future sailings.  We have recent first hand experience comparing Princess to their competition, so we're happy with our decision.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Both of the FAS or FAS plus packages do not include gratuities.  Those range from 20-25 pppd depending upon your cabin.  So that's 90-95 per day when compared to Princess and on Princess the wifi is unlimited for everyone.  On NCL only for those with the Plus package.  If you only have FAS, you only get 150 minutes.  So, what Princess offers is a much better value as I have mentioned in other posts.

True, the daily gratuities are not included. But with the FAS combined with their new FAS Plus packages, the first 2 guests also get $50 off each NCL excursion, 4 free specialty restaurant dinners, access to all alcohol beverages (not just up to $15 as with PCL Plus) and 40% off bottles of wine, and the airfare for the second guest is free. I’m not saying it’s better or worse, it just offers a variety of benefits for $70 (+ $21 for gratuities) pp/day.

NCL also gives 10% off your cruise fare (for both guests) if you are a military veteran, where as PCL only gives between $50 - $250 in NOBC for each veteran in a cabin, depending on the length of the cruise. NCL also allows a veteran to combine their Shareholder OBC with their military OBC whereas with PCL with their new rules, it’s either one or the other.

I’m not saying one is better than the other, just that they are different. In our case when we book an NCL cruise now, we have no issues paying the extra fees to get the FAS Plus package and definitely enjoy getting the 10% military discount off our cruise fare. 😁

Edited by Ken the cruiser

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Cruising has never been a good option for those looking for an immersive experience.  After all you're only in port for a few hours.  Lucky you, if you have an overnight stop.  Dollar for dollar cruising is still a good value because at minimum lodging, some form of a meal, whether it be MDR or buffet, and evening entertainment is included.

Airlines can't keep their airfares down because of increased fuel costs and the need to pay increasing wages as agreed to by unions.  Centrally located hotels are between $200 to $400 a night to try and recover from lost revenue during the pandemic and because of increased demand.  Entrance fees to most attractions have increased.

Price increases aren't just a problem of Princess or cruise lines. 

If you would have read my post correctly you be aware that I said airlines, hotels and rental car companies treat their Elite customers much better then Princess does now.  Last summer we flew from west coast in international first class, stayed in Hilton hotels for three weeks and had a free Hertz rental using their loyalty reward programs.  Princess’ loyalty program was weak to begin with and then they weakened it even more by making cuts.  

Cannot understand why people are fanning over how great these cheap charges are.  Princess is not the company it use to be and that is because it is being run by executives who came from Carnival.  Drink up.

But love how enthusiastic the Princess cheerleaders are being on paying Princess for extras that use to be part of the cruise price.  BRILLIANT!

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

NCL also gives 10% off your cruise fare (for both guests) if you are a veteran, where as PCL only gives between $50 - $250 in NOBC for each veteran in a cabin, depending on the length of the cruise. NCL also allows a veteran to combine their Shareholder OBC with their military OBC whereas with PCL with their new rules, it’s either one or the other.

What I have found with NCL (and it's been a while since I sailed them) was that the military discount was still higher prices than the sale that they had going on (and they always had a sale of some kind).  Also, everyone I tried to use NCLs shareholder benefit it couldn't be combined with the fare I was using as the benefit is not combinable with any other offer (unlike Carnival Corp.)

26 minutes ago, rideev said:

What I have found with NCL (and it's been a while since I sailed them) was that the military discount was still higher prices than the sale that they had going on (and they always had a sale of some kind).  Also, everyone I tried to use NCLs shareholder benefit it couldn't be combined with the fare I was using as the benefit is not combinable with any other offer (unlike Carnival Corp.)

As far as the 10% military discount since it only started in Nov 2022 on cruises starting after Jan 1, 2023, it appears they abandoned their old military discount “special offer” perk. As far as their SOBC, we’ve had no issues having it added to each leg of our Nov 2022 38-day B2B, our Jan 2023 cruise, and 5 future cruises, all of which had other sale promotions. So apparently NCL has made a variety of promotional changes to be more competitive with their competitors.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

So you're repeating what was stated, Americans are over charged on crew appreciation to supplement other countries. The dining room was never empty on any of my cruises when we tipped in cash, quite the contrary we were happy to see our tip going to the crew that deserved it. Now the pool has expanded to entertainment, revenue generating areas such a shops and shore excursions. 

I remember the opposite of empty dining rooms.  I remember having to wait to thank the crew and get pictures with them.  That daily added charge isn't "crew appreciation" it's just an added surcharge (of which a percentage is deducted for accounting expenses) to help cruise lines pay their help.  I just consider it part of my cruise fare and those crew members I appreciate get slipped some cash.

(P.S.  I'm not in any way a Princess fan or fan or any cruise line.  Normally I seem to enjoy RCI better overall but we choose our cruises on a number of things; ports, price, where they leave from, time of year, etc.  For instance my next cruise is on Princess and it was picked because it sails roundtrip out of Vancouver where I've never visited and it also makes a stop in Seattle that I've been wanting to visit again.  Also it'll be cool the end of Sept and I live in Arizona 🙂 )

Edited by Megamixer
Clarification
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

There are many apologists on here whiners happy to support these regular price increase and benefit cuts.  It is what it is. 

Princess is not loyal to their past passengers.   Every decision made is about increasing profits and discouraging loyal passengers from future bookings.  They want to exchange black Medallions for blue because their research shows it will cost them less, and they in turn will spend more.  Again, it is what it is.  We are still cruising our remaining FCC's, but will monitor when the next cut in benefits and price increase occurs.  Given past history,  early 2024.

Not trying to be an apologist.  It is what it is when it comes to price increases.

Everyone is aware of the astronomical debt Princess and other cruise lines had to incur during the pandemic.  Inflation is up and interest rates are up.  That is…unless you have been living under a rock for the past few years.

Princess has to raise revenue to make ends meet and service their debt.  Defaulting would cause even bigger repercussions.  

This is the fairest way, in the sense of everyone gets what they paid for.  Those that book Princess Standard have to pay for RS.  This is better than increasing the fare across the board for all, when not everyone uses room service.

Even airlines are now cutting back benefits.  For those flying first domestically with no status, lounge access is no longer granted.  If they want lounge privileges they have to pay for a day pass.

On Viking, shore excursions are included, but sign ups are class based.  Those in suites get first dibs when signing up.  Everyone is guaranteed an excursion, but you’re not guaranteed a spot on you’re preferred excursion; you might be on an alternative one.  The all inclusive pricing they offer isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

• Like 4