What are your experiences with "TheKey"?

Valen9

3 hours ago, GimmeOcean said:

The Key is currently 25% off on the Labor Day sale... showing $30.99/day for 7 night on Anthem in Dec. Voom for one plus one device would be $223.93 at the current sale price, The Key for 2 would be $209.93 more than that.

So, are The Key benefits alone worth $209.93 on a 7 night cruise on Anthem from Cape Liberty? Considering it (and would recheck the prices on Black Friday).

We’ve never bought the Key before, but are considering it for a future Odyssey cruise. Seems like it would have the most benefit on this class of ships. 

Labor day sale -- same prices as @GimmeOcean said.  (Anthem 18 Jan for me).  I bought it.  I'm traveling Solo, work requires me to have Voom.  so for $100 I get early embarkation, MDR Lunch day 1, MDR Breakfast departure, leisurely debarkation, good seats, no lines for theater, private flowrider.  Yes, I was waiting for the sale, I knew it would come eventually.  

• Like 1

We have had The Key in the past but it’s been awhile. Do you still get priority boarding ( after the suites, pinnacle) guests or do you just get to enter port easier?  We are sailing out of Port Canaveral.  Thanks

On 8/31/2023 at 7:18 PM, gmerick said:

Labor day sale -- same prices as @GimmeOcean said.  (Anthem 18 Jan for me).  I bought it.  I'm traveling Solo, work requires me to have Voom.  so for $100 I get early embarkation, MDR Lunch day 1, MDR Breakfast departure, leisurely debarkation, good seats, no lines for theater, private flowrider.  Yes, I was waiting for the sale, I knew it would come eventually.  

Can anyone tell me the value of The Key on Freedom as far as seeing comedy shows goes? I have not sailed Freedom Class before.  It's only a 4 night cruise so I doubt we watch the headliner shows.  It's $31/day and Boom is $19/day.  I'm also curious if they have already started the fast line for water slides?

We sail 10/30, have debated getting The Key since we booked in January but still haven't made up our minds.  

On 8/31/2023 at 1:35 PM, GimmeOcean said:

The Key is currently 25% off on the Labor Day sale...

For the upcoming 14-night transatlantic on Symphony of the Seas, they're offering The Key for $49.99/day (not showing up as on sale for this sailing). That price seems unreasonably high (~$700/person).

Edited by Daghis
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 9:01 AM, renysmom said:

We have had The Key in the past but it’s been awhile. Do you still get priority boarding ( after the suites, pinnacle) guests or do you just get to enter port easier?  We are sailing out of Port Canaveral.  Thanks

The sign for Cape Liberty's priority lane lists Pins, Suites, and Keys.  One line, no waiting.  3 years running hotel shuttle left for the port at 10:30, and was in the MDR eating salad at 11:30.  I've had boarding reservations for the early afternoon on each sailing, but that Key thing apparently means "Advance Token to GO!".

Edited by gmerick
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 1:27 PM, Carlos A. said:

What's interesting is the new phrasing used here:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/mex/es/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-the-key-program

"Access to the fast lane at onboard activities (activities vary by ship)and private time at the Flowrider"

Has anyone experienced this? It seems that there's no longer a "private" time for Key guest, now is a "fast lane" anytime.

That will not make the other people in line happy, much like Star class getting to go more often than the others waiting in line.  

It would make me buy the key, just so I didn’t have to wait.  I have bought the key several times, but work was paying for half of it for the internet, next cruise I will be retired not sure how much internet I need…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question about one key benefit, I got the following in the email from RCL as a listed benefit:

Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main Theatre, Aqua Theater, Studio B and Two70, however a reservation is needed so don't forget to book once you're onboard!

We will be on the Enchantment, does this apply also to the Orpheum Theater? Do we need to make reservations onboard?

1 hour ago, dannysporea said:

We will be on the Enchantment, does this apply also to the Orpheum Theater? Do we need to make reservations onboard?

Yes, to the reserved section, no to the ability to make reservations - the reserved section is opened to all about 10-15 min before the show,

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 6:49 PM, xpcdoojk said:

That will not make the other people in line happy, much like Star class getting to go more often than the others waiting in line.  

