First Timer Here - I have a few questions....

IndyKid

Hello everyone. We're currently booked on the Caribbean Princess for the December 10th Eastern Caribbean trip. I have a few questions, apologies if it's redundant.

1. What is the dress code for the main dining room and the specialty restaurants? Are jeans & collared polo shirts acceptable? Or do I need to pack dress pants & shirts?

2. I've read where desirable time slots for the specialty dining and MDR can become hard to get, but it appears I cannot make any arrangements until I make the final payment. Do you think I should pay it now and not wait until next month when the balance is due?

3. As far as on-board entertainment, when will we be able to book shows? There's nothing showing yet, at least when on the app. Or does that not show until we're fully paid as well?

4. On embarkation day, we want to get aboard as early as possible. What time would that be?

5. This is our first time on Princess, we have only done RCCL in the past. Anything different that we should be aware of?

Thanks in Advance,
Bruce

Welcome to Princess.  The corporation is going through some major growing pains.  There are still a few good things that are happening on Princess.

1.  Dress code has smart casual and formal nights.  There are threads and threads with opinions.  Bottom line, it is up to the Assistant Dining Room Manager to decide if he/she will allow you in without a coat and tie.  Many have said that the dress code has been more relaxed.  I don't dress up anymore.  A basic black dress is all I take.

2.  How badly do you want a particular time and date for Specialty Dining?  It can be difficult to get an early dining reservation.  It is also possible to get your money refunded if you change your mind. Some days are more booked than other.  Be sure to take a screen shot and print out your reservation receipt.  

3.  You do not book shows for any of the entertainment venues.  If you purchased the Premier Beverage Package, there will be rows of seats held for you up to 15 to 5 minutes before production shows.  I was recently on the Caribbean.  The 7:30 show was full by 7 PM.  A little easier (not by much) to attend the 9:30 show.  

4. I found boarding in FLL to be a zoo.  Will you have your Medallion in hand?  Queue for security before you are divided up into have and have nots.  Boarding is by. priority/loyalty standings.  Others have said that you can pretty much walk on by 12/12:30.  Doors open around 10:30.  Boarding commences around 11.  The Main Dining Room is open for a nice leisurely lunch.  As long as you get to the MDR by 1:30, you will seated.

5.  I can not speak of differences since I have not been on RCCL at all.  As much as I complain about the changes, I still enjoy the quiet/relaxed atmosphere on a Princess ship.  

What made you decide to try Princess?

• Like 1

jeans & polos will be fine for the main dining room most nights & the specialty dining any night...they might or might not be allowed in the MDR for formal nights (the official policy says no but the actual enforcement varies)...I would take one pair of dress pants & a shirt, possibly a tie, but you can choose (as @cr8tiv1 said there are many threads about dress code & it can get very heated as people have strong feelings on what should happen...in my experience this has been what does happen but I have never cruised the Carribean)

I would go to the dining room & specialty dining when you board & see what they can do for you...if you are late 

I also have no RCCL experience...

Thank You Rick & Jennie!

cr8tiv1, thank you for your reply.

Regarding the MDR, have you ever known anyone to be denied seating due to their dress? I ask this because RCCL also has these nights, but they never enforced it. I saw a guy dressed like a beach bum get seated on a formal night, and I was livid because I had pitched a ***** about having to dress up on vacation.

As far as selecting places & times for dinner, I assume I can't do that until I'm paid in full? BTW, the 2 specialty meals were part of the package, we didn't pay separately for them.

So you don't buy tickets for the shows? Are they all considered complimentary? We do have the Premier Package...

I'm doing as muck of my pre-trip planning using the app, we will have our medallions in-hand when we board. Hopefully it will make a difference at boarding....

21 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

Thank You Rick & Jennie!

Regarding the MDR, have you ever known anyone to be denied seating due to their dress? I ask this because RCCL also has these nights, but they never enforced it. I saw a guy dressed like a beach bum get seated on a formal night, and I was livid because I had pitched a ***** about having to dress up on vacation.

