OBC for extra tips

Islander500

I've had it confirmed by the HR Directory (2 different ships) that if you write the Employee's name and Employee number the tip is directed to the individual.   If you just fill in the category (e.g. Room Attendant or Dining Room) it goes to the pool of the position.   Both director indicated they were certain because they were the one that applied it.

The staff member is notified by Guest Relations when a  tip is left to either the individual or the staff member.    I have had them thank me for the gratuity without prompting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

all our OBC goes to extra spa and the shops

for most, we tip the standard amt and then for individuals  we prefer to give cash in their hand ..it's then their choice if they want to pool it.

in BLU we tip those we have helping us  regularly, the maitrw d  and assistant   and  sometimes group cash for the maitre d to  put in pooled fund..

Sommelier gets grars regukarky so maybe a wee bit extra..

2 hours ago, hcat said:

all our OBC goes to extra spa and the shops

for most, we tip the standard amt and then for individuals  we prefer to give cash in their hand ..it's then their choice if they want to pool it.

in BLU we tip those we have helping us  regularly, the maitrw d  and assistant   and  sometimes group cash for the maitre d to  put in pooled fund..

Sommelier gets grars regukarky so maybe a wee bit extra..

Thanx.  We typically tip in cash as well but have an upcoming cruise in which we have so much OBC, I thought I’d ask how it’s done.  

5 minutes ago, Islander500 said:

Thanx.  We typically tip in cash as well but have an upcoming cruise in which we have so much OBC, I thought I’d ask how it’s done.  

thats good to know..we are using our cred card points to reduce final payment so will be low on OBC!

But all spa, dining and excursions are prepaid..so you never know

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've had it confirmed by the HR Directory (2 different ships) that if you write the Employee's name and Employee number the tip is directed to the individual.  

Thanks for the note.

This got me thinking about how many numbers I have that are tied to me. One thing I don't have is an employee number, because we're too small and backwards for those. 🙂 I can't say that I've ever inquired about any Celebrity employee's number. I can imagine that setting off a bunch of red flags. I only know a few last names. I imagine it's tough for them to figure out who is "Barry from the OVC", but not impossible.

16 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for the note.

This got me thinking about how many numbers I have that are tied to me. One thing I don't have is an employee number, because we're too small and backwards for those. 🙂 I can't say that I've ever inquired about any Celebrity employee's number. I can imagine that setting off a bunch of red flags. I only know a few last names. I imagine it's tough for them to figure out who is "Barry from the OVC", but not impossible.

I was told they could do it without an employee number but the Retreat Host volunteered to look up the employee number to make sure the correct employee received the gratuity. 

Sometimes it can be difficult.  We had a waiter in Luminae that had been promoted from the MDR on the 1st segment of a B3B.   ON the second cruise he was back in MDR because of shortages but on the 3rd he was back in Luminae.    His name had changed -  initially his name was his Last Name but on his new tag for the 3rd it had changed to his  First Name -  He indicated it could be common for Indonesian's.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2023 at 5:41 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I've had it confirmed by the HR Directory (2 different ships) that if you write the Employee's name and Employee number the tip is directed to the individual.   If you just fill in the category (e.g. Room Attendant or Dining Room) it goes to the pool of the position.   Both director indicated they were certain because they were the one that applied it.

The staff member is notified by Guest Relations when a  tip is left to either the individual or the staff member.    I have had them thank me for the gratuity without prompting.

That’s good to know. Guest Relations told us differently, that only the butler could be tipped individually. But I trust your feedback more than theirs🙂

27 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

That’s good to know. Guest Relations told us differently, that only the butler could be tipped individually. But I trust your feedback more than theirs🙂

I had been told the same from Guest Relations - but sitting next to the HR Director at a Zenith Lunch I asked her and she is the one that told me she was the one that applied it to their payroll account.

I was getting and still get mixed information about cash tips to a waiter in Luminae.   On a recent cruise we were especially close with our Waiter and Asst Waiter.   When I asked he said that if you tell me it is for me only I put it in this pocket pointing to his right pocket otherwise I put it in the left pocket to be pooled.     Right or wrong when I want to give a tip to an individual I want it to go to them and not share.   I also give a tip to the dining room via the Maitre'D with instruction for it to go to the pool.