Follow up to "what if" game

2 hours ago, sadiwest said:

Yeah opening myself up to a lambasting either way so...

Dh tested positive...two home tests and a clinic.    Clinic told him to quarantine for 72 hours then mask up in public for x number of days. I dont remember how many. 

We really pondered and stressed. In the end we excluded dd's friend from the equation and ruled out dh lying on his questionnaire.  Yes there is one and it asks if you've had symptoms in the most recent so many days.

Taking everything into account, including dd and my health, as well as there being no available cruises prior to the school year (including if we flew to a port) that we could switch to....   we landed on what seemed like the best option.

We decided dd and I would go tomorrow.  I booked a flight and car service for dh to meet us at a port knowing he'd miss the embarkation tomorrow.  He'd be meeting us after the quarantine period and masking up as directed.  

In the end we couldn't go all of us tomorrow and feel good about it.  As an aside, dd's friend is able to join us given that dh won't be joining us for the first couple days.  Additionally, dh is taking the anti viral as prescribed.   

No trip will be 100% guaranteed illness free. We're doing the best we can. This was an extraordinarily stressful day and decision, and I know that no matter what, there are people who will disagree with what we decided to do. 

Why did you start a new thread rather than returning to your original one?

47 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I can't remember your itinerary but doing this could be a violation of the PVSA. 

If your cruise is a closed loop cruise (starts and ends at the same US port) you cannot board the ship at a different US port.  He would have to board at a foreign port. 

Let's see I've gotten a verbal tongue lashing for even starting a new thread so I will just start by saying thank you for being grntle/kind about this.

BIGGEST UPDATE OF THEM ALL....

Long story short (too late) the trip is canceled.   We THOUGHT we had insurance but didn't.   Originally I'd booked 3 people when I should have booked 4.   That was another post.

The day I called to change the booking/cabin for 4, the RCCL rep removed the trip insurance but didn't advise me. I hadn't noticed it missing on the paperwork because the trip was paid in full....I didn't even look at the paperwork. 

As it happens they still allow refunds for proven positive covid tests with 5 days of sailing.   However, because the final manifest has been sent to whoever, thectrip can't be "cancelled" and no refund will be processed until after the cruise is over.  Then, can take 30 days.

So where does that leave us?

4 extraordinarily disappointed people....three of whom are emotionally spent, one of whom is sick (but in surprisingly good spirits), and one of whom ordered a pizza and garlic knots at 9:30 pm because why the heck not!?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sadiwest said:

As it happens they still allow refunds for proven positive covid tests with 5 days of sailing.   However, because the final manifest has been sent to whoever, thectrip can't be "cancelled" and no refund will be processed until after the cruise is over.  Then, can take 30 days.

That is standard and nothing to eorry about.  Sorry things turned out this way.

Good to know they are still doing the Covid refunds. 

6 minutes ago, RyderJ201 said:

That stinks. At least you will get the money back and can start planning again. It would have stunk to have him fly to Florida, just to have to turn around. Next time bigger and better. 

You're right and, in actuality, I appreciate that everyone who brought it up did so....

It would have been great for the kidsbut I'd have missed out on my vacation partner's company. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

So where does that leave us?

4 extraordinarily disappointed people....three of whom are emotionally spent, one of whom is sick (but in surprisingly good spirits), and one of whom ordered a pizza and garlic knots at 9:30 pm because why the heck not!?

I am so sorry about your vacation plans. I think you need a bottle of wine to go with that pizza while you plan something fun to do this week. Maybe a staycation or a road trip in a few days when everyone is feeling better.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sdteacher said:

I am so sorry about your vacation plans. I think you need a bottle of wine to go with that pizza while you plan something fun to do this week. Maybe a staycation or a road trip in a few days when everyone is feeling better.

Pizza and garlic knots are a distant memory (burp). Now to try to come up with a trip worthy of roading somewhere for kids and adults. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadiwest said:

You're right and, in actuality, I appreciate that everyone who brought it up did so....

It would have been great for the kidsbut I'd have missed out on my vacation partner's company. 

I thought they had changed one being able to down line. Sorry it didn’t work out that way, but it will be better next time when he is feeling better.

3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I thought they had changed one being able to down line. Sorry it didn’t work out that way, but it will be better next time when he is feeling better.

He still wouldn't be able to board in a US port.