As far as selecting places & times for dinner, I assume I can't do that until I'm paid in full? BTW, the 2 specialty meals were part of the package, we didn't pay separately for them.

So you don't buy tickets for the shows? Are they all considered complimentary? We do have the Premier Package...

I'm doing as muck of my pre-trip planning using the app, we will have our medallions in-hand when we board. Hopefully it will make a difference at boarding....

Just don't wear shorts and a t-shirt to dinner.  Long pants and a collared shirt and you are good.  I tend to wear LS shirt on a formal night or perhaps when go to Specialty Dining (SD).  SD is always Smart Casual.  Smart Casual is fine any night if not wanting more formal.  PCL has gone flexible to welcome those who dress up and those who don't.

All shows and entertainment venues are free and no sign up required.

You are bot supposed to be able to use DineMyWay (DMW) until after final payment as a newbie, but more than one poster here has reported being able to make MDR reservations.  You can always try it out in the App or Web version, but this is flaky software and unpredictable if will work.

Edited by Steelers36

Thank You Steelers36. I plan to bring jeans & a couple pairs of khakis for dinners. I never wear shorts to dinner, even when we're at the resorts in Mexico and it's blazing hot.

As for their app or web-based software I've already learned they're both screwy. I've got my medallion ordered and set up for home delivery before we cruise but I keep getting an error when trying to do my wife's. They claim they are "working" on it...LOL

1. The Smart Casual dress code is acceptable even on formal nights. The “no shorts” rule is sometimes not enforced but can be.  

“Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home. Skirts/dresses, slacks, blouses, and sweaters for women, Pants and collared or dress shirts for men. Pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps or jeans with fraying and/or holes are not welcomed in the dining room. Shoes must be worn.”

2. You can always just turn up at the main dining room. Only you know how important getting a reservation at a specific date and time in a particular specialty restaurant is to you. It wouldn’t be a priority for me.

3. There are no reservations for shows. The app can populate as early as a couple of months ahead of sailing or as late as the day of boarding.

4. Your “travel summary” will show when boarding is for your itinerary. Usually it’s not until at least 10:30. You can find it when you are logged into the website in the same area where you go to print luggage tags.

5. The app and your medallion make it possible to order food or drinks delivered to you anywhere on the ship. Also, all Princess ships have self service laundry which can be very useful on longer trips.

7 hours ago, IndyKid said:

Thank You Rick & Jennie!

I have seen guests turned away in the MDR on formal nights, wearing shorts, several times. Otherwise just slacks and shirt are okay.  I have never seen a requirement for coat and tie.  

6 hours ago, IndyKid said:

Thank You Steelers36. I plan to bring jeans & a couple pairs of khakis for dinners. I never wear shorts to dinner, even when we're at the resorts in Mexico and it's blazing hot.

That will work for any dinner on the ship for either casual for formal nights. There's no need to bring formal clothing any longer. 

Shorts are questionable. Something they'll allow them, especially on Caribbean night in the DR. Most times, nothing is said and you'll be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"So you don't buy tickets for the shows? Are they all considered complimentary? We do have the Premier Package..."

No tickets. All shows are free and walk in. You indicated you have the premier fare. For production shows only there will be a reserved section of seats blocked in the theater. These reserved seats are unblocked maybe 15 to 10 minutes before showtime, so arrive before they are unblocked. All other theater shows do not have any reserved seating. For popular entertainer shows, such as a good comedian or singer, arrive at least 30 minutes early.

10 hours ago, IndyKid said:

All shows are complimentary AND Premier Package holders are guaranteed a seat for production shows as long as they show up 5-15 minutes before the show. Those reserved seats are then released to the everyone else (plus & standard fare pax). The reserved for Premier seats are grouped together normally on the orchestra section and a group on the upper left or right side. Enjoy your perk! 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, skynight said:

For popular entertainer shows, such as a good comedian or singer, arrive at least 30 minutes early.

It's difficult to know which comedians or singers will be good, so we always arrive early to get an aisle seat.

This way we can bail out when the show is bad and not disturb everyone. ☺️

• Haha 2