International Flights

Smitheroo

Last time I was on an international flight was in 2013. One way from Manchester, UK was affordable and you were allowed at least 1 regular suitcase as well as a carry on.

I've been looking at flights from London after reconsidering the Joy voyage Jan 11th 2024.  All of the flights with reasonable prices only allow a personal item and the charges for checked bags are ridiculous.  TAP seems to allow a carry on. How does this work coming from ship?   Do people here who arrange their own international flights pay these luggage charges?   Also, when arranged through NCL does the Air Fare  promo include allowed luggage ?  I'm thinking probably not.

1 minute ago, Smitheroo said:

Last time I was on an international flight was in 2013. One way from Manchester, UK was affordable and you were allowed at least 1 regular suitcase as well as a carry on.

I've been looking at flights from London after reconsidering the Joy voyage Jan 11th 2024.  All of the flights with reasonable prices only allow a personal item and the charges for checked bags are ridiculous.  TAP seems to allow a carry on. How does this work coming from ship?   Do people here who arrange their own international flights pay these luggage charges?   Also, when arranged through NCL does the Air Fare  promo include allowed luggage ?  I'm thinking probably not.

Lots has changed in travel (and in the world) in the past 10 years. You are correct that luggage restrictions are one of them. Deciding whether to pay for luggage charges is up to you. There are various ways to avoid these charges (have a branded credit card with the airline is one way) but if I am traveling, either domestic or international, I consider them just the price of 'doing business'. And you are correct in your assumption that the NCL airfare promo does not include luggage...that is up to you to pay. 

45 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Also, when arranged through NCL does the Air Fare  promo include allowed luggage ?  I'm thinking probably not.

In short, NCL does not cover any baggage fees with their air booking.   The baggage policy will be dictated by the air carrier you get put on. 

If the airline charges baggage fees, then you will need to pay them, unless you have status on that airline or some other benefit that affords you free baggage on that specific airline. 

For example, when we get NCL air and get placed on United, we get free luggage due to our United Status.

When they gave us a Delta flight, we had to pay for luggage as we don't personally have any status on Delta.

When they've put us on Southwest, there was no fees since Southwest doesn't charge baggage fees for anyone.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Lots has changed in travel (and in the world) in the past 10 years. You are correct that luggage restrictions are one of them. Deciding whether to pay for luggage charges is up to you. There are various ways to avoid these charges (have a branded credit card with the airline is one way) but if I am traveling, either domestic or international, I consider them just the price of 'doing business'. And you are correct in your assumption that the NCL airfare promo does not include luggage...that is up to you to pay. 

Unless you have a branded credit card there is no way to avoid luggage charges.   Its not a choice, you need clothes for a cruise.  I didnt look at the actual charges, just the range  i.e.  $0-100 and panicked.  I sometimes pay for one checked bag on a domestic flight. It is usually about $35 which isnt a problem.      I'll take another look.  If you choose  NCL Air promo they pick the airline so you dont know what the charges will be until you know the asssigned airline.  No wonder I often read warnings about accepting NCL Air promo.  Too much out of your control. 

Keep in mind it's cheaper to pay for 2 under 23 kgs bags than a single bag that is overweight!

Doesn't matter whether the first bag is free (on some airlines) or not but the 2nd bag is often cheaper than the first bag that is overweight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Last time I was on an international flight was ...  TAP seems to allow a carry on. How does this work coming from ship?  Do people here who arrange their own international flights pay these luggage charges? ... 

We've flown mostly overseas these days, pre- and post-pandemic and as noted, lots of changes with airlines of the world.  Flying coach ("Y" class) or economy meant, typically, dealing with 3 to 5 sub-category of fare codes, options, restrictions and "extra" perks or "privileges" that used to be taken for granted, as given ... for our (in)convenience - like freestyle cruising, opt-out and opt-in for additional fee(s) or costs.  It is what it is - you'll find the same or similar flying domestic and within the Americas, whether it's Delta, American and the once preferred/favorite airline of ours since the 1970's - United, remember the old tagline of the "Friendly Skies" ... not so much these days.  

