Changed booking - loss of onboard credit and increase in price!

marshaatn

Hi all,

I have a sky suite booked on the Celebrity Ascent for December 31, 2023. I originally booked this several months ago as a single person, but since that time I have a friend who wants to join. My TA called to add the person. This resulted in my loss of a $200 of my onboard credit, plus the price increased by about $2,000.00. 

This is the first time I have had this happen when making a change to an existing booking when not changing the ship or the date of sailing. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this just the way it is now? Many thanks. 

Sadly, if you booked as a single, rather than TBD, it means they re-price and go with the current promotion rather than what you originally booked with. 

When they are requiring a 100% single supplement, you are better off listing a second person as TBD and that will let you add a second person later on.  Otherwise, you just tell them you are not bringing a second and they should refund the taxes/fees on the 2nd person and not charge the onboard gratuities for the second. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have noticed several postings stating loss of OBC for on board booking when any change at all is made to a booking. Happened to me and I only changed cabin class. I know that as long as the reservation number remains unchanged, that OBC for on board booking is SUPPOSED to stay with the reservation number. But not happening lately. My TA tried to fight it, but no luck so far.  I also spoke with someone in customer service  who said any change to the booking would result in loss of this OBC. I am going to be in Retreat  in about 8 weeks, and am going to make an appointment to speak with the Next Cruise manager on board. If the folks in Miami are going to remove this OBC, then Next Cruise should be telling people that fact. 

We repriced a onboard suite booking.  No ship, sail date, category or even room change and we lost the  $200  onboard booking OBC.  It is a repo so not a lot of OBC.  We are now seeing a significant price drop on another repo and the TA has advised we will lose the $200 onboard booking OBC.

These cruises are booked with 2 different TA's and neither has been successful with keeping the OBC.

Another under the radar change.

• Thanks 2

My limited understanding is that when the booking is under a non-refundable deposit, any any any change will result in having to scrap the booking and begin again. No changes mean no changes. 

I will keep my eyes on this thread. 

On 7/31/2023 at 2:45 PM, 39august said:

I have noticed several postings stating loss of OBC for on board booking when any change at all is made to a booking. Happened to me and I only changed cabin class. I know that as long as the reservation number remains unchanged, that OBC for on board booking is SUPPOSED to stay with the reservation number. But not happening lately. My TA tried to fight it, but no luck so far.  I also spoke with someone in customer service  who said any change to the booking would result in loss of this OBC. I am going to be in Retreat  in about 8 weeks, and am going to make an appointment to speak with the Next Cruise manager on board. If the folks in Miami are going to remove this OBC, then Next Cruise should be telling people that fact. 

Have you questioned the executive office about this?   We have always been told by Future Cruises that this OBC follows the booking number regardless of changes to rate, ship, sail date.  That's the way it has worked for the last 20 years of onboard bookings I've done with many/many changes.

• 4 months later...
On 7/31/2023 at 2:15 PM, marshaatn said:

Hi all,

I have a sky suite booked on the Celebrity Ascent for December 31, 2023. I originally booked this several months ago as a single person, but since that time I have a friend who wants to join. My TA called to add the person. This resulted in my loss of a $200 of my onboard credit, plus the price increased by about $2,000.00. 

This is the first time I have had this happen when making a change to an existing booking when not changing the ship or the date of sailing. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this just the way it is now? Many thanks. 

I had the same experience when I tried to add my granddaughter to a Christmas booking.  It was so expensive to add her, I passed.  Forward to another booking a placed a few months ago, I made sure I booked my cabin as a TBD at the time, and a few days ago, I added my daughter to the booking.  There was no extra charges added to the booking.  So If solo for the cabin, always do a TBD for the second person.  You can always cancel that TBD  and you would get a credit of port charges .

7 minutes ago, Missymo said:

I had the same experience when I tried to add my granddaughter to a Christmas booking.  It was so expensive to add her, I passed.  Forward to another booking a placed a few months ago, I made sure I booked my cabin as a TBD at the time, and a few days ago, I added my daughter to the booking.  There was no extra charges added to the booking.  So If solo for the cabin, always do a TBD for the second person.  You can always cancel that TBD  and you would get a credit of port charges .

In general, they are squeezing out every dime they can!

Pretty soon TAs won't want to deal with X if their clientele get screXed.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 1:15 PM, marshaatn said:

Hi all,

This happened to me recently. I have upcoming Feb 2024 sailing that I was going solo.  Wanted to add a second person.  Called twice and both agents said prevailing rates would apply and tried to reprice and increase by $2k.  I thought it was odd, because I did not get solo discount or anything, paid the full solo supplement. 

I called a 3rd time and was said it would take him a bit because he would need to work the system to keep my pricing but just add second passenger's taxes.  he did it and I only paid for the extra taxes.  Not sure if the other agents were lazy and didn't want to do the work or didn't know.  I had other people comment that this has happened to them to, one agent reprices and another agent doesn't.  

• Thanks 1