Likely Punishment?

This ought to be good...

We're going on a cruise next year and taking DS(will be 20yo, 9 months) and his GF (will be 21).  We will be providing a refreshment package for each of them.  

HOWEVER, it won't surprise me if GF buys an alcoholic drink and shares it with DS.  I am going to discourage it.  If they do so, I doubt they'll get caught.  However, if they do get caught, what's a realistic punishment?  Slap on the wrist, "don't do that again"?  Kicked off at next port?

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Not sure what the cut off age for this is, but our 16 yo 6ft 2inch grandson had an "M" printed on his sea pass card indicating that he was still a minor.

GF is 21 so she could buy for him.  

38 minutes ago, Carlos A. said:

They will cancel both packages and charge for every individual drink they asked for before the cancelation. 

Not with the refreshment packages since they'll both have them and that package doesn't include alcohol.

Truly depends on the drinks - rum and coke or jack and coke - and he gets a coke, easy to set on table and swap...

Or if she just buys a shot and pours it in his drink.  

I expect a slap on wrist so they'd need to be stealthy, but I know it can be done (I remember when my kids were over/under 21.  

That said too, he'll be able to drink in ports, and may not be much interest on board - or may be where buying the 1/2 liter for the cabin may be a better option.

2 hours ago, Carlos A. said:

They will cancel both packages and charge for every individual drink they asked for before the cancelation. 

This scenario shouldn't impact their Refreshment Packages, as she would have to BUY an alcoholic drink (for herself or for her underaged BF), not use a package to get it.

So, the question gets to - what does Royal do if they catch an underaged person drinking.  My guess is not too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moposh said:

GF is 21 so she could buy for him.  

Officially, no she can't.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy

"Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy."

I've never heard of anyone being kicked off a ship for concealing alcohol so obviously, this is an extreme example.

A friend told me that maybe GF tips a little extra & DS drinks responsibly & tries to be somewhat discreet, all should be fine.   At least, that's what my friend said, I have no experience in this area.🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Officially, no she can't.

We're not talking officially.  

I guess she could buy two drinks at one time, right?  It's not a one pp situation, is it?  I don't buy alcoholic drinks so don't know the deal.

• Like 1

Unless they’re drinking (and sharing) it, in an empty bar or whilst sat in front of the barman, who’s going to know?

slight tangent, we’re about to embark on our third cruise. We get the deluxe drink package for us but no package for our daughter (she’s now 11). We’ve so far gotten away with getting bottles of water and Virgin cocktails for our daughter, pretty openly. And nobody has said anything. She’s even gone and ordered them herself (with our passes). I’m guessing we’ve gotten away with it because she was so small/young…. Presumably that goodwill is going to run out soon?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

At this point, the plan is to link hers.  

Then you can't limit charges.  I guess at the end of the day, you just have to trust them and if there are consequences, they'll have to deal with them.

18 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No, but the morality police here might shame you into discontinuing the practice.

So, why exactly do rules exist?  Asking for a friend.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

OP will have the refreshment package which means she'll be paying for alcoholic beverages. The last I knew, if you were paying for drinks, you could buy more than one.

Yes if you are paying you can buy more than 1 but the OP said the GF most likely would be buying the DLX package which started the whole thing about sharing and getting more than 1 drink at a time

15 minutes ago, BND said:

So, why exactly do rules exist?  Asking for a friend.  

So posters like @Ret MP can debate them here.

Rules don't really matter as we all know there's usually three answers for all issues posted on the forum:

1 Official policy

2 What happens most of the time

3 The exception

Most folks really only care about #2.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes if you are paying you can buy more than 1 but the OP said the GF most likely would be buying the DLX package which started the whole thing about sharing and getting more than 1 drink at a time

Actually, the question is what will most likely happen (if anything) should the 21 yo GF is caught buying her 20 year, 9 month old BF an alcoholic drink?

They both will have the Refreshment package purchased by the OP but I'm guessing the OP can't be held liable for their actions, could he (or she)?

Edited by HBE4

23 minutes ago, moposh said:

Then you can't limit charges.  I guess at the end of the day, you just have to trust them and if there are consequences, they'll have to deal with them.

Never said I would try (or wanted to) limit charges.  

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Never said anything about GF buying DLX package.

Does any actually READ posts, or just guess at what's posted?

Let's make it simple...  GF purchases an alcoholic drink.  GF shares (or gives) the alcoholic drink to DS (who is technically underage).  What is Royal LIKELY to do IF they get "caught" (which I think is unlikely unless he overindulges)?

Question has nothing to do with a deluxe pkg, has nothing to do with ports.  Has nothing to do with limiting purchases.

• Like 4