The Points Guy review of Crystal Serenity

Stickman1990

7 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

A

P.S. Not sure what they meant by nickel and diming on Oceania. The only thing not included on Oceania is the alcohol. Even SS charges for 2 out of 8 dining venues while on O all specialty restaurants are free.

They didn't elaborate.

I am not sure if this changed but a friend of mine who sailed Oceania with family a few years ago said you had to purchase special coins at the front desk to use the self service washers/dryers.  If this hasn't changed that would be an example.

Do you pay for pressing on board? They stay in a suite here where pressing is included.

Keith

8 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

They didn't elaborate.

I am not sure if this changed but a friend of mine who sailed Oceania with family a few years ago said you had to purchase special coins at the front desk to use the self service washers/dryers.  If this hasn't changed that would be an example.

Do you pay for pressing on board? They stay in a suite here where pressing is included.

Keith

I'm pretty sure that self laundry and self pressing is included. If you want them to do it, you pay, but suites get 3 bags free.

In any case, I wouldn't call it nickel and diming. I believe on SS laundry is also not free (except for self laundry). No line is truly all inclusive. You can always find items that are not free on any line.

btw, how specialty restaurants work on Crystal? Someone mentioned that you get one visit for free and pay if you want more? 

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I'm pretty sure that self laundry and self pressing is included. If you want them to do it, you pay, but suites get 3 bags free.

In any case, I wouldn't call it nickel and diming. I believe on SS laundry is also not free (except for self laundry). No line is truly all inclusive. You can always find items that are not free on any line.

btw, how specialty restaurants work on Crystal? Someone mentioned that you get one visit for free and pay if you want more? 

First I never said Crystal is inclusive. I just stated what our friends said about Oceania. Those are the words they said.

You get one visit inclusive for two of the specialty restaurants (some get more depending on accommodation, cruise (full world cruise) and if they have sailed 50 or more cruises plus no charge for Supper Club and no up charge for Tastes.

Nothing on any cruise line is free. In the end you pay.

And specialty restaurants across all lines are not created equally.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

First I never said Crystal is inclusive. I just stated what our friends said about Oceania. Those are the words they said.

You get one visit inclusive for two of the specialty restaurants (some get more depending on accommodation, cruise (full world cruise) and if they have sailed 50 or more cruises plus no charge for Supper Club and no up charge for Tastes.

Nothing on any cruise line is free. In the end you pay.

And specialty restaurants across all lines are not created equally.

I find this system very fair (instead of charging for 2 out of 8 restaurants like SS does).

We know people who sailed on O, tried Crystal and came back to O because they considered food better on O and didn't care much about the entertainment.

Everyone has an opinion, but there are facts that are hard to dispute. O has weaknesses like every line, but it is definitely NOT nickel and diming.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

I find this system very fair (instead of charging for 2 out of 8 restaurants like SS does).

We know people who sailed on O, tried Crystal and came back to O because they considered food better on O and didn't care much about the entertainment.

Everyone has an opinion, but there are facts that are hard to dispute. O has weaknesses like every line, but it is definitely NOT nickel and diming.

Well using coins for the washers and dryers is literally nickel and diming (or maybe literally quartering).  🙂  But it doesn't really seem very significant.  Nevertheless, insignificant things can still be annoying, and to some even more annoying than significant things.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tryber said:

Well using coins for the washers and dryers is literally nickel and diming (or maybe literally quartering).  🙂  But it doesn't really seem very significant.  Nevertheless, insignificant things can still be annoying, and to some even more annoying than significant things.  

Well, for some people showing a card each time you order a drink (even if you have the drinks package) is annoying. Some people don't want to show their card at all, so even non included excursions on Crystal or SB can be annoying, and those people might prefer SS (but then they will need to show their card when booking 2 out of 8 restaurants).

We all have some insignificant things that annoy us, the question is how the majority of people feels? No line will ever satisfy everyone (as other things in life). We were happy on all small ships we sailed on (SS, O, C and Azamara) and tried not to get the small things to annoy us.

2 hours ago, tryber said:

Oceania eliminated the charge for using the washers and dryers some time ago, so there's no nickel and diming there .

4 hours ago, crickette said:

Can someone enlighten me, please?  Why is Ritz Carleton never included when comparing luxury lines, S, SS, R and C?  Haven't sailed them, but thought they would be on this playing field.

Probably because very very very few people have cruise on Ritz at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Probably because very very very few people have cruise on Ritz at the moment.

They also seem to be maintaining a very low profile. I did not even know they had gotten the first ship in service!🤨

16 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Absolutely! And we all have to respect other people's choices and preferences. 

At the end of the day, most people that I know, consider a ship just a floating hotel that helps them to see the world. Nothing more, nothing less. Except for the inclusions and the cabin size, most people won't probably even see much difference between SS, NC, SB, O, Viking etc.

P.S. Not sure what they meant by nickel and diming on Oceania. The only thing not included on Oceania is the alcohol. Even SS charges for 2 out of 8 dining venues while on O all specialty restaurants are free.

