International Flights

Smitheroo

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

All the cost of going on travel. Has nothing to do about cruising, in particular. If you don't travel much and don't have status, then you pay the bag fees. They used to spread to cost of flying bags over all passengers (every pound of baggage on a plane cost labor to load/unload and fuel to move). Now they charge those who have bags.

For those with status, you get free bags that is already figured into their cost model. Like, we have status on American Airlines, so they allow us 3 bags each at 70 lbs each (domestic and international).... which everyone else pays for with their bag fees. 

The reason I asked this question in this forum was because I wondered if people here paid the baggage fees I saw quoted when I searched. And the answer seems to be yes they do.  Maybe I should stick with US Ports.   I dont have an airline travel card anymore but do have an NCL card

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

I have always gotten at least 1 checked bag free for any international flight that has been booked through NCL air.  Sometimes 2, it depends on the destination.  You can google the international baggage allowances by airline & destination. London from the US would be 1 bag for most airlines, although some of the smaller independent ones may have other policies.

Domestic, I've had to pay - although I'm booked on Southwest for my next cruise, so no baggage fees.

We just flew NCL air, to London from Newark with a layover in Montreal on Air Canada and back to Newark from Reykjavik on Iceland Air. We each checked one bag and had a small carryon. We paid no baggage fees.

Not only are their luggage fees but sometimes there's a fee to select your seat ! And seat prices vary depending on where they're located. Crazy.  But each airline has their own fees and rul

I fly to London nearly every yr; either from Seattle or Tucson.  And I only fly with a 22" carryon whether I'm travelling for 1 week or 3.  It's not hard to do, and it makes travel so much easier.  No dragging multiple cases thru the airport, I can easily hop onto a subway or train, and I never worry about lost luggage!  I can use the laundry bag on the ship for $30 and on a long trip I'll find a laundromat and enjoy a cafe/peoplewatch while I wait. 

I usually fly BA.  Always economy.  There are 2 levels of economy. With the most basic fare, you pay extra for your seat selection and for checked luggage. But with the next level you can choose your seat and get 1 checked bag (51lbs) for only $85 more.

Use google.com/flights to see which airlines fly from your home airport then check each airline to see what the fare is, and what is included or extra.

6 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

The reason I asked this question in this forum was because I wondered if people here paid the baggage fees I saw quoted when I searched. And the answer seems to be yes they do.  Maybe I should stick with US Ports.   I dont have an airline travel card anymore but do have an NCL card

I have always had one bag included with all overseas flights I have had with NCL

Just book Business class. That solves baggage fees, seat selection fees, gives you better quality food, usually lay flat seats, certainly more leg room, lounge access, sometimes priority security and boarding and a few other things.

Otherwise,  to state the obvious,  things have changed in 10 years. To say you aren't going to fly international because you don't like the changes in the last decade is severely restricting your access to the world. The world is an amazing and wonderful place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

So some people have not had to pay baggage fees and some have.  Hmmmmmm  confusing

If your traveling on a single ticket, the rules for the overseas flight generally override the rules for the connecting flights. 

So as an example, your flight to Boston to say Newark mighty normally have a baggage fee but if your connecting on to Lisbon then its is the rules for Newark to Lisbon that take precedence.   

TAP has a few different types of economy fares.  Between North America and Europe everything except "Discount Class" fares includes a checked bag.  That would extend to any local connecting flights if sold as part of the same ticket.

Edited by em-sk
  • Thanks 1

So some people have not had to pay baggage fees and some have.

It sounds like you're getting a bit hung up on maybe having to pay baggage fees. Don't.

What's happened is this: It used to be that you might pay (say) $500 for a long-haul ticket, which would include a checked bag. Airlines that used to price on this basis now often offer "unbundled" fares that mean that you pay (say) $450 for the ticket, plus (say) a $50 fee if you choose to check a bag. This has been done to keep the headline fare lower, largely as a competitive response to new low-fare airlines that have always priced everything on an unbundled basis.

So it's a conceptual misunderstanding to think that a baggage fee is something that you now have to pay in addition to the fare, and that you never had to pay before. It's basically been broken out of the old pricing system, so that (for example) you can now choose to not pay for a checked bag if you're not taking one. There are sometimes ways to get an airline to waive a baggage fee, but it would be ridiculous to cite the existence of baggage fees as a reason not to fly at all. If you really object to paying a separate fee, you can always choose to fly with an airline that offers inclusive tickets priced on the traditional basis, which means that you don't have to think about any baggage fees for the included bag(s).

