International Flights

Smitheroo

44 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I dont have a problem with paying baggage fees. What I have is a problem paying them on top of a $500 one way fare.

What's the problem with a $500 one-way fare for trans-Atlantic travel? That's pretty cheap these days. (See "affordability" above.)

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Of course you are getting different answers because there are hundreds of different outcomes, depending on your itinerary and airline chosen. You can't generalize.  NCL does NOT pay baggage fees. That is easily said.  And they book economy flights. MOST domestic carriers, SW excluded, charge baggage fees for domestic if you book economy. Your mileage will vary depending on the ticket you choose and the airline carrier, your status with the airline, etc. 

Most of the larger airlines include 1 or 2 bags for international flights, depending on the destination. Has nothing to do with who booked the ticket, it's the policy of the airline.

Most of the international airlines do not include free checked bags at prices I am willing to pay. At least not the searches I have done recently.  No, many domestic airlines offer fares that I consider reasonable that include a  checked bag. I have plenty of experience flying domestic and I rarely choose the "basic" option unless I dont need to take a lot of clothes. And although I like to choose my seat not being able to is not a deal breaker.  I was surprised when I saw the the reasonable fee that NCL Air charges in their promo  

Thanks to everyone for contributing.  I've got plenty of answers so am not going to comment in this thread anymore as I feel I am having to defend my choices when that wasnt the intent of my original post. I  now know that  some people pay baggage fees, some never do and it depends the individual circumstance.  

7 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Most of the international airlines do not include free checked bags at prices I am willing to pay. At least not the searches I have done recently.  No, many domestic airlines offer fares that I consider reasonable that include a  checked bag. I have plenty of experience flying domestic and I rarely choose the "basic" option unless I dont need to take a lot of clothes. And although I like to choose my seat not being able to is not a deal breaker.  I was surprised when I saw the the reasonable fee that NCL Air charges in their promo  

Well, 8 international cruises/flights through NCL and I have yet to pay any baggage fees. And I usually am able to pick my seats, sometimes for a fee if I want to upgrade. NCL, in my experience, books economy, not basic if there is a difference.

And I do pay baggage fees for domestic flights at the prices I'm willing to pay - because I do take the basic option.

21 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Do you get to choose the flights/routing  with NCL?

Not unless you pay for premium air which then negates the "free" or discounted NCL air

20 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I have no personal experience with NCL Air but from what I've read, no

Correct.  And when things go south, they're particularly helpless, and hopeless.  YMMV but I won't ever use their free or discounted air

And while many may not like cruise line air (from OTHER lines), I've been (knock wood, and knock again) lucky and have saved a bit of money and it's enabled me to fly in either Premium Economy (like domestic first class) or even business.  And I've not paid for a bag in either situation. (again, due to PE or Biz, 1 or 2 bags were included).  Caveat: know what you're buying, be proactive, pay attention to any changes and have several back up plans.  

I had a flight cancelled last year, and again this year, and the carriers (SAS and BA) rebooked me in the same cabin that I was originally in, either on another carrier or a different flight.  The cruise line didn't do much, but the carriers did their job and in one case, I went from a connection on SAS to a nonstop on UA.  

I have low level elite status with UA so I don't pay for my first bag so that also helps.  (I got it thru Marriott Bonvoy as it's a perk for Titanium members).

My first TA was actually a crossing on Queen Mary 2 so I had premium economy air across the pond, (to Dublin, I got myself to London and then Southampton).  and then I sailed home.  It was fantastic and I only wish I'd gotten across the pond sooner in life.

I've never paid more than 40 bucks for a bag on any carrier on any flight.  (for the 1st bag.  Usually if I'm checking 2, they're either both free based on being in the front of the plane, or one is free since I'm on UA and then only paying for 1)

Edited by megr1125

53 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Not unless you pay for premium air which then negates the "free" or discounted NCL air

Correct.  And when things go south, they're particularly helpless, and hopeless.  YMMV but I won't ever use their free or discounted air

And while many may not like cruise line air (from OTHER lines), I've been (knock wood, and knock again) lucky and have saved a bit of money and it's enabled me to fly in either Premium Economy (like domestic first class) or even business.  And I've not paid for a bag in either situation. (again, due to PE or Biz, 1 or 2 bags were included).  Caveat: know what you're buying, be proactive, pay attention to any changes and have several back up plans.  

I had a flight cancelled last year, and again this year, and the carriers (SAS and BA) rebooked me in the same cabin that I was originally in, either on another carrier or a different flight.  The cruise line didn't do much, but the carriers did their job and in one case, I went from a connection on SAS to a nonstop on UA.  

I have low level elite status with UA so I don't pay for my first bag so that also helps.  (I got it thru Marriott Bonvoy as it's a perk for Titanium members).

My first TA was actually a crossing on Queen Mary 2 so I had premium economy air across the pond, (to Dublin, I got myself to London and then Southampton).  and then I sailed home.  It was fantastic and I only wish I'd gotten across the pond sooner in life.