It would make me buy the key, just so I didn’t have to wait.  I have bought the key several times, but work was paying for half of it for the internet, next cruise I will be retired not sure how much internet I need…

What were the extra times like for the Flowrider? Was it always early morning?  

I broke down and bought The Key again for Adventure next Feb.  I really want to master The Flowrider.  I've got two weeks on Harmony without The Key coming in Dec.  Is there a time over the course of a week when you find the flowrider is less busy?  

So, how many days is your Adventure sailing?  7?  If so, I suspect there will be a single hour, and it will be either at the beginning of the day or the end of the day.  those seem to be the Key times.  Since, I will no longer need the internet for work on my next sailing, probably no more key for me.  They might do two.  If you whine, I have seen them give additional key time, specifically on the Adventure.  Larry Faiss, who went from marginal skill to awesome skill in a year sailing a lot convinced the Adventure staff that we didn’t get enough time as the Key.  On my last sailing on the Anthem during the spring TA, we got 3 sessions, it was cold as heck at all of them, and the wave was wide open.  

Unfortunately, unless you find a Unicorn there are no good times to find an empty FlowRider.  When it is less full it is probably freezing cold (low 50s and raining).  They don’t operate below 50 or when the winds are really strong.

Good to hear from you Dave….  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, how many days is your Adventure sailing?  7?  If so, I suspect there will be a single hour, and it will be either at the beginning of the day or the end of the day.  those seem to be the Key times.  Since, I will no longer need the internet for work on my next sailing, probably no more key for me.  They might do two.  If you whine, I have seen them give additional key time, specifically on the Adventure.  Larry Faiss, who went from marginal skill to awesome skill in a year sailing a lot convinced the Adventure staff that we didn’t get enough time as the Key.  On my last sailing on the Anthem during the spring TA, we got 3 sessions, it was cold as heck at all of them, and the wave was wide open.  

Unfortunately, unless you find a Unicorn there are no good times to find an empty FlowRider.  When it is less full it is probably freezing cold (low 50s and raining).  They don’t operate below 50 or when the winds are really strong.

Good to hear from you Dave….  

Good hear from you too...

It's an 8 day sailing but I suspect that is the same as the 7 day sailing. I'm not a good whiner so I'm not sure that is going work for me.  I'm really wanting to step up my flowrider game.  I'm down almost 40 lbs and my knee is better than it's been in 15 years.

I used to see a small group lesson thing you could buy on the cruise planner.  I don't see that on this or any other I have booked.  If it shows up is it worth the money or would I  be wasting money for very little value?

It's a Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Miami so I'm not expecting  any low 50's

14 minutes ago, hazmat1 said:

Question about the key,  do you get different luggage tags or just the basic tags?

Just the normal ones for embarking but special ones for disembarking.

Plus when you first embark, at the drop-off point for Key hand baggage they’ll tag anything you want delivered to your cabin.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I have been on 4 cruises this year and always get the key.  The priority boarding, disembarking, internet, 1st day lunch, and last day breakfast in main dining are worth it to me. As far as activities, they typically give a key wrist band and only key people are allowed to participate. They also give you good reserved seating for shows if you show up on time. 15 early i think?.. Obviously once you get high enough in crown and anchor, these are moot; or if you book a suite. though junior suites do not get to disembark early. If you will take advantage of these, it may be worth the price to you

On 8/23/2023 at 7:37 AM, Wanna Be Retired said:

My husband has joint issues.  Just taking my carry on bags and having them dropped off and going for a nice lunch really sets the tone for us and has been worth the money, but like Biker said, it has to be within dollar limits.  I looked at some of my cruises and they want $49 a day.  That’s never going to happen.  

I see the value for you in not having to deal with carry ons. However for me, my  back pack is not going to be out of my sight until I put it in my cabin so no value there for me. Last I checked it was around $49/day for my sailing too. To quote you... never going to happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I see the value for you in not having to deal with carry ons. However for me, my  back pack is not going to be out of my sight until I put it in my cabin so no value there for me. Last I checked it was around $49/day for my sailing too. To quote you... never going to happen.