I can briefly elaborate TAP-Portugal, as we've flown them & will be using them again soon, one-way outbound travel.  I'm pretty sure that with Economy "Discount", you are allowed one carry-on luggage (22 x 14 x 9) plus a small personal bag (very small - 16" x 12" x 6") at 2 kg or 4.4 lbs - without being paying extra fees.  Carry-on is limited to 10 kg or 22 lbs, and they are known to enforce & use a scale at the boarding gate overseas ... not just the "hated" sizer that most of us ran into.  The "Classic" fare allows 1 checked bags up to 23 kg. or 50 lbs ... whereas the "Extra" or Comfort Plus (E Plus in other airlines) allows 2 checked bags along with other enhanced perks like priority check-in & preferred seating in the main cabin (forward section) with better legroom (33" to 34" - depending on the aircraft configuration being flown). 

For flights from/to the Americas, the checked bag fee is around $100 USD per piece (excess weight & oversized ones will be more/higher)   However, if you add them up and shop/compare with British Air, Lufthansa, Delta or American, etc. - you are likely to find TAP to still come out ahead and less ... but, likely need to connect via their Lisbon, Portugal "hub" instead of flying non-stop.  Caution - do not risk getting stopped at the gate & end up checking the bag for a fee as the baggage fee will be higher.  Use a travel vest or equivalent, and, "wear" some of your heavier items, gears, etc. when boarding ... my vest can easily handle 10 lbs. worth of gadgets & personal items needed.  

Not a fan of flying thru LIS but it is what it is - most aircrafts are parked at a remote gate outside on the tarmac, requiring a shuttle bus to/from the terminal, and, climbing those stairs to board and/or deplane - with luggage.  Apparently, it is one of the reasons (excuses) for TP to limit "all" flyers to not attempt to board with those 35 or 40 lbs "carry-on" as it's not fun to lift and haul them around.  

2 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

We've flown mostly overseas these days, pre- and post-pandemic and as noted, lots of changes with airlines of the world.  Flying coach ("Y" class) or economy meant, typically, dealing with 3 to 5 sub-category of fare codes, options, restrictions and "extra" perks or "privileges" that used to be taken for granted, as given ... for our (in)convenience - like freestyle cruising, opt-out and opt-in for additional fee(s) or costs.  It is what it is - you'll find the same or similar flying domestic and within the Americas, whether it's Delta, American and the once preferred/favorite airline of ours since the 1970's - United, remember the old tagline of the "Friendly Skies" ... not so much these days.  

I can briefly elaborate TAP-Portugal, as we've flown them & will be using them again soon, one-way outbound travel.  I'm pretty sure that with Economy "Discount", you are allowed one carry-on luggage (22 x 14 x 9) plus a small personal bag (very small - 16" x 12" x 6") at 2 kg or 4.4 lbs - without being paying extra fees.  Carry-on is limited to 10 kg or 22 lbs, and they are known to enforce & use a scale at the boarding gate overseas ... not just the "hated" sizer that most of us ran into.  The "Classic" fare allows 1 checked bags up to 23 kg. or 50 lbs ... whereas the "Extra" or Comfort Plus (E Plus in other airlines) allows 2 checked bags along with other enhanced perks like priority check-in & preferred seating in the main cabin (forward section) with better legroom (33" to 34" - depending on the aircraft configuration being flown). 

For flights from/to the Americas, the checked bag fee is around $100 USD per piece (excess weight & oversized ones will be more/higher)   However, if you add them up and shop/compare with British Air, Lufthansa, Delta or American, etc. - you are likely to find TAP to still come out ahead and less ... but, likely need to connect via their Lisbon, Portugal "hub" instead of flying non-stop.  Caution - do not risk getting stopped at the gate & end up checking the bag for a fee as the baggage fee will be higher.  Use a travel vest or equivalent, and, "wear" some of your heavier items, gears, etc. when boarding ... my vest can easily handle 10 lbs. worth of gadgets & personal items needed.  

Not a fan of flying thru LIS but it is what it is - most aircrafts are parked at a remote gate outside on the tarmac, requiring a shuttle bus to/from the terminal, and, climbing those stairs to board and/or deplane - with luggage.  Apparently, it is one of the reasons (excuses) for TP to limit "all" flyers to not attempt to board with those 35 or 40 lbs "carry-on" as it's not fun to lift and haul them around.  

Thank you. I have no problem with paying luggage fees for one checked bag on domestic flights but it is a different story when they want $100 per bag.  I might have to figure out how to get by with a carry on. Might not be too hard for a solo TA. Just a few years ago, but before Covid, international airlines were still allowing one checked bag free of charge.  I was planning a land trip but cancelled because of Covid. 

