dinner on voyager long excursion day

Lonedaddy

On Voyager in October stopping in port said and cairo two days.  Have some long shore excursions those days 13 1/2 and 12 1/2 hrs.  I know we will be tired and dusty and by the time we shower we aren't going to want to get fancied up.  Is there anywhere on board to eat besides room service where we can go casual?  Will the pool grill be open?  

3 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Pool grill hasn't been open for some time.  There were too few guests using it.

I heard you can get room service anywhere - can you order to the pool grill area in the evening ?  

2 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

I heard you can get room service anywhere - can you order to the pool grill area in the evening ?  

I don't know.  We ordered room service dinner to our cabin a couple of times on Voyager, because we were a bit tired, and because DH really liked one of the items on the room service menu.  We found eating in our cabin to be prompt and comfortable.  And quite frankly, when we were really tired, nothing was better than eating in and watching movies on our television.

28 minutes ago, ysolde said:

I don't know.  We ordered room service dinner to our cabin a couple of times on Voyager, because we were a bit tired, and because DH really liked one of the items on the room service menu.  We found eating in our cabin to be prompt and comfortable.  And quite frankly, when we were really tired, nothing was better than eating in and watching movies on our television.

I agree we are traveling with another couple so wanted to at least have dinner with them.  not sure there is enough room in a voyager PH-A.  I know we could have done it on splendor and explorer.

1 hour ago, Lonedaddy said:

I agree we are traveling with another couple so wanted to at least have dinner with them.  not sure there is enough room in a voyager PH-A.  I know we could have done it on splendor and explorer.

There is not a proper table in the PH for four people to eat at, it’s tight for two. I’ll be In a PH-A on Voyager next week and will confirm. 

9 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

On Voyager in October stopping in port said and cairo two days.  Have some long shore excursions those days 13 1/2 and 12 1/2 hrs.  I know we will be tired and dusty and by the time we shower we aren't going to want to get fancied up.  Is there anywhere on board to eat besides room service where we can go casual?  Will the pool grill be open?  

We will be on that cruise with you (getting excited).  Our plan is to simply do room service.  But since you're in a Penthouse A, when you board check with your Butler. He'll set it all up for you and if you want another couple maybe he can arrange for service to the pool deck or somewhere. 

It's also possible, due to the number of long excursions, that the Pool Grill could stay open for dinner on those nights.  

Edited by papaflamingo

While it's possible that one of the restaurants will stay open later if there are late arriving excursions (we've seen this happen), it won't be the Pool Grill as they no longer serve dinner there and it would take more effort to create a one-night dinner option there than extend hours in a venue already offering dinner (probably CR).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Portolan said:

While it's possible that one of the restaurants will stay open later if there are late arriving excursions (we've seen this happen), it won't be the Pool Grill as they no longer serve dinner there and it would take more effort to create a one-night dinner option there than extend hours in a venue already offering dinner (probably CR).

We've had that experience also. Dinner was offered in La Veranda. That was several years ago, so may not be the case now, but I wouldn't be suprised if dinner was offered somewhere on the ship, especially if the excursions involve a lot of people.......

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

We've had that experience also. Dinner was offered in La Veranda. That was several years ago, so may not be the case now, but I wouldn't be suprised if dinner was offered somewhere on the ship, especially if the excursions involve a lot of people.......

@Mudhen is correct.  This has happened on a few occasions with long days in port and full day+ excursions.  Usually, Sette Mari is closed and the entire La Veranda is open for a special theme-based dinner.  Many passengers go straight to the restaurant and dress that night is casual.

• Like 2

We were on Explorer in March of this year and the pool grill was closed in the evening for the entire cruise. EXCEPT when in Singapore there were many night tours and long lines at passport control. The ship's management announced in the morning that the pool grill would be open until 9pm for those excursions that came in late. I think they do have some discretion and certainly use it -- Particularly when arriving late into a port and it pushes back excursion departure/return times. 

• Like 1

It's worth repeating in this thread that if you choose room service (as we likely would), the Compass Rose menu is available through room service during the regular hours in CR.  So, not limited to the quite extensive room service menu if you get your order in before CR closes (typically at 9:30 PM).

Edited by Portolan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

We will be on that cruise with you (getting excited).  Our plan is to simply do room service.  But since you're in a Penthouse A, when you board check with your Butler. He'll set it all up for you and if you want another couple maybe he can arrange for service to the pool deck or somewhere. 

It's also possible, due to the number of long excursions, that the Pool Grill could stay open for dinner on those nights.  

Hoping it does stay open! looking forward to meeting you.  Both my son's are pilots.  

• Like 1

Another example of Regent having thought this through--

St. Petersburg.  Explorer, Summer, 2019.  Several long, early to late evening city excursions.  We chose the complete "Swan Lake" ballet option. Necessary to leave ship around 1900H.  Very-light dinner. 

BTW:  Performance was magical.  

Upon return to Explorer at around 2300H--met by Staff advising there was a Russian-themed buffet option available at La Veranda.  Why not just go for a peek. Met at entrance with vodka shot glasses;  followed by complete dinner service and wonderful options.  Obviously, significant advance planning had been needed to pull this off. It was appreciated.   

GOARMY!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

We'll definitely have to have a drink!  Are your sons commercial pilots?

Oldest 31 (USAFA  grad) just started at southwest 6 months ago.  Younger one is 21 still building hours and should have commercial in a couple months.  It’s a grind but worth it with the new contracts.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Oldest 31 (USAFA  grad) just started at southwest 6 months ago.  Younger one is 21 still building hours and should have commercial in a couple months.  It’s a grind but worth it with the new contracts.   

My son did 20 as a Navy F/A 18 pilot and now with Fed Ex.  It's a great time for pilots...  

Hope to see you on board. 😎

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1