Rompers and jumpsuits

shipgeeks

Do you read "To add some humour" on CC?  (Cruise conversations, Floataway lounge, To add some humour).

There is a hilarious (because true) cartoon about wearing a romper. (page 1343, post 33575). Check it out.

I remember in the 80's, Banana Republic claimed that jumpsuits were the perfect travel garment, especially for long-distance flights.  

What do you think?

Perfect travel garment, not on your life!

How would you keep it off the floor in those tiny airplane bathrooms?  Come to think of it, how would you even have room to get it off in one of those tiny airplane bathrooms???  🤦‍♀️

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Not that great for wearing on the plane.  But, I love jumpsuits & overalls.   The jumpsuit is back in fashion.   I had a jumpsuit from Banana Republic back in the early 80s pre-aquisition by Gap.  Really cool stuff back then.  Most of my wardrobe was from there!  I STILL have one of the Tshirts.  

• Like 1

Careful observation of people wearing jumpsuits (thankfully, there aren't very many) tells me that they are not very flattering to most female bodies.  I agree with others, a jumpsuit is not a practical garment at all and totally unsuited to any activity that involves leaving your house.

It is the logistics of wearing a jumpsuit or romper that stump me. Do I really want to essentially get undressed to use the bathroom? Do I want my garment puddled at my feet in a public restroom? And then there’s versatility, since a jumpsuit is kind of a one-trick pony. I’d rather wear/pack some comfortable pants that I can mix & match for different outfits. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LindaD22 said:

It is the logistics of wearing a jumpsuit or romper that stump me. Do I really want to essentially get undressed to use the bathroom? Do I want my garment puddled at my feet in a public restroom? And then there’s versatility, since a jumpsuit is kind of a one-trick pony. I’d rather wear/pack some comfortable pants that I can mix & match for different outfits. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Separates definitely have advantages!  And I might add that a flared skirt, not too short, not too long, can be way better than pants when it comes to restroom logistics, especially when the restroom is not private, or is a tree somewhere.  I was glad I had mine when I trekked in Nepal.

But I still like my dressy black jumpsuit, and my two daytime, patterned, walking Promenade Deck jumpsuits. Fortunately, I always cruise on somewhat smaller ships, so I can always head back to my own cabin any time I want a bathroom break.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Careful observation of people wearing jumpsuits (thankfully, there aren't very many) tells me that they are not very flattering to most female bodies.  I agree with others, a jumpsuit is not a practical garment at all and totally unsuited to any activity that involves leaving your house.

Well, excuuuuuse me.   That actually offends me.

• Like 2

I forgot.  I have this one.  Wore it to work several times in the Spring.  Took it with me to Europe last year.  I could wear Tshirts, tanks, long sleeves.  And, I actually DID wear it on the plane back home...  I have another one in the linen stripe that is brighter but done in linen.  Since I wore onsies all the time when I would go skiing for decades, I have no problem with bathroom chores in them.  

https://fahertybrand.com/products/topsail-straight-overall-railroad-stripe?variant=40414319968325

• Like 1

I have a jumpsuit that is very flattering on me (or so I have been told). It is on the dressier side. Red background with white polka dots and has a self belt with pockets. I remember wearing it on a Caribbean cruise for dinner and received quite a few compliments. So to say a person should not leave the house with one? I would not wear it on flight but to dinner on a cruise? Yes, I have and I would again.

• Like 3

I can't imagine wearing a jumpsuit for a long flight! 

I used to wear them in the 80s - especially rompers. They were pretty versatile. Recall one in peach that got worn to death.

I'm considering sewing one for our fall cruise. There are a lot of cute patterns out there and plenty of options now for styling. I'm at the stage of life where anything that gives the appearance of a waist is flattering 😁😆

4 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

I can't imagine wearing a jumpsuit for a long flight! 

I used to wear them in the 80s - especially rompers. They were pretty versatile. Recall one in peach that got worn to death.

I'm considering sewing one for our fall cruise. There are a lot of cute patterns out there and plenty of options now for styling. I'm at the stage of life where anything that gives the appearance of a waist is flattering 😁😆

I find the pattern Sirocco by Deer and Doe to be so flattering.

I love jumpsuits now that I can make my own made to fit my body. Long flight it’s not a great option but I can’t wait to bring my two new jumpsuits on my next cruise.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 12:25 PM, slidergirl said:

The jumpsuit is back in fashion.  

I'm seeing overalls in the stores (only long ones, no shorties) but not rompers or jumpsuits (don't see people wearing them either).  Not that I live in a cosmopolitan fashion hot-spot.  

On 8/6/2023 at 9:24 PM, jsn55 said:

... a jumpsuit is not a practical garment at all and totally unsuited to any activity that involves leaving your house.

Well, that leaves adult-sized footie pajamas.  My youngest love-love-loves those.  

3 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I love my overalls!! I got some for gardening from Duluth Trading that are so lightweight and handy with pockets everywhere. I love how they don’t bind at the waist…for that I would think they would be handy for travel. 

I don't think overalls are the same as rompers.  When you wear a romper, you must completely disrobe to use the rest room ... whereas, with overalls, you still have a shirt on as you, um, go.  

Not that they aren't cute, but I don't think overalls are such great travel pieces: 

- Most overalls, in my limited experience, are denim.  They're pretty heavy and (even when folded neatly) take more space than jeans. 

- They are less versatile than jeans.  That is, when you wear overalls with a variety of shirts, it's the overalls that stand out, whereas with jeans it's the opposite.  Said differently, if you wore three different shirts with the same pair of jeans, it'd look like three different outfits.  The same cannot be said of overalls.  

