Celebrity Silhouette Main Dining Room Experience an Embarrassment

Rustyman

1 minute ago, the penguins said:

Seems odd, always found S class ships have basically the same menu for the same length of cruise. Time will tell. Any one currently on Reflection able to confirm if the side dishes are still available?

I have no experience of E Class and have no interest in booking one.

• Like 1

Hope this was a one-off cruise for X. We were on this ship in April and ate in the MDR most nights with a much better variety than reported by the OP. 

If this is to continue across the fleet, i guess we'll do a lot more business with HAL.

12 minutes ago, DesertRat46 said:

Hope this was a one-off cruise for X. We were on this ship in April and ate in the MDR most nights with a much better variety than reported by the OP. 

If this is to continue across the fleet, i guess we'll do a lot more business with HAL.

It is not, if you read all the posts you can see that the APP has been updated for most sailings with the new menu offerings.  They are very disappointing. 

28 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Quite concerned about the apparent direction of the line in terms of food quality. Being a predominately NCL and MSC cruiser (Haven and Yacht Club sometimes), I had always considered X a 'cut above' and had hitherto been really excited to try a sailing with them. When the refurbished Millenium came up for Japan we couldn't wait to book.

Somewhat ironically, we are waiting for MSC to release the next seasons inventory for Japan before deciding finally to cancel Millennium...

We sailed on her back in Dec '19, shortly after the refurbishment, and we did have a great time cruising from Hong Kong down to Singapore, but that was in the Retreat...

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Somewhat ironically, we are waiting for MSC to release the next seasons inventory for Japan before deciding finally to cancel Millennium...

We sailed on her back in Dec '19, shortly after the refurbishment, and we did have a great time cruising from Hong Kong down to Singapore, but that was in the Retreat...

If you are a retreat guest, you might enjoy MSC Yacht Club.  I've sailed on MSC plenty, but never in YC, not because I don't have the money, but because I don't want to spend it.  Still, I hear it's a relatively good value and usually a good experience.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Yes I looked back and we have commented on the same thread on the MSC boards r.e the release of their Japan itineraries, although I would not originate in China as seems to be the schedule so far. 

I have a refundable deposit with X, a BA Reward Flight booking which I can also cancel or transfer and a free cancellation on our Tokyo hotel so have some degree of flex, should a suitable alternative present, but it feels late in the day for this to be a realistic probability. 

Glad you had a good time on Millenium previously. The pricing for Retreat is more than I'm prepared to pay I'm afraid as I could do 3x YC cruises at least instead. We are in a V2 for this one. If MSC were originating out of Yokohoma I would consider YC at a premium. 

I don't have any X status which is also different - I haven't purchased a dining package in around a decade as an example, as I am accustomed to the NCL inclusions etc.

Best wishes whatever you decide. 

Edited by Captain-John
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Yes I looked back and we have commented on the same thread on the MSC boards r.e the release of their Japan itineraries, although I would not originate in China as seems to be the schedule so far. 

I have a refundable deposit with X, a BA Reward Flight booking which I can also cancel or transfer and a free cancellation on our Tokyo hotel so have some degree of flex, should a suitable alternative present, but it feels late in the day for this to be a realistic probability. 

Glad you had a good time on Millenium previously. The pricing for Retreat is more than I'm prepared to pay I'm afraid as I could do 3x YC cruises at least instead. We are in a V2 for this one. If MSC were originating out of Yokohoma I would consider YC at a premium. 

I don't have any X status which is also different - I haven't purchased a dining package in around a decade as an example, as I am accustomed to the NCL inclusions etc.

Best wishes whatever you decide. 

Just a suggestion regarding another possible option for a Japan circumnavigation cruise. We just did a 17-day B2B last month around Japan (and South Korea) on the Diamond Princess in a Reserved Collection mini-suite and had a great time! In addition, the Diamond has been specially configured to give you a more Japanese cultural experience while on the ship. I have a Live From thread in my below signature area if you're interested.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just a suggestion regarding another possible option for a Japan circumnavigation cruise. We just did a 17-day B2B last month around Japan (and South Korea) on the Diamond Princess in a Reserved Collection mini-suite and had a great time! In addition, the Diamond has been specially configured to give you a more Japanese cultural experience while on the ship. I have a Live From thread in my below signature area if you're interested.

Thank you Ken, I'm very interested to read about your experience on Diamond and will pick up on your thread. 

I of course seen Diamond come up in searches when I was considering this itinerary but dismissed her (perhaps prematurely!) as I do like a more modern/refurbished ship which with Millenium's "back to the studs" refurb ticked that box.. I shall reconsider more carefully. Thank again. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

If you are a retreat guest, you might enjoy MSC Yacht Club.  I've sailed on MSC plenty, but never in YC, not because I don't have the money, but because I don't want to spend it.

