Port to port vs Door to door??

fraj1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:44 AM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I have attached a flyer that shows all the fare options, inclusions and payment/cancellation terms.

I understand that there is a revised version of this flyer, with page 3 corrected to reflect the same (better) terms as page 2.  Can you post it?

This is a very good change, with more flexibility. However, it seems like Essential prices are now similar to what used to be P2P, but exclude excursions. So in terms of inclusions, Essential is similar to SB, but with prices at least 10-15% higher.

For example, European cruises now start at $550-600 per night, with no excursions. SB has many sailings around $500 or less. 

6 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I asked this on the Tipping question but if you go with the Essentials fare, can you buy excursions if available, transfers and a pre-cruise hotel?

That will be a major part of the change, the ability for SS to hopefully sell more shore excursions. You will certainly be able to buy excursions, transfers and hotels.  But why buy accommodation through SS when you can probably purchase at a lower price elsewhere?  Transfer will still not be included.

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

This is a very good change, with more flexibility. However, it seems like Essential prices are now similar to what used to be P2P, but exclude excursions. So in terms of inclusions, Essential is similar to SB, but with prices at least 10-15% higher.

For example, European cruises now start at $550-600 per night, with no excursions. SB has many sailings around $500 or less. 

I think all Silversea prices went up overnight.  I had checked my two booked cruises yesterday to see what the old P2P fares would be [both althready higher than when I booked those cruises, so that downgrading from my D2D-no air rates was no bargain] – and today all three levels of booking are higher.  I think Silversea is using this as a reset to take account of the much higher airfares and excursion costs.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think all Silversea prices went up overnight.  I had checked my two booked cruises yesterday to see what the old P2P fares would be [both althready higher than when I booked those cruises, so that downgrading from my D2D-no air rates was no bargain] – and today all three levels of booking are higher.  I think Silversea is using this as a reset to take account of the much higher airfares and excursion costs.

Probably, but Essential fare excludes air and excursions, and looks like it's still priced higher than previous P2P.

Anyway, the competition will take care of the pricing. We book based on itinerary and pricing. If SS inclusions are similar to SB with Essential fare, but prices are significantly higher, personally I won't book SS anymore unless there is another promotion.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Wow…true dat!  Just checked the cruises I have in the pipeline and they have increased - the P2P that I just booked about 3 weeks ago went up 32%.

• Like 2

We booked a cruise for December 2025 just 1 week ago. The P to P fare is nearly $A6000 dearer than our D to D fare minus air.

I really am starting to believe we have booked our last SS cruise.

This in the explanation of the D to d fare means that is definitely out of the question for us.

"Our industry-leading Door-to-Door All-Inclusive fare available on all voyages; air must be purchased through Silversea as an air credit is no longer available on this fare type."

• Like 1

Yes, I just signed up for a solo cruise this fall, but was also looking at one in 2025 and one in 2026. Both have gone up by 2-3000 for PTP (plus the 25% solo premium). I'm now wishing I had locked in those, but I really was reluctant to commit. I'm not sure prices will come down given inflation. 

58 minutes ago, drron29 said:

We booked a cruise for December 2025 just 1 week ago. The P to P fare is nearly $A6000 dearer than our D to D fare minus air.

This in the explanation of the D to d fare means that is definitely out of the question for us.

"Our industry-leading Door-to-Door All-Inclusive fare available on all voyages; air must be purchased through Silversea as an air credit is no longer available on this fare type."

Well, that’s interesting. Is that a quote from the AU site?  I found this on the US site which implies the air portion can be dropped:

INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS

The air promotion is only available for the first and second full-fare paying guests. Guests could also choose to upgrade to roundtrip business class paying an additional cost.

In case the booking includes more than two guests, they will need to purchase roundtrip economy class airfare.

Airline baggage fees are not included.

In the event neither Business Class nor Economy Class air is available (determined at Silversea’s sole discretion) or for guests not utilizing the promotional air offer, a non-use Air credit may be applied.

Silversea reserves the right to modify the Silversea Air Programme procedures and fees at any time without notice.

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I understand that there is a revised version of this flyer, with page 3 corrected to reflect the same (better) terms as page 2.  Can you post it?

I have not received an updated version, but if I do I will post it. 

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

It's mostly just a change in terminology.  Door-to-Door still means what it always did.  The middle grade that was called "Door-to-Door Without Air" is now called "Port-to-Port."  The old Port-to-Port has changed the most, becoming "Essentials" and losing shore excursions [without getting any cheaper].

