The Points Guy review of Crystal Serenity

Stickman1990

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

I really hope SS will never be like Celebrity.

But you have to admit that the cabins are fabulous. The certain between the bed and the sitting area was a game changer for us. Unlimited black caviar was also very nice. Variety and quality of food. In many areas SS is at least as good as Crystal.

Mercedes is no better than BMW, and BMW is no better than Audi. Comparable products, this is why they have comparable prices. No reason it should be different in cruise lines. The clients don't really care that Crystal has to recoup their investment..

I think Regent has the curtain between the bed and sitting area too. I distinctly remember DH working through the night on one Regent trip.

SS has very good itineraries.

We are Volvo drivers and have driven them for over 35 years. So therein hangs a tale. 

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

How about infrastructure? Plumbing? A/C? Everything has been replaced on Crystal?

How about double ceiling lounges on the Silver Nova? 

The list is very long.

I've never had an issue with infrastructure, plumbing or AC on a Crystal ship.  Why do I care if everything has been replaced, as long as it's replaced before it presents a problem to the customer?  None of the new ships I've looked at have anything equivalent to the Crystal Promenade decks that go all the way around the ship.  That's something I use every day.  I don't really care that much about a nicer looking lounge.  

• Like 2

As someone has yet to post here and is enjoying his Serenity cruise says -- choice is good.

We agree and chose to cruise based on good choices -- there is no one best product.

There is so much good product out there and so much new product out there that has yet to prove itself in the long term (I include NC and Explora here).  Lots of new ships coming from most of the luxury lines with larger staterooms.  I love my Corvettes and a C2 is nice but a C8 is awesome.

For us it is about the itinerary.  So we will try Explora, and retry Silversea (post Covid and RCCL). We like Regent, but their prices can be out of sight.  Like Seabourn but only for special unique cruises. May try NC if a good itinerary presents itself.

As stockholder of several of them -- right now it is about maximizing profits.  Revenue is good but profits are low because of higher costs.  Expect service and reductions on all these lines from small to the ridiculous  - like SS raising La Dame surcharges on Nova from $60pp to $160pp.  Things like this will influence our decisions.

• Like 2

I'm the one who said I felt Nickel and Dimed On Oceania.  We did not like the beverage packages because we did not like the wine offerings and the Alcohol was not top shelf.    We paid for better wine and paid corkage for bringing it onboard.   Some days there was NOTHING to do on board on Oceania and on our last Regent Cruise as well.  On Regent the All Inclusive Shore Excursions were just horrible and it reminded me why we stopped sailing with them.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I'm the one who said I felt Nickel and Dimed On Oceania.  We did not like the beverage packages because we did not like the wine offerings and the Alcohol was not top shelf.    We paid for better wine and paid corkage for bringing it onboard.   Some days there was NOTHING to do on board on Oceania and on our last Regent Cruise as well.  On Regent the All Inclusive Shore Excursions were just horrible and it reminded me why we stopped sailing with them.

Well, the prices and the offerings of the beverage packages are well known in advance. All cruise lines have wines that are extra (including Crystal that markets itself as all inclusive). The quality of those wines is a different issue and has nothing to do with Nickel and Dimed. Oceania is not all inclusive and doesn't pretend to be, this is why it costs less (which is beneficial to people who don't drink). Some people like the all inclusive model, some prefer a la carte. 

I do agree that entertainment and activities are not the strongest aspect of Oceania, but what does it have to do with Nickel and Dimed?

Oceania has some shortcomings, Nickel and Dime is definitely not one of them. But of course you need to realize that this is not an all inclusive line and there will be some extra charges.

Edited by ak1004

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I do agree that entertainment and activities are not the strongest aspect of Oceania, but what does it have to do with Nickel and Dimed?

True, they're not related.  But there were many charges for things - like beverages and additional tips. It's okay for you to have a difference of opinion. I won't be on an Oceania (or Regent) Cruise in the near future.

IMO there is a difference between true Nickel and Dime cruise lines like NCL, which market below-cost cabin prices and make all their profit by charging for practically everything but the air you breathe [and I suspect they're working on that...] and Oceania which was designed to provide luxury on an à la carte basis, giving customers the ability to pay for only those amenities that they personally enjoy.  Sadly, Oceania has now abandoned that business plan and become Regent-lite.  Unless they bring back 'cruise only' pricing, we are done with them – for completely different reasons than ChatKat...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:18 AM, tryber said:

I don't really care that much about a nicer looking lounge.  

@tryber

You asked about the cost of the Vintage Room in another thread - interestingly the Points Guy covered it off in his review 

For a private room you can pay pretty much from the minimum for 12 guests (I’m pretty sure it’s that from the last time we did one) - so $3600 - and up as you can pay for even better wines if you want

If you only have say 6 guests rather then 12 you will get better wines included as they don’t have to pour the volume required for a 12 person room - and if that’s not appropriate you can pay more and get better quality wines 

The choice is yours

From his review:

“Finally, Crystal Serenity has a special 14-seat dining room called the Vintage Room that guests can book for exclusive private dinners that combine an elegant set menu of five to seven dishes with wine pairings for each course. Seven-course meals in the room including wines, are presented over about three hours in the room and cost $300 per person.