If your confusion arises because it's not clear whether cruise line-booked air fares are inclusive or unbundled, then the solution is easy: book your own air fare so that you have control over it. Cruise line-booked air travel is notorious for taking away all your control, all your choice and all your options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You just said you won't pay $544 for a one way fare overseas. You may have no choice. First, one way fares are always more expensive! Second, you could find a super cheap airline, but you pay for everything. Airlines like Ryanair for example, make you pay for seat selection, carryons, etc. They frequently cancel flights and then you miss your cruise. I've flown TAP a number of times. TAP and a number of European airlines require a smaller carryon than American airlines do, and they have a metal bin they make you put yours in. If it sticks out in the least, you must pay to check it. They weigh them, too. If it is overweight at all, you pay extra. I imagine your carryon is too big for TAP, and you need to buy a new one.  Some of the airline credit cards only get you free luggage for domestic flights, for example American Airlines. And domestic airline prices have shot up in price as well. Look into flying into an alternate airport and taking a train or bus. That could save you money. Start monitoring flight prices. Google flights lets you set up alerts, I think. JetBlue is a good choice, but be aware they don't belong to an alliance, so they won't put you on a different airline if your flight is cancelled. Finally, plan your flight for at least 2-3 days early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

So some people have not had to pay baggage fees and some have.  Hmmmmmm  confusing

Actually, it need not be confusing....

Some of us travel to our cruise port with just a carryon in the cheapest seat offered by an airline.

Some of us look at the cheapest cost of the seat plus addons and decide if it is worth it or not.

Some of us know that we do not care for all of the 'add-ons' for the cheapest seats and opt for the lowest 'mostly' inclusive fare available at the time we book for minimal up-charges.

Some of us know that we do not care for either seat type or service offered in coach on many airlines and opt to upgrade, rather that be full payment, points or ????

Those of us who have paid baggage fees, do so as overall it was the most economical way to get to and fro our destination.

If the 'total cost' of any air travel is too costly to/fro certain destination, in your opinion, then you will need to be very, very selective as to when and how you want to travel for cost purposes and that is understandable by many of us as not everyone wants or can afford full fare coach, P(+), Business or FC....

At any rate enjoy and bon voyage

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Globaliser said:

It sounds like you're getting a bit hung up on maybe having to pay baggage fees. Don't.

What's happened is this: It used to be that you might pay (say) $500 for a long-haul ticket, which would include a checked bag. Airlines that used to price on this basis now often offer "unbundled" fares that mean that you pay (say) $450 for the ticket, plus (say) a $50 fee if you choose to check a bag. This has been done to keep the headline fare lower, largely as a competitive response to new low-fare airlines that have always priced everything on an unbundled basis.

So it's a conceptual misunderstanding to think that a baggage fee is something that you now have to pay in addition to the fare, and that you never had to pay before. It's basically been broken out of the old pricing system, so that (for example) you can now choose to not pay for a checked bag if you're not taking one. There are sometimes ways to get an airline to waive a baggage fee, but it would be ridiculous to cite the existence of baggage fees as a reason not to fly at all. If you really object to paying a separate fee, you can always choose to fly with an airline that offers inclusive tickets priced on the traditional basis, which means that you don't have to think about any baggage fees for the included bag(s).

If your confusion arises because it's not clear whether cruise line-booked air fares are inclusive or unbundled, then the solution is easy: book your own air fare so that you have control over it. Cruise line-booked air travel is notorious for taking away all your control, all your choice and all your options.

