Excursion Day Process

pappy1022

I understand that we are to pick up our excursion tickets on the morning of the tour. How early can you pick up your tour tickets before the actual tour start time? Can you pick up the tickets for you and your spouse or for other couples you are traveling with or does everyone on the tour need to be there in person? 

Everyone who has an excursion in that time frame will go into the theatre.  They will then call your excursion to go to the front table to get your ticket.  You will then exit the theatre on the opposite side and go to the tour bus.  I'm not sure if you can get someone else's ticket, I don't think so.  Some people think they can stand in the aisle so you may have to go around them.

you will find an envelope in your suite when you board with all the excursion tickets for the excursions you have prebooked.  The day of the tour, there will be times listed in the chronicles/passages/whatever it is called, for each tour to meet either in the theater or on shore depending on the port and time.  You will bring your tickets and exchange them for a number which designates which tour you are on.  If you are traveling with friends, you need to have all the tickets to exchange at once.  All parties don't have to be there in person (George rarely is) but should be close by as your number may be called quickly after and you need to be ready to go. 

4 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Everyone who has an excursion in that time frame will go into the theatre.  They will then call your excursion to go to the front table to get your ticket.  You will then exit the theatre on the opposite side and go to the tour bus.  I'm not sure if you can get someone else's ticket, I don't think so.  Some people think they can stand in the aisle so you may have to go around them.

You can have other people's tickets to exchange.  We often do this when traveling with friends. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RachelG said:

All parties don't have to be there in person (George rarely is) but should be close by as your number may be called quickly after and you need to be ready to go. 

I did not know that thank you.  I will spare my bride of the process in the future.  Not that its a difficult process just easier as one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RachelG said:

you will find an envelope in your suite when you board with all the excursion tickets for the excursions you have prebooked.  The day of the tour, there will be times listed in the chronicles/passages/whatever it is called, for each tour to meet either in the theater or on shore depending on the port and time.  You will bring your tickets and exchange them for a number which designates which tour you are on.  If you are traveling with friends, you need to have all the tickets to exchange at once.  All parties don't have to be there in person (George rarely is) but should be close by as your number may be called quickly after and you need to be ready to go. 

Rachel is exactly right in what happens. They will not do the ticket exchange until your stated time so no reason to rush to the theater early. If really busy staff will not let you in the theater early. Also, since this is your first time, I think, the times you signed up for may have changed. Be sure you check your tickets when you get to your suite. The tickets in your suite are the correct times. also reread the current tour description, it may have changed. After all these tour were booked up to a year ago. Things change! If someone in your group has a mobility problem check with the tour desk. They have or can find out about any question you have. They have helped me a lot in the recent past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CWN's advice is good.  We have had times change significantly.  We have either had my husband and I were put into different times when the tour had multiple departures, so one of the first things I do when we get to our suite, even before unpacking is look at all the tickets and make sure the times are correct. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rachel et al's description is very accurate; however, procedures do differ a bit based on who is Destination Manager (usually on pier with busses) and Destination Manager's Deputy (who is usually in the theater).  I vote for "go with the flow" but if you have "special needs" let the Destination Manager know in advance.  

• Like 1

Thank you for the information. There are 3 couples (6 people) traveling together and for many of the ports we chose the same tour. What are the chances we will be put on separate buses? If that happens, is there anything we can do before the tour to see if we can all travel on the same bus or small group vehicle?

2 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

is there anything we can do before the tour to see if we can all travel on the same bus or small group vehicle?

Have one person collect the big tickets from all 6, and hand them to the destination staff all at once. They will put you all on the same bus/vehicle (small "bus number" tickets).

People are advising not to arrive at the theater until the time on your big ticket. I would advise to head to the theater 10 minutes or so before that time. There is often a line to exchange big tickets for bus tickets.

Please be aware that the bus numbers are announced in the theater only, not ship-wide. Your whole party should be gathered in or near the theater so that you can all go out to the bus when it's announced.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Thank you for the information. There are 3 couples (6 people) traveling together and for many of the ports we chose the same tour. What are the chances we will be put on separate buses? If that happens, is there anything we can do before the tour to see if we can all travel on the same bus or small group vehicle?

As everyone says, one person collect the big tour tickets from each person going and that person go get the bus ( or number ticket) ticket that you use to actually go on the tour. It is very easy to have all the party together. You are stressing too much about this😀.

RELS is right, sometimes they may hand out numbered tickets a little early but don’t count on it especially if a number of tours are meeting near the same time… this happens often times in the am.