- No matter what you do, overalls are quite casual.  This means -- unlike pants -- you can't wear them for a hike, then dress them up with a nice blouse for dinner.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm seeing overalls in the stores (only long ones, no shorties) but not rompers or jumpsuits (don't see people wearing them either).  Not that I live in a cosmopolitan fashion hot-spot.  

Well, that leaves adult-sized footie pajamas.  My youngest love-love-loves those.  

I don't think overalls are the same as rompers.  When you wear a romper, you must completely disrobe to use the rest room ... whereas, with overalls, you still have a shirt on as you, um, go.  

Not that they aren't cute, but I don't think overalls are such great travel pieces: 

- Most overalls, in my limited experience, are denim.  They're pretty heavy and (even when folded neatly) take more space than jeans. 

- They are less versatile than jeans.  That is, when you wear overalls with a variety of shirts, it's the overalls that stand out, whereas with jeans it's the opposite.  Said differently, if you wore three different shirts with the same pair of jeans, it'd look like three different outfits.  The same cannot be said of overalls.  

- No matter what you do, overalls are quite casual.  This means -- unlike pants -- you can't wear them for a hike, then dress them up with a nice blouse for dinner.  

Your last line!!!  🤣

12 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:No matter what you do, overalls are quite casual.  This means -- unlike pants -- you can't wear them for a hike, then dress them up with a nice blouse for dinner.  

Overalls aren’t always that casual. The trend is towards linen overalls in the MeMade scene and those can be a lot easier to dress up or down.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

I find the pattern Sirocco by Deer and Doe to be so flattering.

I love jumpsuits now that I can make my own made to fit my body. Long flight it’s not a great option but I can’t wait to bring my two new jumpsuits on my next cruise.

I do like the look of the Sirocco on other people's bodies however, tapered legs aren't for me so I'm sort of looking at other options. Maybe the Paper Theory Zadie, although all of the versions I see are quite short-waisted and I've learned it's not a good look on my body. Thinking I'll wind up with a top and Pallazzo pants that look like a jumpsuit, without the loo access issues. 😁

• Like 1

@Mum2Mercury I see a lot of young women wearing them here. I work in an office where about a third of the staff is women in their 20s, or early 30s and there at least a couple of them wear jumpsuits every week. Usually in challis or another lightweight, drapey fabric, and always in bold prints. One of my cousins manages a hip clothing store and she has worn the wackiest jumpsuits this summer - Peter Max prints that immediately made me think of the art auctions on the ship. Maybe that's where he's making his money now? 🤣

Edited by mrgabriel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

I do like the look of the Sirocco on other people's bodies however, tapered legs aren't for me so I'm sort of looking at other options. Maybe the Paper Theory Zadie, although all of the versions I see are quite short-waisted and I've learned it's not a good look on my body. Thinking I'll wind up with a top and Pallazzo pants that look like a jumpsuit, without the loo access issues. 😁

Zadie is next on my list. Saw so many people wearing them at my last tradeshow and it looked so good on. I am tall so I sometimes have to extend the length at the waist.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

I see a lot of young women wearing them here.

10 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Saw so many people wearing them at my last tradeshow 

Tell you what, tomorrow's the first day of school -- high school, that is -- and it's always a fashion show.  I'll let you know what I see among my students.  

• Like 4

Okay, I promised to report back concerning first-day of school jumpsuits and rompers.  I only saw two -- and I was looking in the hallways during class changes: 

- Barbie-pink long-pants, spaghetti strap top worn over white mini-tee.  Loose and made of sweatshirt material?  Cute on a teen, nothing an adult woman would wear.  

- Olive green shorts + cap-sleeved tee -- quite tight.  Knit material with a woven-in strip /texture.  Not really an attractive outfit in my eyes, even though the teen has a great figure.  

What I DID see in great number:  Girls wearing Barbie-pink.  Wow, I didn't expect that!  Barbie logo items.  Mostly separates, often paired with olive green or camo (more paired with jeans, but that's the default, isn't it?).  A few dresses, all quite casual -- like tee-dresses.  

• Like 3

LOVE the girls in Barbie pink!  I love jeans in pink and white and pastel colors, so attractive on a young person with no bulges.  Keep your eyes peeled, Mum, we need to know the skinny on the high school set.  I remember a hotel brunch in England where all the youngish ladies wore long flowy dresses in beautiful prints.  What a great picture they made!  I vowed to go home and whip up a few long dresses. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jsn55 said:

LOVE the girls in Barbie pink!  I love jeans in pink and white and pastel colors, so attractive on a young person with no bulges.  Keep your eyes peeled, Mum, we need to know the skinny on the high school set.  I remember a hotel brunch in England where all the youngish ladies wore long flowy dresses in beautiful prints.  What a great picture they made!  I vowed to go home and whip up a few long dresses. 

Yes, I'm seeing jeans and shorts (we're in the South, and it's cooled off to about 90 degrees today) in pink.  Lots of accessories (cross body purses and phone cases, for example) in pink.  Barbie logo tops.  A few dresses -- casual, like tee-dresses -- but they're not as numerous as separates.  I have a feeling that Barbie-pink hoodies will show up when the weather cools.  

Those long flowey dresses seem to have lost their appeal.  I wouldn't mind seeing them back, though such things can quickly overwhelm my small stature.

Oh, and I should've said, zero rompers or jumpsuits today.  But that would've kinda been expected, as it's Friday and School Spirit Day.  Fridays have always been more casual, and school spirit day (every Friday) lends itself to tee-shirts.

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 3