9 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Keep in mind it's cheaper to pay for 2 under 23 kgs bags than a single bag that is overweight!

Doesn't matter whether the first bag is free (on some airlines) or not but the 2nd bag is often cheaper than the first bag that is overweight.

I'm not even considering a 2nd bag lol.  I'm traveling solo and I think I will downsize to a carry on.  I feel sorry for families who are not very well off.

11 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Thank you. I have no problem with paying luggage fees for one checked bag on domestic flights but it is a different story when they want $100 per bag.  I might have to figure out how to get by with a carry on. Might not be too hard for a solo TA. Just a few years ago, but before Covid, international airlines were still allowing one checked bag free of charge.  I was planning a land trip but cancelled because of Covid. 

$100 per bag??? Usually it's $30-40. Overweight bag is $100!

Seeing that you live in Maine I would assume Boston is your major airport for the long hauls across the pond. If I'm right, i suggest you check out JetBlue .... 544 UK pounds one way from LHR to BOS (non-stop) and it includes one checked in bag. 😃

Another alternative is Icelandair - if you are feeling adventurous ... short layover in Keflavik to change planes - easy peasy, I can tell you - or ... you can stop off to spend a few days in Iceland at no extra airfare .... we've done that several times when we crossed the pond to/from the UK to see my dad (now deceased).

By the way now there are several airlines that offer cheaper one way flights and they are a boon to us cruisers that do transatlantic/pacific crossings and re-positioning cruises. I have been fortunate enough to be able to find them myself and over the years I have gotten great deals. 

We personally don't/won't use NCL air, mainly because we live in Bermuda and it is easier for me to search for good flights/deals from/to any of the gateway airports that we fly to from Bermuda (Boston, JFK, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly are the 6).

Enjoy the hunt!

47 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

For flights from/to the Americas, the checked bag fee is around $100 USD per piece (excess weight & oversized ones will be more/higher)     

We've flown a lot internationally (we live in Bermuda), often via the US, and have never been charged $100 per bag!!  Usually $30 to $40 if we're flying cheap. 2nd bag about $5 more than the first ($35 to $45), and the 3rd  bag $100 & up. If the 1st or 2nd bag is overweight then it's $100.

34 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

We've flown a lot internationally (we live in Bermuda), often via the US, and have never been charged $100 per bag!!  Usually $30 to $40 if we're flying cheap. 2nd bag about $5 more than the first ($35 to $45), and the 3rd  bag $100 & up. If the 1st or 2nd bag is overweight then it's $100.

please identify the airline.  Maybe they make it up with the fares?   What do you mean by flying cheap?  

$100 per bag per way sounds expensive.

On my next trip across the pond (ARN-SEA , roundtrip with KLM/Airfrance) I think the difference between the two lowest fares was around $100-120 roundtrip. That also included option to reschedule without a fee. The lowest class had a pretty hefty reschedule fee.

46 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Seeing that you live in Maine I would assume Boston is your major airport for the long hauls across the pond. If I'm right, i suggest you check out JetBlue .... 544 UK pounds one way from LHR to BOS (non-stop) and it includes one checked in bag. 😃

Another alternative is Icelandair - if you are feeling adventurous ... short layover in Keflavik to change planes - easy peasy, I can tell you - or ... you can stop off to spend a few days in Iceland at no extra airfare .... we've done that several times when we crossed the pond to/from the UK to see my dad (now deceased).

By the way now there are several airlines that offer cheaper one way flights and they are a boon to us cruisers that do transatlantic/pacific crossings and re-positioning cruises. I have been fortunate enough to be able to find them myself and over the years I have gotten great deals. 

We personally don't/won't use NCL air, mainly because we live in Bermuda and it is easier for me to search for good flights/deals from/to any of the gateway airports that we fly to from Bermuda (Boston, JFK, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly are the 6).

Enjoy the hunt!

Yes, I fly out of Boston most of the time. We have an international airport in Maine in Bangor and Portland but that involves changing planes (depends on where you are going of course) and is more expensive (not a factor for some)  I will say I'm not going to pay 544 (lbs or dollars) for a one way flight from Europe to the East Coast.  I often fly Jet Blue (had the travel card at one time)  and I did fly through Iceland at one time (1999) on Icelandair back and forth to Scotland.  I'd like to see Iceland again.  I think I will seriously consider TAP and downsize to a carry on. Easier to handle too.