I dont have a big problem with paying baggage fees (of course I dont like it, who does) unless the fee is $75- $100 on a fare of $500 (one way).   The cheaper fares often are carry-on only (kind of hard on a cruise) and I have even seen personal bag only.  The answer for me right now seems to be stick to cruises that leave and return to domestic (US) Ports. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, sambamama said:

You just said you won't pay $544 for a one way fare overseas. You may have no choice. First, one way fares are always more expensive! Second, you could find a super cheap airline, but you pay for everything. Airlines like Ryanair for example, make you pay for seat selection, carryons, etc. They frequently cancel flights and then you miss your cruise. I've flown TAP a number of times. TAP and a number of European airlines require a smaller carryon than American airlines do, and they have a metal bin they make you put yours in. If it sticks out in the least, you must pay to check it. They weigh them, too. If it is overweight at all, you pay extra. I imagine your carryon is too big for TAP, and you need to buy a new one.  Some of the airline credit cards only get you free luggage for domestic flights, for example American Airlines. And domestic airline prices have shot up in price as well. Look into flying into an alternate airport and taking a train or bus. That could save you money. Start monitoring flight prices. Google flights lets you set up alerts, I think. JetBlue is a good choice, but be aware they don't belong to an alliance, so they won't put you on a different airline if your flight is cancelled. Finally, plan your flight for at least 2-3 days early.

I will stick with cruises that leave and return from US Ports until I run out of choices. For me its actually the ship ride rather than the ports that I enjoy most, with a TA being the ultimate experience lol.  Good point about the different rules for luggage with foreign airlines I'm not familiar with.  I fly domestic and there is often a wide range of fares. I'm not picky and will fly overnight. I got an overnight flight on Spirit coast to coast recently for $64.  Ok, no luggage lol but $64???  It worked for me at the time.  You are right, I would never arrange to arrive on the day of my cruise. So someone might say, well you are adding to your overall costs by paying for a hotel.  Not to me, because that would be an experience, paying extra to sit on a plane is not.

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just book Business class. That solves baggage fees, seat selection fees, gives you better quality food, usually lay flat seats, certainly more leg room, lounge access, sometimes priority security and boarding and a few other things.

Otherwise,  to state the obvious,  things have changed in 10 years. To say you aren't going to fly international because you don't like the changes in the last decade is severely restricting your access to the world. The world is an amazing and wonderful place.

Oh, I know , I love the idea of visiting other countries.   But since I'm just starting out with cruising there's a lot to choose from US Ports to avoid steep fares.    "Just book Business Class" is not an option for a lot of people!  (I have flown First Class domestically quite a few times and yes, it is wonderful but it was on frequent flyer miles)   Maybe its better to find a flight and then find a cruise that fits the schedule.   Because I know fares change 

17 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Not only are their luggage fees but sometimes there's a fee to select your seat ! And seat prices vary depending on where they're located. Crazy.  But each airline has their own fees and rul

I fly to London nearly every yr; either from Seattle or Tucson.  And I only fly with a 22" carryon whether I'm travelling for 1 week or 3.  It's not hard to do, and it makes travel so much easier.  No dragging multiple cases thru the airport, I can easily hop onto a subway or train, and I never worry about lost luggage!  I can use the laundry bag on the ship for $30 and on a long trip I'll find a laundromat and enjoy a cafe/peoplewatch while I wait. 

I usually fly BA.  Always economy.  There are 2 levels of economy. With the most basic fare, you pay extra for your seat selection and for checked luggage. But with the next level you can choose your seat and get 1 checked bag (51lbs) for only $85 more.

Use google.com/flights to see which airlines fly from your home airport then check each airline to see what the fare is, and what is included or extra.

I just checked BA. Seats were almost 2,000 pounds (conversion to USD not too different) each. Seriously? NCL Air is looking better and better, even with the risks involved.   Jet Blue were between 500-600 carryon only.  The cost NCL estimated on the Air flights were no where near these.   

3 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I just checked BA. Seats were almost 2,000 pounds (conversion to USD not too different) each. Seriously? NCL Air is looking better and better, even with the risks involved.   Jet Blue were between 500-600 carryon only.  The cost NCL estimated on the Air flights were no where near these.   

Do you get to choose the flights/routing  with NCL?

Hi, I always sail solo and have taken at least 6 cruises over the past 18 months with 5 out of those 6 international and I have never paid 100.00 for a checked bag. I always bring 1 checked bag and 1 carry on.

I dont have a big problem with paying baggage fees (of course I dont like it, who does) ... The answer for me right now seems to be stick to cruises that leave and return to domestic (US) Ports.

I'm sure that we all like getting more for less money. But if your complaint is that you're now having to pay for something you never used to have to pay for, it's just not true. What's changed is basically that you can now see it, whereas you couldn't before.

