Port to port vs Door to door??

fraj1

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Thanks!  How do you get PDFs to work on Cruise Critic?  Every time I try, I can see it but no one else can.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks!  How do you get PDFs to work on Cruise Critic?  Every time I try, I can see it but no one else can.

all I do is save it to my documents folder than attach it as file by clicking on “choose files” and uploading before saving my post

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

I have been sailing with Silversea for 28 years and was aghast at the new prices. In the past apart from air and transfers included on door to door, there did not seem such a large price difference from port to port. Important as I pay 50% for single occupancy. Now the very high door to door makes it untenable and on some cruises single occupancy is 75%, even in March 2025. Not to mention cutbacks over the last few years.  If you look at the 2025 excursions, you will see that most of the “included” excursions are a walk through whichever town you are in and a scenic bus tour. The lengthier excursions are “selected”. Even this year, I am repeating a September cruise in Northern Europe, as I so enjoyed it last year. Mont St. Michel was an included excursion last year, now it is “selected”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

i am door to door  Barcelona to Rome 

SS did book me on Brussels Airlines in business , an airline I am trying to avoid  as much as possible - one of the worsest business in Europe 

i prefer to fly over Munich or Zurich .  

My flight to Barcelona is too late  , arriving later as the embarkation time and collecting luggage is extremely slow  in that airport  so on the ship at 4,30pm ???

My flight Rome to Brussels is also very late 5,15 pm and i do have to leave the ship around 9 am

still not knowing what SS is intending to do, I say NO to a farewell excursion by coach - ( probably with a guide talking all the time  about the olives and artichoke plants  )

so will book a dayroom at the airport and private transfer on my own expenses

I can't believe how unrealistic SS has become with this new pricing. We are looking at 2 different cruises in the Caribbean in Jan 2025. One is a 10 day cruise on the Moon and the other is an 11 day cruise on the Moon. Before this new stuff the 10 day in a Silver suite was $20,400 and the 11 day was $21,400 doing PtP. Now the 10 day is $21,400, but the 11 day is $50,100 doing PtP. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Do they really think any sane person would fall for that? We may just fold up our tent and go elsewhere to cruise. RCL is doing a good job of ruining SS as a luxury line.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

15 hours ago, southerngoose said:

At least they ran spell check this go around.

My question is how did those red Xs that removed butler service, beverages, etc. end up on an early draft of this flyer in the first place?  Were they originally seriously considering making those changes? 

22 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

My question is how did those red Xs that removed butler service, beverages, etc. end up on an early draft of this flyer in the first place?  Were they originally seriously considering making those changes? 

Often, it's not a conspiracy, just stupidity!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, wren2 said:

I have been sailing with Silversea for 28 years and was aghast at the new prices. In the past apart from air and transfers included on door to door, there did not seem such a large price difference from port to port. Important as I pay 50% for single occupancy. Now the very high door to door makes it untenable and on some cruises single occupancy is 75%, even in March 2025...

I know these two cruise lines are very different, but FYI Ponant just sent out an email advertising their 152 cruise sailings with no single supplement:

https://us.ponant.com/cruises?pred-facet-offers[]=SUPP_SINGLE&sortingCode=Date+de+départ&hide=1&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_fid_solo_b2c_en_03_24&M_BT=1589506166529

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I know these two cruise lines are very different, but FYI Ponant just sent out an email advertising their 152 cruise sailings with no single supplement:

https://us.ponant.com/cruises?pred-facet-offers[]=SUPP_SINGLE&sortingCode=Date+de+départ&hide=1&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_fid_solo_b2c_en_03_24&M_BT=1589506166529

Wow!

I'm not sure how much this helps, but we live in a non-hub, secondary market U.S. city which makes air travel challenging at best. Top that off with me being fairly particular about flights and wanting to get things locked down well in advance and I absolutely wanted to handle flight arrangements myself. Port to port was the only option for us - cost was not the deciding factor.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Unless a particular ship has single-occupancy cabins (and I'm pretty sure Silversea doesn't) then a cabin sold as a single doesn't yield as much revenue as one sold as a double. So single cabins will be sold with a modest supplement only if the cruise operator is sure it can't be sold any other way. Yeah, sometimes it sucks to be single.

And the astonishingly priced cabin mentioned above....usually that sort of thing is either a mistake or indicates that that cabin is not really available. I don't see any reason to take it personally. ALL of us need to look at price and product and make our decision, whether Silversea, someone else, or just staying home.

Unless you are really so prosperous that price doesn't matter at all. But then most of those people don't cruise commercial.

Edited by pavementends
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As for pricing going up—like almost everything except pay—I can't help but think things will settle down in another year or two. We will likely stay land-based in the USA in 2025... maybe 2026, and see what happens. We have had some of our best trips right here in the USA. As much as I would like to see more parts of the world, I am not willing to sacrifice to make it happen. 

2 hours ago, AandASailAway said:

As for pricing going up—like almost everything except pay—I can't help but think things will settle down in another year or two. We will likely stay land-based in the USA in 2025... maybe 2026, and see what happens. We have had some of our best trips right here in the USA. As much as I would like to see more parts of the world, I am not willing to sacrifice to make it happen. 

Not all lines increase prices at the same pace. SB and O are still very reasonably priced and are much better value for money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AandASailAway said:

You are very fortunate when a "home" vacation can offer so much geographical variety. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Getting back on OP topic... 

There seems to be conflicting advice on the Fare Guarantee program for the 2 new fare categories. On the spreadsheet FG is included in both D2D & PTP but elsewhere on the website it states FG is not included with P2P.  Is this just sloppy, and anyone know the definitive please ? 

Edited by RetiredOnVacation
Missed a word!

47 minutes ago, RetiredOnVacation said:

Getting back on OP topic... 

There seems to be conflicting advice on the Fare Guarantee program for the 2 new fare categories. On the spreadsheet FG is included in both D2D & PTP but elsewhere on the website it states FG is not included with P2P.  Is this just sloppy, and anyone know the definitive please ? 

Confusion from the re-use of the term P2P?  It wasn't included in the old P2P.  It should be included in the new P2P because that's really just D2D w/o air.