Bid suggested for accessible cabin in Move-up

killarneylady

My travelling companion has had an accident 2 weeks before travelling and is confined to a wheelchair post bilateral surgery. I enquired about the possibility of getting an accessible room (same category as we have obviously) and was told today by email: 

‘In regards with upgrading your stateroom to an accessible cabin you need to bid via our Move Up Scheme. If there are any staterooms available to upgrade to, you can bid and will not be charged if the bid is not accepted’ 

Apparently an accessible cabin is now possibly offered as an upgrade. Strange. I’ve never seen one offered on Move Up. Maybe they are. I wonder has anyone else seen one there? I assumed it was based on need, not revenue. I’d never take or indeed ask for one one if I didn’t qualify. It seems a strange way to put it. 

Edited by killarneylady

4 hours ago, killarneylady said:

My travelling companion has had an accident 2 weeks before travelling and is confined to a wheelchair post bilateral surgery. I enquired about the possibility of getting an accessible room (same category as we have obviously) and was told today by email: 

‘In regards with upgrading your stateroom to an accessible cabin you need to bid via our Move Up Scheme. If there are any staterooms available to upgrade to, you can bid and will not be charged if the bid is not accepted’ 

Apparently an accessible cabin is now possibly offered as an upgrade. Strange. I’ve never seen one offered on Move Up. Maybe they are. I wonder has anyone else seen one there? I assumed it was based on need, not revenue. I’d never take or indeed ask for one one if I didn’t qualify. It seems a strange way to put it. 

As OP stated , try contacting the special needs department.

Hope it all works out well for you both. 🍀👍

• Thanks 1

This response is a non sequitur. You cannot bid into an accessable cabin using move up. If there are no accessible cabins and your traveling companion cannot cruise in a standard cabin I sincerely hope you have travel insurance.

• Thanks 1

I would call back and see if you can find an agent that is more informed.   If an accessible cabin is available in the same class as currently booked you can be moved.    Also if one is available in the next level e.g.   SS2 to SS1 then you can upgrade for just the difference in fare.

As you indicated there is no ability to bid for an accessible stateroom in the Upgrade program.  I have however been assigned accessible staterooms on an upgrade even though I didn't want one. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2023 at 3:16 PM, killarneylady said:

If you do a mock booking and specify that you need an accessible room do you see any cabins available in any category? If so, maybe you can c add lol and work with them in trying to move to that cabin by paying extra. I would not email, I would call snd have a conversation, explaining the situation.  Give them a chance to work with you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, thebutlerdidit said:

If you do a mock booking and specify that you need an accessible room do you see any cabins available in any category? If so, maybe you can c add lol and work with them in trying to move to that cabin by paying extra. I would not email, I would call snd have a conversation, explaining the situation.  Give them a chance to work with you. 

Oh my gosh, I’m sorry about the gobbledygook that ended up posting in this message. It should of course say to call them! 😳

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2023 at 7:55 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

This response is a non sequitur. You cannot bid into an accessable cabin using move up. If there are no accessible cabins and your traveling companion cannot cruise in a standard cabin I sincerely hope you have travel insurance.

You certainly can.  I did it but we were expecting a normal cabin.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Yes, you can get a move up into an accessible cabin but you cannot do a move up bid into an accessible cabin. If you did get one it is just because your bid was the highest acceptable and that was the cabin that was available.

If you are in an accessible cabin and expect to get one on a successful move up bid you might be very disappointed, especially when you cannot use the bathroom.

1 minute ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Yes, you can get a move up into an accessible cabin but you cannot do a move up bid into an accessible cabin. If you did get one it is just because your bid was the highest acceptable and that was the cabin that was available.

If you are in an accessible cabin and expect to get one on a successful move up bid you might be very disappointed, especially when you cannot use the bathroom.

I get the essence of what I think you’re saying but it’s hard to parse.  You seem to say, you CAN’T do ABC but you CAN do ABC.

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I get the essence of what I think you’re saying but it’s hard to parse.  You seem to say, you CAN’T do ABC but you CAN do ABC.

Ok, maybe too much wine. You can do a move up bid and you may end up with an accessible cabin.  But, if you are in an accessible veranda and do a move up bid to aqua class for example you cannot anticipate getting an accessible aqua cabin. Hope this makes more sense. Getting an accessible cabin on a move up is the luck of the draw.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Ok, maybe too much wine. You can do a move up bid and you may end up with an accessible cabin.  But, if you are in an accessible veranda and do a move up bid to aqua class for example you cannot anticipate getting an accessible aqua cabin. Hope this makes more sense. Getting an accessible cabin on a move up is the luck of the draw.

Exactly this. Pre MoveUp we switched from AquaClass to a Suite Guarantee and we received an accessible suite. We knew we would receive an accessible suite, as the only suites available were the 3 accessible suites on Deck 9 on the Summit. Now it’s the MoveUp bidders who would have been assigned those suites.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 4:58 PM, zitsky said:

You were assigned an accessible cabin, you did not specifically request it.  That is different from what the poster is asking.