It pays to keep checking!

Purple Gallinule

On 8/21/2023 at 5:31 PM, BlerkOne said:

Why rebook? If outside of final payment, will Princess not simply reprice the cruise at the lower cost?

I rebooked last year after I had paid the final payment and I got a $700 refund back to my card. This year I called about a 2024 cruise and they rebooked for the lower price and I saved $1600.

• Like 2

Just now, bassmk said:

I rebooked last year after I had paid the final payment and I got a $700 refund back to my card. This year I called about a 2024 cruise and they rebooked for the lower price and I saved $1600.

If I might ask, when you say "rebooked", do you mean rebooked where you got a new booking number or refared where you kept the same booking number (and cabin)?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bassmk said:

After FP….was that a CVP or a TA that handled that refund? TIA

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

After FP….was that a CVP or a TA that handled that refund? TIA

It was a CVP. I didn't use a travel agent, and I didn't even use a CVP to book it, but I made sure to book my next cruise with the CVP who helped me with that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, when you say "rebooked", do you mean rebooked where you got a new booking number or refared where you kept the same booking number (and cabin)?

Sorry! Re-fared! We definitely kept the same booking number. She just went in and worked her magic to give us the different price. Everything remained exactly the same, even my pre-purchased excursions and OBC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bassmk said:

It was a CVP. I didn't use a travel agent, and I didn't even use a CVP to book it, but I made sure to book my next cruise with the CVP who helped me with that.

Yes, I agree.  My CVP can do a refare after FP, but my TA says he can’t.

So, just wondered.  Good for you.

2 minutes ago, bassmk said:

Sorry! Re-fared! We definitely kept the same booking number. She just went in and worked her magic to give us the different price. Everything remained exactly the same, even my pre-purchased excursions and OBC.

Cool. The same has happened with us with regards to having a reduced fare applied to existing booking prior to final payment rather than having to actually cancel and rebook a cruise, as some others have posted. Hope our luck continues. 🤞

6 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

Doing a family cruise in April 2024. Saw a nice price reduction. The problem was if we re-fared we would lose all our OBC. The OBC was more than the reduction. 

That is certainly a consideration. It almost takes a spreadsheet and a math degree to figure out what is really a bargain. We skip the Plus/Premium packages, booking Reserve Collection instead. That is where we want to spend our $$$ since we don't drink or use the specialty dining options.

I noticed a price reduction on a 2024 cruise I had booked on princess.com and emailed one of my alleged Princess planners - I get emails all the time that claim that. No response after days. Crickets.

So I called the main Princess number and went through the robots to indicate I needed help with an existing booking. I am glad I didn't have to sit on hold forever - I could select to have them call me back and after a while, they did. I told them I wanted the better price. They indicated they would have to check as some fares are only for new bookings, and after being on hold off and on, she said she could do it.

So our cruise price (and insurance) was adjusted for a savings of over $400. The airfare and transfers weren't affected. And now I also have $100 OBC because of some promotion they have going on.

That will buy a lot of pizza. We'll still buy a package once on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a little fare reduction on the SUN P for next (2024) October - was $120 + the 8% decrease on insurance for a total of $129.60  took a simple email to our CVP and done with no phone calls and within about an hour.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I got a little fare reduction on the SUN P for next (2024) October - was $120 + the 8% decrease on insurance for a total of $129.60  took a simple email to our CVP and done with no phone calls and within about an hour.

I may have to get one of those. Actually I had one a while ago, but she moved on.

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I noticed a price reduction on a 2024 cruise I had booked on princess.com and emailed one of my alleged Princess planners - I get emails all the time that claim that. No response after days. Crickets.

So I called the main Princess number and went through the robots to indicate I needed help with an existing booking. I am glad I didn't have to sit on hold forever - I could select to have them call me back and after a while, they did. I told them I wanted the better price. They indicated they would have to check as some fares are only for new bookings, and after being on hold off and on, she said she could do it.

So our cruise price (and insurance) was adjusted for a savings of over $400. The airfare and transfers weren't affected. And now I also have $100 OBC because of some promotion they have going on.

