Unlimited Dining questions

Good Morning All! So, today was check in day for our cruise on Wonder in September! We purchased unlimited dining for the 1st time, so I'm hoping I could pick a few experienced brains for some of our questions. 

I know we have to book all of our dining as SOON as we get on the boat. So, to that end, I scheduled our check in time for 1030am, happy I could get it. However, my family is a party of 5, but we are traveling with extended family that will make us a party of 7, all with unlimited dining. However, the other two aren't checking in until 1130. So, please see below questions: 

1. I have read all dining reservations can be booked at any of the specialty restaurants at a single time instead of running from restaurant to restaurant to book each, is this true? 

2. I know Hibachi is the hardest to get, is it better to go TO the hibachi restaurant to book my dining reservations so i can try and book that first? 

3. without the full party of 7 being on board at the time of booking, will they still allow me to book for all 7 if I have the other party's room and reservation number? 

4. I think I read that we can use our UDP on embarkation day for lunch at one of the specialty restaurants? Is that true, and, if so, does anyone know which of them will be open? 

5. any other hints, tips, tricks, etc about the unlimited dining would be super helpful. We have the unlimited drinks and unlimited dining...so its sure to be quite the trip. I am always looking for ways to make the most of it. We are foodies and haven't been enamored with the main dining room, so we always gravitate to the specialty dining, and being an Oasis class ship the dining plan will allow us to try them all. 

Thanks everyone, appreciate it! 

#1 - truish - all except for Hibachi.  Sometimes they can call, but from what I remember, Chops (for instance) can make reservations for all of the restaurants except Izumi's.  We usually end up visiting Izumis if we want to plan eating there (especially for Hibachi).

#2 - Yes - see first answer

#3 - Yes, if you have all the room #'s, they can book the whole party

#4 - Sometimes.  I think it depends on the ship.  We were booking our week of reservations in Chops once and they said - well do you want lunch today?  We open at...  We have had other times where Chops is not open for lunch that day, but other restaurants were.  If they are open, you can definitely eat there with the UDP.

#5 - It ends up being a LOT of food every day.  Pace yourself and enjoy.  We like the elevated food, but mostly, we love the upgraded atmosphere over the MDR which is loud, busy and packed.  Of course, the restaurants can be too, but they can only fit so many people in.  Wonderland is fun, but for us, we've done it twice and that's enough.  150 CP is our favorite, but Chops is pretty good.  You will get 1000 different opinions on all of that, so just try time all once.

Also, they will probably tell you that you don't need reservations for lunch on sea days, but this is not true.  Our first time with the UDP, we could not get into lunch on a sea day because they were all booked.  Book your lunches.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, bmswart3 said:

Good Morning All! So, today was check in day for our cruise on Wonder in September! We purchased unlimited dining for the 1st time, so I'm hoping I could pick a few experienced brains for some of our questions. 

I know we have to book all of our dining as SOON as we get on the boat. So, to that end, I scheduled our check in time for 1030am, happy I could get it. However, my family is a party of 5, but we are traveling with extended family that will make us a party of 7, all with unlimited dining. However, the other two aren't checking in until 1130. So, please see below questions: 

1. I have read all dining reservations can be booked at any of the specialty restaurants at a single time instead of running from restaurant to restaurant to book each, is this true? 

2. I know Hibachi is the hardest to get, is it better to go TO the hibachi restaurant to book my dining reservations so i can try and book that first? 

3. without the full party of 7 being on board at the time of booking, will they still allow me to book for all 7 if I have the other party's room and reservation number? 

4. I think I read that we can use our UDP on embarkation day for lunch at one of the specialty restaurants? Is that true, and, if so, does anyone know which of them will be open? 

5. any other hints, tips, tricks, etc about the unlimited dining would be super helpful. We have the unlimited drinks and unlimited dining...so its sure to be quite the trip. I am always looking for ways to make the most of it. We are foodies and haven't been enamored with the main dining room, so we always gravitate to the specialty dining, and being an Oasis class ship the dining plan will allow us to try them all. 

Thanks everyone, appreciate it! 

