Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

Hey, alright, we did this cruise in May, Seward to Vancouver.  It was our first NCL and first Alaska.  Really enjoyed it.  NCL "Free at Sea" worked out great for us.  Flew in a couple of days early and ride shared and walked around Anchorage.  Go see the earthquake park, it's very interesting.  A ride share guy gave us a bar / food recommendation of F Street Station.  We sat at the bar by the kitchen area.  Had a great meal and atmosphere.  Lot of locals we talked to also.

Flights back for us were at 2030 from Vancouver to Seattle, and then 2330, I think, to Austin arriving 0620 on a Tuesday.  I couldn't have really gotten better tickets for arrival in Austin any other time.  They had some, but they were early in the morning on Monday, which we could not have made.  

This should be fun!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Lupush said:

Greg, this may have been answered but curious as to your reasoning moving to NCL and other cruise lines?  What were the primary drivers behind your decision?

Price. I was going to go on a Celebration cruise this month but the price doubled between January and March. I do have four Carnival cruises booked next year. Two were booked a year and a half ago when they had a great sale. Then the other two are on Jubilee. When the Celebration cruise price doubled, I went ahead and booked Jubilee for next August while it was still at a reasonable price.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ronkeykong said:

Go see the earthquake park, it's very interesting.  A ride share guy gave us a bar / food recommendation of F Street Station.  We sat at the bar by the kitchen area.  Had a great meal and atmosphere.  Lot of locals we talked to also.

As an Alaska Local...

I will 2nd F Street!!!

Best Calimari in Anchorage & love the Halibut (both meal & sandwich) plus many other menu items...

Very relaxed atmoshphere & if you like cheddar cheese - there's a huge block on the bar to enjoy.

Cheers  --  Von & John

OK - I see now this is really a 3rd for F Street...

Edited by Von & John
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Here are a couple clips from the other night.

Just before this one they released 72 huge beach balls so you can see some of that.

My brother is a huge Metallica fan. He has traveled all over to see them, even to other countries. At Christmas, in addition to the half dozen other trees he puts up, he puts a tree in the basement that’s a Metallica tree. Black tree with all Metallica ornaments. It’s pretty cool.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Von & John said:

& if you like cheddar cheese - there's a huge block on the bar to enjoy.

hold on. A huge block of cheese…on the bar? Like public access cheese? Everyone getting in it? I do like cheese, but I’d have to skip that party.

• Like 4
  • Haha 21

11 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Should I be printing a boarding pass and luggage tag somewhere? I don't see it.

Once you finish checking in on the app (or I think on line..I-always use the app) on the last page your should see download edocs. You can print from there. 

Edited by Mommapadraig
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

@Saint Greg have you heard anything on your upgrade bid?

I haven’t. I’m guessing that means I didn’t win but I think it did say 1-14 days out. Unless I’m thinking Princess. But if that’s the case and they could do it 1 day out I’d have to scramble for new docs in anchorage I guess.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I haven’t. I’m guessing that means I didn’t win but I think it did say 1-14 days out. Unless I’m thinking Princess. But if that’s the case and they could do it 1 day out I’d have to scramble for new docs in anchorage I guess.

My husband and I are also on this sailing.  

Do not give up on the upgrade yet as another reliable travel site still shows a lot of available cabins.   I have a feeling they will upgrade some tomorrow.   

• Like 6

I love the fact that you are branching out, trying other cruise lines.  We know we will get a fair and reasonable comparison and assessment from you.

I, too, have tried other cruise lines, but I still come back to the Whale Tail Club.  There is nothing that says we have to exclusively cruise only one cruise line.  Each cruise line has their own unique set of "standards" and "passenger basis".  I'm sure this is nothing new. 

One thing you can watch for while you are in the great white north - keep your eyes to the skies.  You never know when you may catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights.  Things have been good and active lately - not any means of a guarantee, but as far north as you are, luck seems to find you!  AND sometimes your eye cannot see the Aurora, but if you snap a photo with your phone, and dial in the "black point" on the photo, you may see lots of super cool things. 

THANK YOU for the Metallica clips!  They were here in Boise (non stadium) a couple years back - put on a phenom show!  Rock on, and stay cool! 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, marci4tony said:

One thing you can watch for while you are in the great white north - keep your eyes to the skies.  You never know when you may catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights.  Things have been good and active lately - not any means of a guarantee, but as far north as you are, luck seems to find you!  AND sometimes your eye cannot see the Aurora, but if you snap a photo with your phone, and dial in the "black point" on the photo, you may see lots of super cool things.

I hope so...but the aurora forecast is currently in the pretty dead zone at the moment, hope they are wrong. Plus it's full moon time - but a girl can still hope, I'll be looking! 

• Like 2

I'm here, too - did Alaska a hundred years ago on NCL with a group - we loved it and did a bunch of the things you have planned.  Agree, you should see the Earthquake Park in Anchorage (that was an earlier trip on Carnival where we bussed up to Denali for a few days and took the train back) - the Museum has a wonderful exhibit and is small and easy to tour.  Sled Dogs/Musher Camp was really fun and interesting, rode the sled and held/petted the pups.  You will Love when the dogs are getting picked for the Team - Me! Me! Me!   I've seen pictures of what you order for meals and I'm impressed - think you'll be happy.  O'Sheehans has a great Reuben and is open 24 hours a day.  Also had "Nightly Specials" like BB Ribs sometimes.  La Cucina had Affogato on the Dessert Menu on my TA, all of the alternative dining was good - even great Grilled Hot Dogs in Garden Cafe.  Hot Chocolate and Hot Spiked Drinks - perfect.  Jewel is a good size and easy to get around - Cheers and Cruise On!

• Like 4