Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

Just now, LatinaInTexas said:

All the info/details about getting to and on the the train are so helpful. Will be able to seriously consider this itinerary for next year.

I love the train ride to the ship from Anchorage. I will be considering this in the future.  I also like how @Saint Greg already has checked his bag and received his room key.  I am assuming he can just walk right on the ship once he gets to the port.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

So what’s the deal with the 1 dinner. I see that on my booking receipt but i swear the free at sea included 2. Then I booth that upgrade that was supposed to give me 2 more. I should at least have 3.

The special 2 extra dining pkg upgrade and the FAS+ upgrade pkg aren’t combinedable - when you bought the FAS+ pkg the former pkg is nullified (and monies refunded or brought into the latter). 

Happened to me when I cheekily bought the 2 special first and waited a week before buying the FAS+ upgrade for our 11day transatlantic on Viva in Nov. Didn’t work, so I ended up buying 2 extra at regular price. 

if you need more, you can purchase them on board. But check out the MDR first - they’re often good. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, depplep said:

I noticed you are doing the sled dog excursion. I had wanted to do this but it's not offered on my October cruise for some reason. Looking forward to your photos.

They're usually cancelled by mid Aug due to lack of snow at the lower elevations where 'mush camps' are located.  

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hogladyrider said:

@Saint Greg...sorry to see wet streets and rain in Anchorage today for your travel day.

That train setup looks like it could use some organization for sure!  Let us know how long it was between checkin and you actually get to your seat!

I was in the room at 12:11

bag dropped at 12:15

in line 12:19

got my card 12:48

got my ticket 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

They're usually cancelled by mid Aug due to lack of snow at the lower elevations where 'mush camps' are located.  

Thank you for that information. I don't understand why there would be snow in August but not October??

1 minute ago, depplep said:

Thank you for that information. I don't understand why there would be snow in August but not October??

The winter snow pack has melted by Aug.  And by Oct there isn't enough snow to reestablish a camp, plus not enough tourists to make that effort worthwhile.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

The winter snow pack has melted by Aug.  And by Oct there isn't enough snow to reestablish a camp, plus not enough tourists to make that effort worthwhile.  

Thanks. Bummer though, I had wanted to do that but we picked this cruise specifically because NCL was the only one going the last week in October. And I was hoping to see snow. I haven't seen snow in  18 years. ☹️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

This girl in front of me says go to the table, find your name on the list, and grab an orange tag. Interesting fact. There is another person on this cruise with my name. First and last. Never seen that before. 15 years older. Anyway an NCL guy comes up and says I need your room number.

I grab it off of my luggage tag and he says “oh if you have that all you have to do is put your luggage with the others.

What’s the actual name????

• Haha 7

19 minutes ago, depplep said:

Thanks. Bummer though, I had wanted to do that but we picked this cruise specifically because NCL was the only one going the last week in October. And I was hoping to see snow. I haven't seen snow in  18 years. ☹️

there will be snow to 'see' !! there will be snow in the mountains around Seattle and all along the coastline of British Columbia and Alaska.  Just not enough for dog sledding. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, depplep said:

In the summer months they have musher camp basically on dry land. In the colder months, they likely move it to the snow. 

• Like 1

This whole NCL Dinning thing has got me saying, nope! Not a chance. I want easy for my vacations and not to worry about this and that. Royal and their reservations have me in the same boat. Is it easier than it sounds!?

• Like 6