Note that hibachi isnt more expensive booking direct.. but as you said harder to book. I'm sure to are aware, but just in case, there is a surcharge to book hibachi. .. so if you are booking 7 for hibachi .. who is paying the surcharge. .. I personally would save it for another visit. No way im paying for unlimited ... and a additional surcharge. Enjoy chops another night. 

It was $15 extra per person ... did it go up? In addition to whatever you paid. .. go do another included. 

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Note that hibachi isnt more expensive booking direct.. but as you said harder to book. I'm sure to are aware, but just in case, there is a surcharge to book hibachi. .. so if you are booking 7 for hibachi .. who is paying the surcharge. .. I personally would save it for another visit. No way im paying for unlimited ... and a additional surcharge. Enjoy chops another night. 

It was $15 extra per person ... did it go up? In addition to whatever you paid. .. go do another included. 

Yes, i know its more, but, we have NEVER done hibachi on a RCCL ship...so its been on our bucket list for a while. So, regardless of the upcharge...we will definitely be going. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RCFirstTimer said:

#1 - truish - all except for Hibachi.  Sometimes they can call, but from what I remember, Chops (for instance) can make reservations for all of the restaurants except Izumi's.  We usually end up visiting Izumis if we want to plan eating there (especially for Hibachi).

#2 - Yes - see first answer

#3 - Yes, if you have all the room #'s, they can book the whole party

#4 - Sometimes.  I think it depends on the ship.  We were booking our week of reservations in Chops once and they said - well do you want lunch today?  We open at...  We have had other times where Chops is not open for lunch that day, but other restaurants were.  If they are open, you can definitely eat there with the UDP.

#5 - It ends up being a LOT of food every day.  Pace yourself and enjoy.  We like the elevated food, but mostly, we love the upgraded atmosphere over the MDR which is loud, busy and packed.  Of course, the restaurants can be too, but they can only fit so many people in.  Wonderland is fun, but for us, we've done it twice and that's enough.  150 CP is our favorite, but Chops is pretty good.  You will get 1000 different opinions on all of that, so just try time all once.

Also, they will probably tell you that you don't need reservations for lunch on sea days, but this is not true.  Our first time with the UDP, we could not get into lunch on a sea day because they were all booked.  Book your lunches.

Thank you, i had read differing opinions about booking lunch, so , we are definitely going to book our lunches

1 hour ago, bmswart3 said:

Yes, i know its more, but, we have NEVER done hibachi on a RCCL ship...so its been on our bucket list for a while. So, regardless of the upcharge...we will definitely be going. 

The hibachi is worth the 15 charge in my opinion.  It was one of the better meals we had on the boat.

I was able to book all reservations for our party of 9 last cruise without them being with me.  We had the key and while at the lunch at chops they made the hibachi reservation and I went and made all of the others after lunch

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cheermomof2girls said:

The hibachi is worth the 15 charge in my opinion.  It was one of the better meals we had on the boat.

I was able to book all reservations for our party of 9 last cruise without them being with me.  We had the key and while at the lunch at chops they made the hibachi reservation and I went and made all of the others after lunch

Thanks! that is a relief! 

3 hours ago, cheermomof2girls said:

Agree love hibachi will do it at least twice on next cruise , if in a suite concierge can prebook specialty restaurants and shows he sends a email to suite (grand suite or higher) about 5 days before sailing. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bmswart3 said:

We had the Hibachi on Symphony... I had to talk my DH into it so we ate there on night 7 of an 8-night cruise. 
After dinner, he asked why we didn't book it a few times during the cruise!! 🤦‍♀️
It was better than our local hibachi restaurants, and almost as good as some of the places I have been to when I lived in SoCal and Vegas 🙂

EDIT to add... I am not sure which specialty restaurants are open for lunch on boarding day, I know Playmakers should be open... 

Check your cruise planner and see which you can make lunch reservations for and then check what days 😉

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Like 2

Last 3 or 4 cruises we have gone to Izumi as soon as we board. We make all reservations for every restaurant there.  Seems like everyone heads to Chops to make their package reservations and the lines are long. There has never been more than two people ahead of us if we go to Izumi. Just be sure to make your reservations as soon as you board. If you are waiting in the terminal for boarding to begin  you can use the App, hit and miss if you can connect,  to make your reservations.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, molly361 said:

I also saw people without reservations turned away at lunch 

Yes, if it's really important to have lunch in whatever specialty restaurant is open on embarkation day, I recommend booking it online in the cruise planner, paying for it, then they will refund the card when everyone shows up with the UDP.  I've done this before, and I'm doing it again next month.  

