Thanksgiving Regal Princess Port Change

BohJang

I  just got an email from Princess that our Thanksgiving cruise on the Regal Princess from Galveston has a port change.  Instead of Costa Maya on Thanksgiving Day (my birthday) we are now going to Belize.  I'm so disappointed because I have never been to Costa Maya and was really looking forward to it.  Also, Belize is a tender port and my husband has mobility issues and has trouble with tenders.  Not to mention that I have been to Belize twice and it's my least favorite port.  The port area, in my opinion, is a waste of time.  We have also been on an excursion to the ruins and that was OK but I have no interest in doing that again.  I'm really annoyed that Princess made sure to announce this port change AFTER the paid in full date.  I have only sailed with Princess once about 15 years ago.  I'm really regretting booking this cruise.  I should have just stuck with Carnival. 

Also, I noticed that Princess does not supply wheelchairs except in an emergency. You  have to bring your own.  My husband just uses a cane but recently on both Carnival and Azamara when the crew noticed that he was having a little trouble walking they immediately brought over a wheelchair for him to go up the gangway after a port stop.  Am I to assume this does not happen on Princess?

22 minutes ago, BohJang said:

I  just got an email from Princess that our Thanksgiving cruise on the Regal Princess from Galveston has a port change.  Instead of Costa Maya on Thanksgiving Day (my birthday) we are now going to Belize.  I'm so disappointed because I have never been to Costa Maya and was really looking forward to it.  Also, Belize is a tender port and my husband has mobility issues and has trouble with tenders.  Not to mention that I have been to Belize twice and it's my least favorite port.  The port area, in my opinion, is a waste of time.  We have also been on an excursion to the ruins and that was OK but I have no interest in doing that again.  I'm really annoyed that Princess made sure to announce this port change AFTER the paid in full date.  I have only sailed with Princess once about 15 years ago.  I'm really regretting booking this cruise.  I should have just stuck with Carnival. 

Also, I noticed that Princess does not supply wheelchairs except in an emergency. You  have to bring your own.  My husband just uses a cane but recently on both Carnival and Azamara when the crew noticed that he was having a little trouble walking they immediately brought over a wheelchair for him to go up the gangway after a port stop.  Am I to assume this does not happen on Princess?

Absolutely, if your DH needs a wheelchair when you’re boarding, out on an excursion or for whatever reason, just tell a crew member and they’ll get one for him.  

It’s just that they don’t supply a wheelchair if you’re in need of it for the whole cruise. They want guests to bring their own.  But, I’ve seen many people ask or get one for a short period on PCL.

Not much in Costa Maya. You’re not missing too much. I like PCL a lot better than CCL, but YMMV.

Hope you have a great time!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Absolutely, if your DH needs a wheelchair when you’re boarding, out on an excursion or for whatever reason, just tell a crew member and they’ll get one for him.  

It’s just that they don’t supply a wheelchair if you’re in need of it for the whole cruise. They want guests to bring their own.  But, I’ve seen many people ask or get one for a short period on PCL.

Not much in Costa Maya. You’re not missing too much. I like PCL a lot better than CCL, but YMMV.

Hope you have a great time!

Thank you!  

Costa Maya has a nice port area, but it could get extremely crowded with many ships in port.

Other than that, it's a lovely beach destination, but that's about it. Honestly, Western Caribbean ports can all be exchanged one for another without much loss or regret.

In Belize we did an underground cave river tubing tour and it was terrific. Not through the cruise. Requires regular mobility and ability to carry your tube for about a mile, though.

5 hours ago, BohJang said:

I'm really regretting booking this cruise.  I should have just stuck with Carnival. 

all cruise lines occasionally make changes like this. Princess is by far not the only one. I am sure you won't regret sailing with Princess. We sailed on Regal Princess a couple of times and loved it.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

I have been on a number of cruises with port changes or missed ports. You probably would enjoy yourself staying on board. Relaxing Thanksgiving. If you require assistance boarding or disembarking you can request wheelchair assistance. If you require a wheelchair for getting around on board your really need to bring your own. For information Princess' cabin doorways are 22 inches wide.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't count on a wheel chair except for getting through the terminal for embarkation and for disembarkation.

They may help someone get on and off the gangway but I don't think they will loan one out for long periods unless there is a medical situation that occurs. Can he bring a walker?

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  He doesn't need a wheelchair for long periods at all.  It's just sometimes going up the gangway presents a problem.  He uses a cane and when he gets tired of walking he usually just stops and rests for a few minutes.  I just wanted to make sure if he needed wheelchair help after standing in a long line to get up or down the gangway it would be available.

It's always a guessing game whether the ship will be able to dock in Costa Maya because of the strong winds. We were onboard the Sky Princess February 2023 and were to have 2 stops at Costa Maya over the 3 weeks and we never made it there either time. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barter123 said:

It's always a guessing game whether the ship will be able to dock in Costa Maya because of the strong winds. We were onboard the Sky Princess February 2023 and were to have 2 stops at Costa Maya over the 3 weeks and we never made it there either time. 

I have heard that’s why they nicknamed it “Costa Maybe” 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BohJang said:

Thanks for the responses.  He doesn't need a wheelchair for long periods at all.  It's just sometimes going up the gangway presents a problem.  He uses a cane and when he gets tired of walking he usually just stops and rests for a few minutes.  I just wanted to make sure if he needed wheelchair help after standing in a long line to get up or down the gangway it would be available.

They are usually great at the gangway helping people.

• Like 1

Wheelchairs are provided for boarding and disembarkation.  Be prepared to wait for an available pusher.  You can also request a wheelchair when you return to the port for a ride to the gangway (sometimes in reverse).  

If you purchased Platinum Vacation Protection from Princess, you can cancel you cruise and get all fares back (except for insurance cost) in Future Cruise Credits.  There is an expiration date.