Just to clarify a few things about Oceania (why not? others are), we cruised on two segments of the Oceania world cruise. Personal note: I never think of anything on any cruise line to be "free", it's either included in the fare or not. Oceania is OK for us when the itinerary, timing, and fare is acceptable for the value.

We agree that there is no "nickel and  diming" on Oceania. I reserve the term for the cruise lines that sell "gold" by the inch. I think we would agree that the term "all-inclusive" is just a marketing term. "The Finest Cuisine at Sea" is also just a marketing term. Note that the term is a registered trademark by Oceania with the US government.

You and I know different people -- no particular reason we should know the same people. Our friends and acquaintances who cruise do not consider the ship to be merely a floating hotel. They expect more and are willing to pay for more.

In addition to the charge for alcohol, Oceania does charge $18 per day per guest for gratuities, $23 per guest per day for the suites with butler service. Additionally (quoted from the Oceania website) a 20% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion. End quote. In slightly over two decades of cruising we have never reduced the expected gratuity anywhere.

Wifi is included in the Oceania fare with the stipulation that only one device per stateroom can be on-line at a time. A second login can be purchased for $24.99 per day, or $34.98 per day for Wavenet Prime.

Different strokes, different expectations, different analysis of value. In the end we all follow our individual preferences, we all find our own joy in cruising.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shorex said:

Just to clarify a few things about Oceania (why not? others are), we cruised on two segments of the Oceania world cruise. Personal note: I never think of anything on any cruise line to be "free", it's either included in the fare or not. Oceania is OK for us when the itinerary, timing, and fare is acceptable for the value.

We agree that there is no "nickel and  diming" on Oceania. I reserve the term for the cruise lines that sell "gold" by the inch. I think we would agree that the term "all-inclusive" is just a marketing term. "The Finest Cuisine at Sea" is also just a marketing term. Note that the term is a registered trademark by Oceania with the US government.

You and I know different people -- no particular reason we should know the same people. Our friends and acquaintances who cruise do not consider the ship to be merely a floating hotel. They expect more and are willing to pay for more.

In addition to the charge for alcohol, Oceania does charge $18 per day per guest for gratuities, $23 per guest per day for the suites with butler service. Additionally (quoted from the Oceania website) a 20% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while on board the vessel at their sole discretion. End quote. In slightly over two decades of cruising we have never reduced the expected gratuity anywhere.

Wifi is included in the Oceania fare with the stipulation that only one device per stateroom can be on-line at a time. A second login can be purchased for $24.99 per day, or $34.98 per day for Wavenet Prime.

Different strokes, different expectations, different analysis of value. In the end we all follow our individual preferences, we all find our own joy in cruising.

All true.

We expect more too - this is why sail on O/SS/SB etc and not on Celebrity/Princess. But at some point, the improvement becomes very marginal and not worth the price difference. At least not for us. The jump in the overall experience from Celebrity to Oceania is huge, but the improvement is only marginal from O to SS or Crystal. Is it worth it? Depends on the price difference.

Yes, Oceania price excludes gratuities - but a good TA will usually cover them. We paid gratuities only once out of 4 cruises on O. And they are included once you reach 10 credits (two segments of the Oceania world cruise would probably get you there, or pretty close).

We don't drink so this aspect is not important to us, but my understanding is that 20% is added only to individual drinks, not to drink packages.

Starting from October, WiFi on O will include 2 devices per cabin.

Before Crystal inauguration sailing, I looked at Crystal prices and could not justify paying 20-25% more than SS. Reading the latest comments, I'm even more convinced that the value is not there, and there are many better choices in terms of value for money. But obviously many people will disagree.

The old Crystal was 20-25% cheaper than other luxury lines for entry level cabins (don't know about higher suites), and for a good reason. If they could charge more, they would. Now they are 20-25% more expensive. Yes, the ships are renovated, but they are still 21-28 years old, and they don't get any younger, and the entry level cabins are still 30% smaller than rest of the luxury lines.

Time will tell if people will pay those prices or Crystal will need to adjust. 

In any case, I really wish them luck. More competition is always good, even if at this point I don't consider Crystal a viable option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roland4 said:

They also seem to be maintaining a very low profile. I did not even know they had gotten the first ship in service!🤨

This prompted me to look at the message board for Ritz Carlton.  Not much activity, but there is an extensive review from December 2022 and a video review at the end of that thread.  The cabin looks nice, and the food looks great, but it's quite expensive and entertainment is like a hotel lounge.  It really just seems to be very nice floating hotel, and the menus don't change, so it's hard to see spending more than a week on the boat.  Might be worth trying for a very short cruise with interesting ports, but otherwise not really competition for Crystal.

4 hours ago, Shorex said:

Thank you so much for providing the additional details.

For my friends they viewed this as N&D.  That was their opinion.

They had become used to not seeing these types of items on their account. 

Would I have said that they did? We will never know. But to them this is how they saw it.  I do have another friend who sailed them with his family a couple of times  (like many aspects) and said the same thing. 

We all see things differently and as I always say in the end there is only one opinion that matters and that is our very own.