We have also found that the tour descriptions on board sometimes indicate a different level of strenuous activity than the descriptions you received before the cruise. It is worth reading the descriptions found in your cabin carefully. They are more accurate and up to date. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, labonnevie said:

We have also found that the tour descriptions on board sometimes indicate a different level of strenuous activity than the descriptions you received before the cruise. It is worth reading the descriptions found in your cabin carefully. They are more accurate and up to date. 

This may most important as countries get their tourist services rebuilt post Covid. The tour may have changed somewhat for any number of reasons. This can affect the physical activity of the tour and also places visited. After all we are sometimes booking a year ahead!

I agree with getting to the theater at least 10 minutes prior to the time on your tickets. Usually when you get to the theater, you will see a line formed to get tour tickets from the stage area, so stand in line with all the tickets for that one tour you want to exchange, and then go sit down by an aisle. Your tour will then be called by the number on the ticket you just got from the front of the theater, do not let anyone in your group stray. 
when they call your tour, get up and head out of the theater and follow the crowd. You will be told what deck to go to to exit the ship. There should be a place to fill up your water (we do this before we get to the theater). As you leave the shop check for the sign that will tell you the all aboard time, in case you want to linger in town or someplace. 

3 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

I agree with getting to the theater at least 10 minutes prior to the time on your tickets.

UNLESS told otherwise by Destination Services. Last year on Navigator, they would not allow us in the theater before our ticket time, which made Stars Lounge a choke point.

Only time I've seen this rule in 7 cruises, though.

Edited by 2012_Alaska_bound
updated info

On 8/16/2023 at 3:20 PM, pappy1022 said:

I understand that we are to pick up our excursion tickets on the morning of the tour. How early can you pick up your tour tickets before the actual tour start time? Can you pick up the tickets for you and your spouse or for other couples you are traveling with or does everyone on the tour need to be there in person? 

Here is the Regent Destinations guidance from the cruise that we are enjoying at present:

5544F7FB-E8F1-432E-BF28-48FED6D6BEF3.thumb.jpeg.679e03482a1149d5716b91b94eb97b60.jpeg

BDCC432B-681C-471D-A74C-6D3F4CE0DDBA.thumb.jpeg.793fcdfd21b11059f8f6d75490182618.jpeg

A simple process that is very similar on all Regent ships.

The process works well when guests adhere to the advice given, and if they remain patient if unforeseen delays occur (Unfortunately patience is not a concept understood by all 🤨)

Only one person needs to present the tour tickets for the group but all must be available ready to leave the ship.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

UNLESS told otherwise by Destination Services. Last year on Navigator, they would not allow us in the theater before our ticket time, which made Stars Lounge a choke point.

Only time I've seen this rule in 7 cruises, though.

Yep, this has been our experience at times on the Navigator and on the Mariner. Depends who is in charge. One size doesn’t fit all so be flexible.

• Like 1

On our recently completed Alaskan cruise, all four of our tours had directions on the big ticket to go directly to the pier. This is consistent to @flossie009's post, above, that it might start in the theater or on the pier.

All of my prior Regent/Radisson cruises started in the theater though. So I perceived starting on the pier as a welcome innovation. It meant that we could leave the ship early, and not have to get back on board to exchange tickets.

There was no downside from my perspective, although I could see that it might be an issue controlling the number of passengers in the gangway. Maybe it only something they do when there are fewer passengers on board.

17 minutes ago, Big Vin said:

There was no downside from my perspective, although I could see that it might be an issue controlling the number of passengers in the gangway. Maybe it only something they do when there are fewer passengers on board.

I have noticed that for late morning or afternoon tours, meeting at the pier is common. It's the early tours that leave close to docking/anchoring time that get the full meet-at-the-theater treatment.

This is not new…. Some afternoon tours  have met on the dock and yes there are usually not too many tours involved. For the cattle call in morning the theater  probably works best for crowd control around the buses.

There aren’t a lot of afternoon tours though. We had a few in the Caribbean last winter and they met on the dock. We had some on the 2018 WC.

Pappy just put one person in charge of getting the bus tickets for the group and keep everybody in shouting distance or sight which ever happens for your tours together.

1 hour ago, cwn said:

Some afternoon tours  have met on the dock and yes there are usually not too many tours involved. For the cattle call in morning the theater  probably works best for crowd control around the buses.

Last week in Alaska, 100% of the tours over four port days started on the pier.

Rare elephant. 😀

My point was that I liked this better.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Big Vin said:

Last week in Alaska, 100% of the tours over four port days started on the pier.

Rare elephant. 😀

My point was that I liked this better.

This is unusual for the ports around the world that we have visited…..special to Alaska?? Alaska is special anyway!

But I agree with you, I like meeting on the dock better. Gives me time to get to the bus with out holding everyone else up. Also wish that Regent would run more tour choices for the not so early risers.