Restaurants from our youth

lenquixote66

We didnt eat out as a family back in those days. Few "ordinary people" did. I think I would have been about 20 when I went for my first restaurant meal - no doubt, a evening at a Berni Inn (then the UK's largest restaurant chain)

A fine dining establishment? Or just a regular place? We didn't really do fine dining. A nice place for a special occasion maybe, but As for "fine dining", not sure there were even those type of places when and where I grew up. Maybe a good steakhouse, yes. But that was as fancy as I can recall.

Howard Johnson’s was always a treat when we were on the road.  There were many burger shacks where you could get a couple burgers, fries and a shake for less than a dollar!  I remember cheese burgers when they were 15 cents!  Most of the dining establishments back in the 50’s were diners and barrooms and a lot of them were very good.  Urban renewal ruined most of the small restaurants in Boston.  We had at least 5 outstanding delis in Boston and dozens of little Italian and ethnic joints…one better than the next.  Chinatown had at least a dozen outstanding restaurants.  I really miss them all.

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Howard Johnson’s was always a treat when we were on the road.  There were many burger shacks where you could get a couple burgers, fries and a shake for less than a dollar!  I remember cheese burgers when they were 15 cents!  Most of the dining establishments back in the 50’s were diners and barrooms and a lot of them were very good.  Urban renewal ruined most of the small restaurants in Boston.  We had at least 5 outstanding delis in Boston and dozens of little Italian and ethnic joints…one better than the next.  Chinatown had at least a dozen outstanding restaurants.  I really miss them all.

Howard Johnson’s was frequented by my family and I many times.

CGT, we had Howard Johnson's here too. Now, I don't know if this was only in the south but they always had a Fish Fry on Fridays. Fried fish, all you can eat with fries and cole slaw😀 Actually, I still like that food. Back then (in the 60s/70s), it was so cheap and really good too!

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

CGT, we had Howard Johnson's here too. Now, I don't know if this was only in the south but they always had a Fish Fry on Fridays. Fried fish, all you can eat with fries and cole slaw😀 Actually, I still like that food. Back then (in the 60s/70s), it was so cheap and really good too!

Hi Lois, YES…the Friday Night Fish Fry at HoJo’s was nation wide.

Many of the ones I went to in my teens and college years in Green Bay and Milwaukee are sadly no longer there, and I am content with my happy memories. There is a restaurant in Green Bay called Krolls that had a butterflied pork chop sandwich on a butter-toasted roll with pickles I remember being incredibly good, but it has changed on their menu and I doubt is at all the same. Their food is probably still darned good!