That will buy a lot of pizza. We'll still buy a package once on the ship.

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with a CVP. Ours has been great and very responsive.

6 minutes ago, Purple Gallinule said:

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with a CVP. Ours has been great and very responsive.

I really don't have one at the moment. I need to find another one. Generally I prefer just booking myself, but I can see where there are advantages to having one.

I didn't book anything through the one who didn't reply to my email so I don't fault them (much). I just picked a random email from Princess that had a CVP name at the botttom.

I really don't have one at the moment. I need to find another one. Generally I prefer just booking myself, but I can see where there are advantages to having one.

I wish I didn't have one. One contacted me in December of 2018 and "welcomed me" to Princess. He set me up with a new Captain's Circle number and said he was my CVP.  I told him I already had a Captain's Circle number and was already Elite with Princess and asked him to do away with the new member number and to go away and leave me alone. Fast forward to earlier this month when he again contacted and asserted that he was my CVP.

I have never asked for a CVP. I don't want or need a CVP. Why won't this guy take a hint and leave me alone?  He seems eager so, if it was allowed, I would give you his contact info. As it's against the CC rules I will just "will him" to contact you instead. 🥴

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

I didn't book anything through the one who didn't reply to my email so I don't fault them (much). I just picked a random email from Princess that had a CVP name at the botttom.

He’s a stalker!  I would have reported him years ago. Strange.😳

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I wish I didn't have one. One contacted me in December of 2018 and "welcomed me" to Princess. He set me up with a new Captain's Circle number and said he was my CVP.  I told him I already had a Captain's Circle number and was already Elite with Princess and asked him to do away with the new member number and to go away and leave me alone. Fast forward to earlier this month when he again contacted and asserted that he was my CVP.

I have never asked for a CVP. I don't want or need a CVP. Why won't this guy take a hint and leave me alone?  He seems eager so, if it was allowed, I would give you his contact info. As it's against the CC rules I will just "will him" to contact you instead. 🥴

I would hate for you to break the rules, so please don't. 🙃 

10 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

He’s a stalker!  I would have reported him years ago. Strange.😳

Nah. Probably just going through a list of who doesn't have a cruise booked, but now I have 4 on Princess booked without the help of a planner.

Sometimes I have at least that many on hold until they expire.

No doubt someone is collecting the data.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Nah. Probably just going through a list of who doesn't have a cruise booked, but now I have 4 on Princess booked without the help of a planner.

Sometimes I have at least that many on hold until they expire.

No doubt someone is collecting the data.

Actually, I currently have 7 cruises booked...

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I didn't book anything through the one who didn't reply to my email so I don't fault them (much). I just picked a random email from Princess that had a CVP name at the bottom.

If you are going to book directly with Princess, then I would definitely work to get a good CVP you can work well with.  I book with an outside TA, but I can tell from folks who do book directly that they have a FAR better customer service experience (if they have a decent good one) versus dealing with the regular phone reps.

• Like 2

I do know some great TAs, but I really hate giving up control of my booking and I have a special ability to want (vs need) something whenever they are on a cruise or something. I can see value in a princess planner for customer service, but I almost never need anything. I'm really happy just doing what I'm doing. If I ever fire myself, I may revisit this.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I do know some great TAs, but I really hate giving up control of my booking and I have a special ability to want (vs need) something whenever they are on a cruise or something. I can see value in a princess planner for customer service, but I almost never need anything. I'm really happy just doing what I'm doing. If I ever fire myself, I may revisit this.

I understand your want.  But this is one area I am willing to give up just some control in order to gain huge amounts from TA discounting.  For me, I cannot pay full list price when I know I can save hundreds going with a discounting agency.  To echo your statement, I don't need anything from the TA either - other than responsive, accurate service with the booking in addition to the fare discount.

Edited by Steelers36

7 hours ago, Esprit said:

It’s so unfair that us Brits can’t refare after the initial booking.

I’d have more cruises booked way in advance if I could do what you guys can do before FP.😒

Why can't you refare? Did you book with Princess directly or through a TA? I am curious about that.