I've never paid more than 40 bucks for a bag on any carrier on any flight.  (for the 1st bag.  Usually if I'm checking 2, they're either both free based on being in the front of the plane, or one is free since I'm on UA and then only paying for 1)

Thank you. I decided to see what people continue to add.  I'm going to ignore those I feel are not trying to help.   When I get time later I will do a search and post a screen shot at what I am looking at, price of baggage fee etc. I cant comment on what you wrote because I realize now it all depends on the individual circumstances but it sounds like you've been pleased.   Maybe its more common to have an international flight cancelled but I've never had a domestic flight cancelled (unless due to weather which I expected) 

I was on the QM2 in January 2013 and like you, enjoyed it. I just returned to ship travel this past February, my first real "cruise" on the Joy,  and enjoyed that also.  The QM2 has had a refurbish since 2013 so it must be really  nice.

19 hours ago, julig22 said:

Well, 8 international cruises/flights through NCL and I have yet to pay any baggage fees. And I usually am able to pick my seats, sometimes for a fee if I want to upgrade. NCL, in my experience, books economy, not basic if there is a difference.

And I do pay baggage fees for domestic flights at the prices I'm willing to pay - because I do take the basic option.

What I meant by saying I dont take the basic option  was  that checked bags are often included in the next category of ticket and that category  is still within what I am willing to pay. (I apologize to anyone who is riled up by that term)  This is domestic though and I admit I have little experience with International which was the point of starting the thread. I dont understand why you dont pay baggage fees when everything I have looked at (in my limited time frame) does not include checked luggage. The higher fares might but did not look at them.  I checked BA yesterday and the flights I saw where over 1,000 pounds (for some reason I couldnt get USD but the conversion is close) Even if I could afford that I wouldnt be willing to pay it which I think you would agree is my choice. Just like even if I could afford Haven I wouldnt pay it, not criticizing anyone who could and would.   Thanks for your input and I'll keep researching

20 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Affordability is subjective, yes.

Whether a particular fare is "cheap these days" is not. You can compare that to general trends and patterns in current market prices.

20 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Affordability is subjective, yes.

Whether a particular fare is "cheap these days" is not. You can compare that to general trends and patterns in current market prices.

"Cheap" is also subjective. What someone considers cheap might not be cheap to someone else. 

14 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I dont understand why you dont pay baggage fees when everything I have looked at (in my limited time frame) does not include checked luggage.

It depends on the airline policy and the destination. Some airlines are listed here.

thepointsguy.com/guide/airline-baggage-fees

Edited by julig22

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Can you say what airline  is $500   & the city pairs you are using?

Usually our  overseas flights  are way more  than tat one way 

It probably has a lot to do with where you are flying from and if connecting flights are involved. In my case, Boston is a major hub.

Ok here we go. These attachments are from London to Boston in January. Even at the higher fares by major airlines its carry on bag only. People who are getting checked bags without paying must have status with the airlines or some other perks. And I checked the baggage fee for one checked bag- $78

The last one is London to Newark

FireShot Capture 207 - LON to BOS flights - www.expedia.com.png

FireShot Capture 206 - LON to BOS flights - www.expedia.com.png

FireShot Capture 205 - LON to BOS flights - www.expedia.com.png

FireShot Capture 204 - LON to EWR flights - www.expedia.com.png

Unless you purchase a Basic Economy ticket, all three major US airlines will allow one free checked bag for an international flight, status or no status.  I am really not sure what the question is anymore.  Don't rely on third party webpages to give you accurate information.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

Unless you purchase a Basic Economy ticket, all three major US airlines will allow one free checked bag for an international flight, status or no status.  I am really not sure what the question is anymore.  Don't rely on third party webpages to give you accurate information.

You are absolutely correct. I even posted a link that lists the baggage allowances for international flights on the different MAJOR airlines. And I can verify that I have never paid luggage fees for international flights arranged through NCL - 1 or 2 bags, and I do NOT have special status with any airline.

4 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

"Cheap" is also subjective. What someone considers cheap might not be cheap to someone else. 

If someone sees a fare that's about as cheap as you can possibly buy a ticket for on that route, but thinks it's expensive, then a perspective adjustment would seem to be needed.

As has been said by quite a few people now, if you don't want to pay a separate baggage fee, then simply pay an inclusive fare.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

If someone sees a fare that's about as cheap as you can possibly buy a ticket for on that route, but thinks it's expensive, then a perspective adjustment would seem to be needed.

As has been said by quite a few people now, if you don't want to pay a separate baggage fee, then simply pay an inclusive fare.

And I don't care how much bad press (justified or not) NCL airfare gets, I'm not about to book a 33 hr flight from London for $300 (no luggage) when NCL will book RT for probably around $600, depending on the itinerary, luggage included. Especially when there is no guarantee that the flight I book has any better chance of arriving on time over the flights NCL chooses!