• Like 2

A recommendation: if you're doing a lot of reservations for a lot of people, type up a list ahead of time of the names and room numbers what you ideally want which day (and a 2nd choice) to make it considerably faster and easier for the person processing it (which will get you better reservations)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Can you use the UDP everyday for lunch?  I noticed wording that mentions seadays??

In the past we definitely used it for lunch everyday, in Specialty restaurants that are open on sea days, Sabor, and Johnny Rocketts.

We will be on Harmony, any advice on lunch for the port days when staying on the ship.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Can you use the UDP everyday for lunch?  I noticed wording that mentions seadays??

In the past we definitely used it for lunch everyday, in Specialty restaurants that are open on sea days, Sabor, and Johnny Rocketts.

We will be on Harmony, any advice on lunch for the port days when staying on the ship.

Thanks.

You can use it at any restaurant that’s open. Problem is on port days, you’ll struggle to find one that opens for lunch. 

Maybe Johnny Rockets and Sabor after 2 or 3PM, but unlikely to be earlier.

Edited by gumshoe958

3 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

You can use it at any restaurant that’s open. Problem is on port days, you’ll struggle to find one that opens for lunch. 

Maybe Johnny Rockets and Sabor after 2 or 3PM, but unlikely to be earlier.

Thanks for the info.  Helps when determining the value of the UDP, especially if you stay on the ship in port and knowing the number of sea days.

Is Vintages an option on Harmony?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, cruisefoodie1946 said:

I'm on Icon on March 2024, have UDP, can I use it on Playmakers in Port Day if its open?

I don't know about the other ships, but on the Wonder - Playmakers, Johnny Rockets, El Loco Fresh and even the hot dog place don't open until 2 or 3pm on port days. The only places open on port days during actual lunch time are the buffet, sandwiches (Cafe Promenade, Park Cafe) and pizza. 

It's another one of those things I just don't understand on Royal. I'm sure RCCL would make money if they opened one inexpensive pay restaurant during lunch hours on port days. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

When I purchase the UDP,  I prebook all the lunches in advance.  Day 1 online in the Cruise Planner, and get a credit to my account when I show up.  This way I'm guaranteed a table at my chosen time.  I book all sea days when I first to to the restaurant on Day 1.  On port days I eat a late breakfast, and then show up to the a la carte restaurants when they first open.

Next month my sis and I have the UDP, and we are going to go to Vintages for tapas and wine as a late lunch, using my Pinnacle drink coupons, too. She really likes cruising with me.  As Merion Mom told me once:  I tell them what to book and they do it.  My sis follows me like a puppy on cruise ships, as I am the Great Provider of free wine and cool places to go on the ship.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pcur said:

When I purchase the UDP,  I prebook all the lunches in advance.  Day 1 online in the Cruise Planner, and get a credit to my account when I show up.  This way I'm guaranteed a table at my chosen time.  I book all sea days when I first to to the restaurant on Day 1.  On port days I eat a late breakfast, and then show up to the a la carte restaurants when they first open.

Next month my sis and I have the UDP, and we are going to go to Vintages for tapas and wine as a late lunch, using my Pinnacle drink coupons, too. She really likes cruising with me.  As Merion Mom told me once:  I tell them what to book and they do it.  My sis follows me like a puppy on cruise ships, as I am the Great Provider of free wine and cool places to go on the ship.

Be careful with this as they are cracking down and charging the cancelation fees. They have found that people who do this hack mess up the reservation listing.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pcur said:

Vintages?  Someone posted it is always excluded from UDP.  I thought I had read that it is included.  which is it?  Thanks for sharing.

9 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Vintages?  Someone posted it is always excluded from UDP.  I thought I had read that it is included.  which is it?  Thanks for sharing.

Vintages has never been included in the UDP that I am aware of.  It is included for Star Class but not the dining packages unless something has changed recently.

• Like 1