But yes, at today's prices I think I have booked my last Silversea cruise too.  So glad I have two more booked at the low prices of the past!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, drron29 said:

Our next booked cruise, booked 3 months ago, Cairns to Auckland 32 days on Nova in Nov-Dec 2024 has gone up $1000 per pax on D2D in a superior veranda. Without flights the newly named P2P has around the same increase. This looks pretty normal to me but maybe ours is not as popular as yours.

Edited by turtlemichael

25 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It's mostly just a change in terminology.  Door-to-Door still means what it always did.  The middle grade that was called "Door-to-Door Without Air" is now called "Port-to-Port."  The old Port-to-Port has changed the most, becoming "Essentials" and losing shore excursions [without getting any cheaper].

But yes, at today's prices I think I have booked my last Silversea cruise too.  So glad I have two more booked at the low prices of the past!

I would be reasonably confident that, if Silversea prices are out of line with the competition, the market will react to this. Unless they have some other agenda, Silversea will be forced to act too.

My Understanding of the Non D to D Pricing has always been that Venetian discounts cannot be applied and therefore those of us with myriad Days cannot benefit from our Loyalty. This makes comparisons with other Lines much more relevant as SS now seem to be constantly increasing Prices. Also the D to D Excursions are becoming less and less attractive ( a number of Included Excursions for a Cruise in Europe in 2023 are now moved to Purchase Excursions for an identical Cruise in 2024 ).

I wonder how long the Venetian Society will continue ?

• Like 1

Aha! If there ever was a question for Barbara Muckerman, well, this is it.

How about “what is the value attached to the Venetian Society now that membership is, practically speaking, becoming more expensive?”

That is a straightforward question and belies the truth and trust passengers have placed in the Silversea brand for a very long time.

Another, somewhat related question, is “what are you planning to deliver in terms of a more visible quality entertainment element- as in port sail away parties with singing and a live band?” Those events create memories, literally so, in my opinion. And Silversea’s pedigree is Italian and their joyous music is fabulous, joyous and beloved.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

Venetian Society benefits are applicable with Door to Door and also now combinable with the newly 'enhanced' Port to Port according to the email just received from Silversea.   I take that to mean Venetian Society discounts, whether that be 5% or 10%.    I am sure someone who knows more than I will chime in.image.thumb.png.cc0250a40bbe5b675d78596dab61fc7a.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goldengatecruisers said:

Venetian Society benefits are applicable with Door to Door and also now combinable with the newly 'enhanced' Port to Port according to the email just received from Silversea.   I take that to mean Venetian Society discounts, whether that be 5% or 10%.    I am sure someone who knows more than I will chime in.image.thumb.png.cc0250a40bbe5b675d78596dab61fc7a.png

Where is this page on the website?  I still see on the site that airfare can be dropped for a refund.

Gourmet Gal, I took a screen shot from the email Silversea sent out to guests earlier today.  If you received such an email you can see what I captured in the screen shot.   I don't see it on the website but to be honest, I have not delved deep enough most likely.   From the email its states Port to Port is now combinable with Venetian Society benefits, whereas previously I don't believe the port to port fares qualified for the discounts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goldengatecruisers said:

Gourmet Gal, I took a screen shot from the email Silversea sent out to guests earlier today.  If you received such an email you can see what I captured in the screen shot.   I don't see it on the website but to be honest, I have not delved deep enough most likely.   From the email its states Port to Port is now combinable with Venetian Society benefits, whereas previously I don't believe the port to port fares qualified for the discounts.

If this is the case, then there is no point to take D2D with air credit, even if this is possible. From what I see, the price difference between D2D and P2P is always more than the cost of economy air, and since P2P now has the same cancellation policy, and also qualifies to Venetian society, what's the point to take D2D if you want to book your own flights?

• Like 2

ak1004 - moving forward I don't think that is even possible.  Door to door is with flights, port to port is without flights, essential is well, the bare essentials.  

Door to door with an air credit is, as I understand it, a thing of the past.  We now only have these new three categories.  It was described very well by Jazzbeau in post #81

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goldengatecruisers said:

ak1004 - moving forward I don't think that is even possible.  Door to door is with flights, port to port is without flights, essential is well, the bare essentials.  

Door to door with an air credit is, as I understand it, a thing of the past.  We now only have these new three categories.  It was described very well by Jazzbeau in post #81

I think you are right - just tried to do a booking online and there is no option to take air credit, only upgrade to business class.

• Like 2

I received an email announcing just the new Essential fare and any links just go to the website which does not mention air other than to state that it’s included on D2D.  Perhaps there’s another email coming.  Anyway, I never fly economy so sometimes the included air plus the upgrade can be more economical - I always check the fares before deciding.  But this hard line creates a problem for when you’re not happy with the routing or airline.  You’ll no longer be able to drop the air after seeing the SS options. That makes D2D a risky choice.

• Like 2