Deluxe beverage package

6 hours ago, BNBR said:

I remember when you didn't have to buy two. It wasn't that long ago. Royal copied Carnival with this policy. I guess it works out overall per the bean counters.

It's only been a year since our last cruise and a lot has changed. Prices sky high on all this stuff now. Unfortunate to see. Cruising was always a good value proposition.  Not sure about that anymore.

The reason they stopped the policy of only one having to purchase is because of the sharing of the package that was going on. 

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It still has to be part of the equation. By the time breakfast is over, I’ve already spent $15-$20 or so on NA beverages. 

I enjoy the fresh squeezed juice available with the package at breakfast and my first stop after breakfast  if the coffee place for my Latte.  That's $10 knocked out before 9am... On a port day I'll grab a couple waters at the bar to take ashore with me and now we are up to $17 and it is still quite early.  When calculating that packages value you have to factor these things in and not just how many cocktails/glasses of wine you are going to order.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, bigque said:

The reason they stopped the policy of only one having to purchase is because of the sharing of the package that was going on. 

You believe everything, don't you?

7 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I suspect you already know this, but it's about stopping people from "sharing" the package.  

They will allow one person in a room to buy the Deluxe Package while the other buys the Refreshment Package.  

Essentially all the cocktails are now $14 + mandatory 18% tax.  

In terms of dollars, the 18% gratuity is a bit of a wash.  You'll either pay 18% on the package OR on individual drinks, but they'll get you.  One way or the other. 

But no one buys the Deluxe Package so they can have water and juice.  

But most do use these the by products of the DBP. Fresh Squeezed OJ is an uncharge, as is the Bottled water, and the Specialty Coffees. To not count them as part of the package is silliness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Actually, if you call into Royal direct, you can buy just one DBP, and the spouse can buy the Refreshment Package. But you do have to call in. 

Which is proof it has nothing to do with "all the sharing"... But this is good info. Appreciate it.

2 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Which is proof it has nothing to do with "all the sharing"... But this is good info. Appreciate it.

I don't even care or worry about why a rule is a rule. I don't set the rules and I don't try to even understand the why behind them .I just either accept them or I don't.  For example, I didn't believe in the segregating of the passengers when they re-opened... so I boycotted and stayed away for a few years and that practice stopped. I encourage you to follow your beliefs. Whatever they are. If you don't like something that Royal is doing or not doing, then put your wallet away until such time that you feel comfortable. 

1 hour ago, bigque said:

What about when you are traveling solo, do you also have to pay for a second drink package (you don't drink!!)? Anne

3 minutes ago, Mark+Anne said:

What about when you are traveling solo, do you also have to pay for a second drink package (you don't drink!!)? Anne

No you only pay for one if you are solo and in a cabin by yourself. 

What about if your wife is pregnant or if your spouse is a recovering alcoholic? I would think that Royal would let one person purchase the drink package and the other purchase at least the refreshment package, like others have suggested. Has anyone actually tried this? 

4 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

What about if your wife is pregnant or if your spouse is a recovering alcoholic? I would think that Royal would let one person purchase the drink package and the other purchase at least the refreshment package, like others have suggested. Has anyone actually tried this? 

Yes, that's what been stated multiple times.  You have to call in but they will let one purchase the deluxe and one purchase the refreshment package.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

You don’t need a reason to have one person purchase the deluxe drink package and the other buy the refreshment package. The only caveat is you have to call to purchase it this way, you can’t do it on the website or thru the app. 

• Like 1

I'm really hoping for a Black Friday sale. On my March Icon cruise, the DBP is about $1,500 all in for the two of us. That's just ridiculous. I really need to get it in the $1,100-1,200 range to consider it.

16 hours ago, Mark+Anne said:

I know this isn't what you asked but just for further clarification for those who it might pertain to... If you are the only adult traveling with children under 21 you can buy the package and not be required to buy anything for the kids in the room and you can do that through the website without calling in.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You don’t need a reason to have one person purchase the deluxe drink package and the other buy the refreshment package. The only caveat is you have to call to purchase it this way, you can’t do it on the website or thru the app. 

I guess you can't get any sale prices doing it this way, since most of those seem to be for a discount on the 2nd package?

Edited by GimmeOcean

4 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

I guess you can't get any sale prices doing it this way, since most of those seem to be for a discount on the 2nd package?

Yes, you still can, because it always shows the per person price, even if it's based on "buy one get one half off" - so they'll look at the current pp price when you call in (and/or bring it to their attention if they're seeing something else but usually they can see what you see).

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Yes, you still can, because it always shows the per person price, even if it's based on "buy one get one half off" - so they'll look at the current pp price when you call in (and/or bring it to their attention if they're seeing something else but usually they can see what you see).

Great, good to know!

4 hours ago, Hutcha said:

I'm really hoping for a Black Friday sale. On my March Icon cruise, the DBP is about $1,500 all in for the two of us. That's just ridiculous. I really need to get it in the $1,100-1,200 range to consider it.

There are no major price discounts for it on black Friday. A few dollars less than some of the better sales on a few sailings but that is about it.

I'm seeing a Labor Day Early Access Sale for DBV for "Buy One Get One Free" for my Wonder April sailing. On home page of my cruise planner it said "Up to 40% off Beverage Packages" but when I price out DBV it's the BOGO offer. I'll probably buy it to be safe since it seems prices are continually increasing.