Yes, we already did one cruise in YC and have another booked for Feb next year, we are not Retreat guests these days either, the prices just went crazy, which is why we are struggling so much with returning to Millennium, but not in the Retreat.

37 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

We are in a C2 on Millennium for April '25, but MSC do cruise out of Yokohama as well, so waiting to see the schedules when they get released for 24/25...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks for the suggestion, we'll take a look, especially re the cultural aspects, as that is one of the things we like about MSC as well since they try to appeal to the local Japanese market as well, rather than carrying their culture with them as a bubble in the way that Celebrity do...

• Like 1

The GF and I did a cruise to Japan on Royal in 2018 (Mini Suite Quantum of the Seas).  Our cruise originated in Shanghai and we enjoyed the experience.

Here's a review I did of our Shanghai hotel, which had some great views of the Bund.  If anyone has general questions about our cruise from China to Japan, or just cruising Japan in general, let me know.

• Like 2

I'm shaking my head as I type this.  Just when I thought the current MDR menus surely must have reached the bottom, nope, seems they weren't/aren't done yet.  Checked this week's Connie menu and for Night 6, they deleted the Irish stew and substituted tilapia.  Big sigh.  I don't even want to bother sending emails to X anymore.  They win.

• Like 3

So disappointed to read the current downward trends in the dining rooms.  This is such an insult to the professional chefs, sous chefs, etc. that work so hard to make passengers happy.  Literally, their hands are tied by the powers that be.  However, they and the dining room staff are on the front lines taking the heat for abysmal decisions by the higher ups in Miami. Shame on the "latest" upper management "team'!

• Like 7

The app is only showing desserts for many upcoming sailings because the previous menu was recently deleted. It is not a glitch, it is about the new menus have not been loaded in yet. Check the menu for the current sailing on the ship you will be on to give you an idea of what the menu will be. 

to understand what the new menus are you NEED to check the CURRENT sailing on YOUR ship. I can’t stress this enough. 

Edited by tigervixxxen

Everyone ought to read the Equinox review by mistermet, they just cruised. Positive reviews of MDR food. So maybe not as bleak as people fear, we sail in 2 weeks so will find out for ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You forgot to ask for an extra scoop of Mashed Potatoes.  🙂    Last time I did, they brought me a whole bowl.  LOL

As in the UK we tend to eat a lot more veg than our US friends I always order a side dish of mixed veg and often one of extra mash as well. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2023 at 7:04 AM, hcat said:

bringing down the caliber of food on X to Royal C level will not be very popular!  That is one area that set the two cruise lines apart   

On our cruise on Oasis a few yrs ago . the  food was like  a school dining hall..even in the Specialty venues..

that is by far not the only area that sets them apart.

We were on the Oasis this year. The food was good, definitely not the school lunch level (I have a middle schooler, so I would know), and definitely better than what OP is describing. I expected much worse, because the new menu was rolled out right before our cruise, but my fears were for not.

I looked at the new menu for our 8/25 Solstice sailing. Not impressed at all. We are booked on RCL in September and I looked at their new menu. IMO, much superior to Celebrity. I thankful I'm in the twilight of my cruising days and have the good memories of past times.

• Like 3

From the Celebrity website: "Our menus are crafted by Michelin-starred chef, Cornelius Gallagher, and are inspired by the amazing regions we visit around the world. . . .Along with our top culinary talent on board who prepare the dishes fresh daily using locally sourced ingredients, you’ll enjoy the best dining experience at sea."

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, aaaaa said:

From the Celebrity website: "Our menus are crafted by Michelin-starred chef, Cornelius Gallagher, and are inspired by the amazing regions we visit around the world. . . .Along with our top culinary talent on board who prepare the dishes fresh daily using locally sourced ingredients, you’ll enjoy the best dining experience at sea."

old news!

• Haha 1

On 8/19/2023 at 5:38 AM, lv2cruisgrl said:

Wow that is so disappointing.  We sail Beyond in November and if we encounter the same I will cancel our 2024 cruises.  Thank you for posting and remember to do the email survey they sent you.  It takes complaining to get things to improve.

I anticipate that the Beyond will have excellent food as did the apex and edge.  I would also book a couple of specialty restaurants- Eden was wonderful as was the steak house.  Enjoy

23 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I anticipate that the Beyond will have excellent food as did the apex and edge.  I would also book a couple of specialty restaurants- Eden was wonderful as was the steak house.  Enjoy

Thank you for your positive comments and I hope that you’re right. In anticipation we’ve taken a 3 meal deal in specialities and hope not to hear any negative comments about the Ascent or Beyond. I see that the price is now over £1k more for our Ascent cruise only about 8 weeks after we booked it!