1 minute ago, Smitheroo said:

please identify the airline.  Maybe they make it up with the fares?   What do you mean by flying cheap?  

AA, Delta, Icelandair, AlaskaAir, etc. Cheap means the fare doesn't include free checked bags, like Y fare. 

We live in Bermuda which means we need to hop over to the US to meet the international flights.

When I book flights, some airlines pop up a selection of fares for you to choose one. We select the one that include free checked bags. Some airlines don't do that so we pay extra for the bags. But never $100 per bag!

16 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I have no problem with paying luggage fees for one checked bag on domestic flights but it is a different story when they want $100 per bag.  I might have to figure out how to get by with a carry on ... 

Understood, a lot has changed since 2020 ... prices gone up to reflect rising costs, supply logistics & labor issues ... and management / stockholder's greed 😳  We can spend days, weeks & months over the CC Floataway Lounge to debate & chat, ditto for Flyertalk Forum ... 

I'm surprised that you found or came up with a flight routing on TP from London (LHR ??) back to Maine, or perhaps you are close enough to Boston as I see some options, not great, based on a random date - with 4 different fare options in Economy: Discount, Basic, Classic and Comfort ...

If you can manage to fly & travel solo (22 lbs max, content and luggage combined ... think RyanAir) - that's your best deal, the extra cost by adding & prepaying ahead for a checked 50 lb bag is about $71 USD (converted from Euros) ... no choice in seat selection and no changes allowed.  Basic fare is higher by another $71, allowing for change & seat selection in advance.  For an extra $45, you get to check a 2nd bag plus refund if you choose to cancel in accordance with fine prints.  These prices are typical for transcon flights, intra-Europe and shorter flights have different pricing (lower) as displayed at TP.   I believe Star Alliance (i.e. United) flyers with status are entitled to exemption(s) as set forth. 

@bluesea777  Should've clarify that for TAP, that $100 USD fee is when flyers flagged by the gate dragons "guarding" access to the jet bridge during boarding, and forced to check their bags  - paying ahead during online check-in and even already at the airport's ticket / bag drop, it is "less".    On domestic routes, we lean toward B6 or JetBlue these days and their luggage fees are more "reasonable" than TP, competitive with the 3 big surviving legacy US carriers.  TP actually realigned their bag allowance earlier this year, up from 44 lbs or 20 kg to 50 lbs or 23 kg) 

Meal & beverage services included for all 4 fares - on TAP flights, there's a full meal service plus a light (cold) snack service pre-arrival, pretty "rare" these days for a typical 6 to 7 hour flight, wine is complimentary onboard.  It's not great but not bad either.  Services onboard were good and even basic economy seats do recline, A330-300 NEO with 2-3-2 configuration preferred over the A320/1 LR-NEO although both are flown across the pond.  

Airlines, like cruise lines are doing their nickels & dimes - no worst than hotels with their resort fees & parking charges, and upcharging for "additional" premium services.  

• Thanks 1

I have always gotten at least 1 checked bag free for any international flight that has been booked through NCL air.  Sometimes 2, it depends on the destination.  You can google the international baggage allowances by airline & destination. London from the US would be 1 bag for most airlines, although some of the smaller independent ones may have other policies.

Domestic, I've had to pay - although I'm booked on Southwest for my next cruise, so no baggage fees.

10 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I think I will seriously consider TAP and downsize to a carry on. Easier to handle too.

TAP is more expensive because TAP is a Portugal airline and doesn't fly non stop between the UK and US, and it costs more than Jet Blue because you need to fly to Lisbon on the way to change planes for Boston.

3 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

All the cost of going on travel. Has nothing to do about cruising, in particular. If you don't travel much and don't have status, then you pay the bag fees. They used to spread to cost of flying bags over all passengers (every pound of baggage on a plane cost labor to load/unload and fuel to move). Now they charge those who have bags.

For those with status, you get free bags that is already figured into their cost model. Like, we have status on American Airlines, so they allow us 3 bags each at 70 lbs each (domestic and international).... which everyone else pays for with their bag fees. 

6 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

TAP is more expensive because TAP is a Portugal airline and doesn't fly non stop between the UK and US, and it costs more than Jet Blue because you need to fly to Lisbon on the way to change planes for Boston.

The prices I saw werent more expensive