Keith

On 8/8/2023 at 5:26 PM, ivyleaguegent said:

If one selects cruise lines based on itinerary and price why sail on an ultra premium cruise line at all?  Why not sail on Oceana, Azmara, or even Celebrity?  To me, the cruise ship IS the destination.  I have sailed on SS, SB, and Regent post Covid and and, of course, OC pre-pandemic.  Crystal is certainly no more expensive than Regent and Regent's entry level balcony cabins are tiny.  SB's smallest cabin is 300 sq ft (not including the balcony).  Why then do passengers pay substantially more to sail on Regent than on SB?  It's because the food, service, enrichment programs, and overall experience on Regent is FAR superior.  If Crystal is as good or better than its previous incarnation any fare disparity between it and SS and/or SB will be well worth it. As the old adage states "you get what you pay for."

Crystal is far above the other luxury lines and even better than before. My only regret is that I have to get off in 2 days. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Thank you so much for providing the additional details.

For my friends they viewed this as N&D.  That was their opinion.

They had become used to not seeing these types of items on their account. 

Would I have said that they did? We will never know. But to them this is how they saw it.  I do have another friend who sailed them with his family a couple of times  (like many aspects) and said the same thing. 

We all see things differently and as I always say in the end there is only one opinion that matters and that is our very own.

Keith

Well, O has been in business for 20 years, with 7 very successful ships and one more on its way. Must be doing something right. But obviously you cannot please everyone. What some people view as a great value others view as N&D. 

• Haha 1

some people still bring up the old ship issue - since there is basically nothing that passengers see/use that hasn't been redone what is it about the age of the ship that makes you not want to go.  Ever stay at an "old" hotel?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Well, O has been in business for 20 years, with 7 very successful ships and one more on its way. Must be doing something right. But obviously you cannot please everyone. What some people view as a great value others view as N&D. 

My next door neighbors who liked Oceania were disappointed on their sailing from a couple of months ago and won't return They said cutback.  And our friends on board said nickel and diming.  

I am just sharing what four people who I personally know shared with me, unsolicited.

Keith

13 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

My next door neighbors who liked Oceania were disappointed on their sailing from a couple of months ago and won't return They said cutback.  And our friends on board said nickel and diming.  

I am just sharing what four people who I personally know shared with me, unsolicited.

Keith

Of course. 

And yet the ships always sail full, and the only line I have seen was in the Oceania Club Ambassador office (and there are always two of them and there is always a line). 

Some people are never happy. You can read many negative review on every cruise line, including the top lines like SS, SB and Regent.

For the record: I have nothing against Crystal. We enjoyed our cruise on Crystal very much and did consider it a step above Oceania (but not a huge one). I would love to try Crystal again, I just don't think their current prices are competitive. If things change price wise, we will be on one of their ships for sure.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Of course. 

And yet the ships always sail full, and the only line I have seen was in the Oceania Club Ambassador office (and there are always two of them and there is always a line). 

Some people are never happy. You can read many negative review on every cruise line, including the top lines like SS, SB and Regent.

For the record: I have nothing against Crystal. We enjoyed our cruise on Crystal very much and did consider it a step above Oceania (but not a huge one). I would love to try Crystal again, I just don't think their current prices are competitive. If things change price wise, we will be on one of their ships for sure.

I am not sure how we started to discuss Oceania but I am reminded this is the Crystal board.  If it's not for you that's fine but most people on this board sail Crystal. Oceania is not a line I am interested in and there are other lines that don't work for me so I focus my attending on the boards of CC including ports that I am interested it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I would love to try Crystal again, I just don't think their current prices are competitive. If things change price wise, we will be on one of their ships for sure.

Gross Tonnage Serenity  68,870     Passenger capacity  740

Riviera    66,084                                     1200+

End of conversation.

• Like 5

On 8/6/2023 at 9:05 PM, saminina said:

Thanks to FlyerTalker for The Points Guy Story.  Smartest (non) move by Red Ventures was to not mess with the name.  Much like the current owners of Crystal.

Looking forward to boarding Serenity in February.   Very pleasant reading current comments.  Makes me wish I had not locked in Explora for much of fourth quarter.  Paying maybe 50% more for NC vs. OC for a dinky cabin, but going solo it's not a big deal.  Crew and cuisine + booze and I'm content.

Saminina---Are you on the San Diego to Papeete to Auckland segments?  We have a roll call.  I hope we can all meet for a drink one night.  Julia

35 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I am not sure how we started to discuss Oceania but I am reminded this is the Crystal board.  If it's not for you that's fine but most people on this board sail Crystal. Oceania is not a line I am interested in and there are other lines that don't work for me so I focus my attending on the boards of CC including ports that I am interested it.

Probably because someone mentioned food on Oceania, and then you mentioned your friends who complained about nickel and diming on Oceania (mentioning the coins for laundry that were cancelled years ago).

30 minutes ago, saminina said:

Gross Tonnage Serenity  68,870     Passenger capacity  740

Riviera    66,084                                     1200+

End of conversation.

Vista: age - 0, entry level cabins (french veranda) 240 sqft, dining 0ptions - 8

Serenity: age - 21, entry level cabins (ocean view) - 210 sqft, dining options - 5?

End of conversation.

Edited by ak1004