It seems illogical to react to this by not flying internationally and restricting yourself to US-based cruises. That doesn't exempt you from baggage fees; in fact, you may be more likely to have to pay baggage fees than if you were flying internationally. The only logical reason I can immediately think of for imposing such a restriction on yourself is if cruises that involve international travel have become unaffordable for you because of the higher total cost of travel. But then international travel - indeed, all travel - has become more expensive, particularly in the last 3½ years. Affordability (or unaffordability) isn't really to do with the practice of unbundling fares.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I'm sure that we all like getting more for less money. But if your complaint is that you're now having to pay for something you never used to have to pay for, it's just not true. What's changed is basically that you can now see it, whereas you couldn't before.

It seems illogical to react to this by not flying internationally and restricting yourself to US-based cruises. That doesn't exempt you from baggage fees; in fact, you may be more likely to have to pay baggage fees than if you were flying internationally. The only logical reason I can immediately think of for imposing such a restriction on yourself is if cruises that involve international travel have become unaffordable for you because of the higher total cost of travel. But then international travel - indeed, all travel - has become more expensive, particularly in the last 3½ years. Affordability (or unaffordability) isn't really to do with the practice of unbundling fares.

I dont have a problem with paying baggage fees. What I have is a problem paying them on top of a $500 one way fare.  I never pay anything near that domestically so I willingly pay for a checked bag if I need that much clothes

17 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I dont have a problem with paying baggage fees. What I have is a problem paying them on top of a $500 one way fare.  I never pay anything near that domestically so I willingly pay for a checked bag if I need that much clothes

Aha!  Now we have it.

The OP has become so used to paying for cheap flights (probably just down to Florida) that he has minimal understanding of the costs of going across the pond (a significantly longer distance).  Add on that he will pay for a bag on a cheap fare, but doesn't want to if the ticket costs more.

There is a simple answer.  Either:

a)  Take only cheap domestic flights so you can then afford (in your mind) to pay for baggage, or

b)  Take more expensive flights and go strictly with carry-on bags.

Actually, there is one other option.  Recognize that travel to Europe is more expensive than travel to Florida and decide if you want to spend the money to go there.

(And thankfully, the OP isn't looking at ticket prices to Australia or Africa)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I always sail solo and have taken at least 6 cruises over the past 18 months with 5 out of those 6 international and I have never paid 100.00 for a checked bag. I always bring 1 checked bag and 1 carry on.

May not have been $100 but close at $75.  I can only go by what I see when I do a search at the present time because I have been told my previous experience is history.  I agree it is.  Some people say they dont pay baggage fees, some do, some dont with NCL air..... 

6 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Aha!  Now we have it.

The OP has become so used to paying for cheap flights (probably just down to Florida) that he has minimal understanding of the costs of going across the pond (a significantly longer distance).  Add on that he will pay for a bag on a cheap fare, but doesn't want to if the ticket costs more.

There is a simple answer.  Either:

a)  Take only cheap domestic flights so you can then afford (in your mind) to pay for baggage, or

b)  Take more expensive flights and go strictly with carry-on bags.

Actually, there is one other option.  Recognize that travel to Europe is more expensive than travel to Florida and decide if you want to spend the money to go there.

(And thankfully, the OP isn't looking at ticket prices to Australia or Africa)

I , a woman by the way,not a "he", feel like this thread is heading towards a personal attack on my choices.  Never once did I criticize anyone willing to pay, or even suggest the airlines are robbing us.  We all have budgets to keep to.  btw, I havent flown to Florida in decades. I got the feeling that was a put down. I have already decided to stick to US Ports until I run out of choices. Actually I'm reconsidering NCL Air.  

Just now, Smitheroo said:

May not have been $100 but close at $75.  I can only go by what I see when I do a search at the present time because I have been told my previous experience is history.  I agree it is.  Some people say they dont pay baggage fees, some do, some dont with NCL air..... 

Of course you are getting different answers because there are hundreds of different outcomes, depending on your itinerary and airline chosen. You can't generalize.  NCL does NOT pay baggage fees. That is easily said.  And they book economy flights. MOST domestic carriers, SW excluded, charge baggage fees for domestic if you book economy. Your mileage will vary depending on the ticket you choose and the airline carrier, your status with the airline, etc. 

Most of the larger airlines include 1 or 2 bags for international flights, depending on the destination. Has nothing to do with who booked the ticket, it's the policy of the airline.

• Like 2