Absolutely agree.  The things that are precious I have in another bag that I can easily carry.  The rest that is too heavy for me to carry it all and hurts him I am willing to pay for IF the price is reasonable!  I will say, the lunch you get when you get on board is nice as well because you are so relaxed and not fighting a crowd.  I’m still not paying $49 a night per person for it.

I was standing in the Key line my last cruise to drop off my carry on bags.  There was an elderly couple struggling with their bags.  It was obvious they did not have the Key.  They said a crew member told them to take their bags to this line and drop them off.  I felt so bad for them.  They were told sorry.  You can’t drop your bags.  You must keep them until they let you in your cabin.  It was their first cruise.

• Like 2

To me, as a solo, it’s a no-brainer. I would be paying for the Internet anyway, and for $10/day more a day - or $70 total for the week - it is worth it to me for the following:

1) Early embarkation. Last time, I was on board by 10:45 a.m., giving me an hour or so to explore the ship before sitting down to…..

2) ….A relaxed sit-down welcome lunch, No fighting the crowds at the Windjammer.

3)….A relaxed disembarkation breakfast, with the ability to skip the lines and walk right off the ship when I choose. 

4) The ability to drop my carry-on off and not have to drag it around for hours until the cabin is ready.

5) The saved seats in the theater, as long as you arrive 15 minutes ahead.

Also, a nice plus at the end is when your luggage is in the small group with Key passengers, making it easier to find.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lynn2629 said:

To me, as a solo, it’s a no-brainer. I would be paying for the Internet anyway, and for $10/day more a day - or $70 total for the week - it is worth it to me for the following:

1) Early embarkation. Last time, I was on board by 10:45 a.m., giving me an hour or so to explore the ship before sitting down to…..

2) ….A relaxed sit-down welcome lunch, No fighting the crowds at the Windjammer.

3)….A relaxed disembarkation breakfast, with the ability to skip the lines and walk right off the ship when I choose. 

4) The ability to drop my carry-on off and not have to drag it around for hours until the cabin is ready.

5) The saved seats in the theater, as long as you arrive 15 minutes ahead.

Also, a nice plus at the end is when your luggage is in the small group with Key passengers, making it easier to find.

I completely agree when traveling solo. On my next Vision cruise, it isn't even $10 a day more than the internet. It's more like $6 or $7. 

• Like 1

I think for solo where you can buy 1, makes more sense for almost everyone.  

That said, the lunch and other stuff are not the reasons for me.  It is always the FlowRider, the key gives you an hour of low attendance FlowRiding, that can be at times you don’t want to be on the FlowRider.  I have actually skipped a key session, because the weather was marginal.  That totally screws the math.  If you are going to buy the internet package and the Key is close to the same price buy the key.  Usually, it is not.  Then don’t buy the key.  If you are a die hard FlowRider and the weather should be good and you want the internet buy the Key.  If the weather could be iffy, and you don’t want the internet.  Get a group from the FlowRider to buy an hour on the wave in the evening or the early morning.  

Yoda

😇

• Like 2

I have purchased The Key for 3 previous cruises and 1 upcoming cruise in December. These are the reasons that I see value in purchasing The Key:

• I travel solo and plan to purchase the Internet. I have been able to reserve The Key for $19.99 on each of my cruises. I only book on the smaller/older ships so that might have something to do with the lower price. FWIW the current price is $28.99 for my December cruise.
  • I don't purchase a drink package and always bring water bottles or soda on board. I enjoy being able to drop these off in the main dining room and have them delivered to my room.
  • I enjoy the Chops lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day. I get to avoid the crowds at the buffet and have a nice leisurely lunch. 
  • The disembarkation breakfast is also one of my favorite things about The Key. I live close to the port and have a friend pick me up. I can enjoy my breakfast and wait until they are on their way to disembark.
  • In my experience, The Key has a special place to pick up your luggage and I have been able to to get into a "express" line at customs that I believe is also open to Pinnacles and Suites. I have never waited more than 10 minutes in line at customs. 
  • Like 1