How do you bring wine onboard?

YoPhilly

For the first time ever, I'm planning to bring a few bottles of wine onboard with me, and I'm wondering how most people transport the bottles.  I plan to buy them at my port of embarkation (Los Angeles).  For those of you who have done this, what do you do with the bottles - wrap them well and put in your luggage, or do you just leave them in the store's bag or box?  I don't have to hide the bottles...just wondering what people do with their wine.  Thanks!

Edited by YoPhilly

3 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

For the first time ever, I'm planning to bring a few bottles of wine onboard with me, and I'm wondering how most people transport the bottles.  I plan to buy them at my port of embarkation (Los Angeles).  For those of have done this, what do you do with the bottles - wrap them well and put in your luggage, or do you just leave them in the store's bag or box?  I don't have to hide the bottles...just wondering what people do with their wine.  Thanks!

I wrap them well with bubble wrap and then some large piece of clothing wrapped around them - never had a problem.  But if you are buying them at the port, you may as well leave them in the store bag.

• Like 2

If you do your homework and find good wine shops in your embark city, buy your wine there and carry it aboard in sturdy lightweight cardboard collapsible wine carriers (available from most wineries). Transport them in flat in your checked luggage then use them for underbed wine storage and for more wine shopping at appropriate ports. Toss them when you cruise is over.

CCAFEB04-9A3C-4E3E-B5A3-8E2FB7A651BC.jpeg

• Like 2

We have never bothered bringing wine. But it seems like wine coozies (sp?) would work well both for protection and keeping them cool, since checking in can be a long hot process. I’ve seen those padded, zip up covers that go over wine bottles. They are a couple of dollars on Amazon I think. 

• Like 1

I would first read the requirements for your specific cruise line, they may have guidelines for how to bring the wine aboard. For instance, Carnival specifies that it must be in the carry on bag. If that is the case I would just put it in the carry on with no special precautions. If you can put it in your checked bag then I would wrap it well in bubble wrap and put it in a bag that won't leak because your checked bag might undergo some rough treatment by the baggage handlers. You would also want to familiarize yourself with your cruise line's corkage fee policy and plan accordingly. Some, such as NCL, charge a corkage fee for every bottle regardless of where it is consumed. Others only charge a corkage fee if you bring your bottle to the dining room. And finally, some lines have a limit on how much you can bring while others don't, something else to keep in mind and verify.

• Like 2

When we embark in homeport SF, we bring 6 to 12 bottles of our own stock in sturdy lightweight collapsible cardboard carriers obtained at wineries. They come in two, four and six bottle sizes (and can be used for onboard storage and wine shopping in appropriate distant ports). For other embark ports with good wine access, we pack the lightweight collapsed boxes in our checked luggage (and toss them at the end of the cruise).

Carrying wine in checked luggage alongside clothing is not a great idea for all the obvious reasons. But, if you really think you need to do it, get a wine packing sleeve from your local wine merchant (see pic).

37555A83-A362-41B1-A419-CFB184DF9F0D.jpeg

0E09B2F4-1A1B-4B90-A506-8370568B8EB7.jpeg

• Like 1

@sparks1093 gave some very good advice about familiarizing yourself with the cruise line's policies.  

Personally, I would prefer not to try to squeeze "a few" bottles into my luggage.  If we are talking about two or three bottles, I would just carry them on using whatever bag the store might provide.  If we are talking about more than that, then I think you are going to need something a little more substantial.  You might be able to find some sort of tote in the store. 

• Like 1

Our local grocery always gives out these 6 bottle wine totes that are reusable. I have way too many and are perfect for carrying onboard. They are similar to these and are easy to pack. I trust these more than the wine shop bags. I think most cruise lines request that you carry onboard as they need to make sure you are of age.

image.png.724cb99a8aedc9af2ade5c05a26476ae.png

• Like 2

We always purchase our wine in stores local to the port and carry them onboard in the same sort of bag as @nolatravelgirl shows above. If there's room in my carry-on, I put them in there, otherwise it's just another bag. I wouldn't put it in checked bags - you never know how things will be treated. 

• Like 1