20230728_Crystal-Serenity_GSloan-126.jpg
The Vintage Room. GENE SLOAN/THE POINTS GUY

A shorter five-course food and wine pairing in the Vintage Room is available for $220 per person. Occasional seven-course meals overseen by celebrity chefs that sail on the ship cost $1,100 per person, including wine pairings”

On 8/11/2023 at 10:48 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

make all their profit by charging for practically everything but the air you breathe [and I suspect they're working on that...]

Don't give them any ideas, Beau! Isn't there a ship that has an oxygen bar in the spa? Extra charge, naturally.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

@tryber

You asked about the cost of the Vintage Room in another thread - interestingly the Points Guy covered it off in his review 

For a private room you can pay pretty much from the minimum for 12 guests (I’m pretty sure it’s that from the last time we did one) - so $3600 - and up as you can pay for even better wines if you want

If you only have say 6 guests rather then 12 you will get better wines included as they don’t have to pour the volume required for a 12 person room - and if that’s not appropriate you can pay more and get better quality wines 

The choice is yours

From his review:

“Finally, Crystal Serenity has a special 14-seat dining room called the Vintage Room that guests can book for exclusive private dinners that combine an elegant set menu of five to seven dishes with wine pairings for each course. Seven-course meals in the room including wines, are presented over about three hours in the room and cost $300 per person.

20230728_Crystal-Serenity_GSloan-126.jpg

The Vintage Room. GENE SLOAN/THE POINTS GUY

A shorter five-course food and wine pairing in the Vintage Room is available for $220 per person. Occasional seven-course meals overseen by celebrity chefs that sail on the ship cost $1,100 per person, including wine pairings”

Thanks..  So if you do the 6 person option, it's still $3,600?  So, it's $600 per person.  I have done Vintage Room a few times in the past, but we did not do it with a private group.  I just indicated interest, and the sommelier organized a group, so there really weren't these choices.  The sommelier just picked the wines.  

We moved to SS when Crystal was out of service.  

What we like better on SS:  much larger cabin for the price; included (good) shore excursions; more dining venues for all meals

What we like better on (old) Crystal:  entertainment, great optional shore excursions (but pricey), dress code, and a slight nod to service. 

We will try Crystal again if there’s an itinerary we like. 

I don’t think one is better than the other.  Just different. Go with what you like and don’t criticize those who make different choices.  

• Like 6

On 8/16/2023 at 10:24 AM, tryber said:

Thanks..  So if you do the 6 person option, it's still $3,600?  So, it's $600 per person.  I have done Vintage Room a few times in the past, but we did not do it with a private group.  I just indicated interest, and the sommelier organized a group, so there really weren't these choices.  The sommelier just picked the wines.  

If you do a private vintage room it is the same minimum whether it is for one person or 14 on Serenity or or 1 person or 12 on Symphony. Serenity is slightly higher as it can sit 14 whereas Symphony is 12.

I would verity the price with the sommelier ahead of time since the Points Guy didn't do a VR.

On the private VR there are three food menus to choose from either selecting one full menu or a combination of items across all menus.  There is also a vegetarian menu.

While we could choose wines/champagne I let the Sommelier select the wine. They know us well so they know our preferences in terms of what I would prefer the pricey wines are but we talk about all of this ahead of time. For example, we've had themes and then the Sommelier finds wine that works for the theme.

We thoroughly enjoyed the VR as did those we invited to attend. This is another thing which hasn't changed and to my knowledge no other cruise line (at least luxury) has a true equivalent to the Crystal VR.

Keith

9 hours ago, ggo85 said:

We moved to SS when Crystal was out of service.  

What we like better on SS:  much larger cabin for the price; included (good) shore excursions; more dining venues for all meals

What we like better on (old) Crystal:  entertainment, great optional shore excursions (but pricey), dress code, and a slight nod to service. 

We will try Crystal again if there’s an itinerary we like. 

I don’t think one is better than the other.  Just different. Go with what you like and don’t criticize those who make different choices.  

Spot on.

26 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Reports from Silver Nova maiden voyage are saying its a game changer.

Photos of the ship look good and a revolutionary design.

Something I learned about the newest class of ships is guest count.

Am I correct that it carries over 900 guests? 

If so the irony is the newest class of Crystal vessels will carry 650.

Keith

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I'm currently on Seabourn Encore and there are a few issues that are not good here.

Please share this info on the SB board.  My recent odyssey cruise met or exceeded my expectations.

nancy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

Hi Keith,

I understand that passenger capacity is 728

It is slightly more than I would like but apparently due to the open plan design of the ship it feels very spacious.

I will not know how it feels until sailing on her.

I'm currently on Seabourn Encore and there are a few issues that are not good here.

Can you double check this. We were told differently from someone who would know

keith. 

On 8/18/2023 at 1:47 PM, Keith1010 said:

Thank you. 

I was informed wrong.

Keith

Silversea has moved their smallest ships to expedition and have slowly moved to the 500-700 guest range.  Loved the Wind (200+) when she came out & was unsure if we would like the “larger” ones.  Was on the Dawn in January & although almost 100% sold out, never felt like there were 590 on board.  Great layout, beautiful ship. Never been on Crystal, was in process of booking when it all went down, but do plan on trying.  New SS ships such as Nova hopefully will be largest they build. It appears that Crystal ships are about same size & I presume they similarly don’t feel crowded.