Port to port vs Door to door??

fraj1

Looking at booking our first Silversea cruise and would welcome users views on the relative merits/ disadvantages of port to port vs door to door and whether there are certain factors that make one better than the other in some situations? 

any advice appreciated…..many thanks 

Much depends upon the air fare.  Sometimes it works in $ terms, sometimes it doesn't.  As an example, we're one way DEN > LIS in a couple of months, and at that time, I couldn't beat SS's business class upgrade pricing anywhere.  While they're charging a bit more for the pre-cruise hotel (and not much, at that), the air difference far more than pays for it.  Then again, we booked a while back, and the add-on for the business air for the same cruise is higher now, but so are market prices, so it would still be a good bit less than buying tickets from any of the airlines.

You need to look at their price for D-D or P-P, consider the flexibility offered by handling your own reservations if that's important to you, and then do the math to see if it makes sense for you to go with SS or roll your own. 

Also consider how you prefer to get to/from home.  If you normally hire a car service for your transportation, you can incorporate that into your calculations as well.  We're right at the edge of Blacklane's mileage limit, and our usual car service would run us about another $150 each way, so I can subtract another $300 in my calculations.

• Like 2

For me I would go port to port as you have full control of flights and and any pre/post cruise hotels. Also if you do your sums you may find that it is considerably cheaper - I have save around £3k per person by doing a port to port as opposed to door to door.

The one downside is that if there is a problem with the flight then there could be a knock on effect but you can build in contingency.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pavementends said:

If P-P is offered it is usually a fair bit cheaper than D-D without air. My impression is that P-P is offered on itineraries that are not in high demand.

P-P has less liberal cancellation policies.

P-P also offers a prepayment discount.  When I switched from D-D without air to P-P prepaid I saved enough to pay for the trip insurance [which I was going to buy anyway!]

• Like 1

D2D has much better cancellation policies. But watch airfare prices.  I was able to get business class air for almost $1000 cheaper than Silversea offered coach.  However they are really pushing D2D with special offers.

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

At one time Silversea was not giving days sailed as credit toward Venetian perks ( laundry and cruises) for the port to port sailings. Has that changed?

From what I understand, only the 5% on board new booking discount didn’t apply to to P2P fares.  Venetians still received their free laundry whilst sailing, if they had met the 100 day requirement, plus days sailed on a P2P fare still counted to one’s overall tally.

• Like 1

I am somewhat new to Silversea but it seems to me Door to Door is available with or without flights and all cabin categories are able to be booked. Some sailings have a Port to Port option at a lower price with limited cabin availability and the deposit is not fully refundable. Also I have seen P2P prepaid at an even lower price but totally non refundable. I think that the P2P sailing are shown for sailings that are not booking well.

For us it all depends on the business air prices on DD vs doing ourselves. For our Med cruise this year, we saved at least $10,000 by doing D2D and business class upgrade for 4 people.  For our Iceland cruise next year, I did the P2P prepaid as flights aren’t pricey to Iceland from NY

Just returned yesterday from 2 weeks on the Dawn in Norway.  I would strongly recommend door to door service, unless you have air miles to burn (and even then you can still book d to d without the air).  First time we booked door to door and it worked great.  Significant airfare savings on the Business Class upgrade.  Kudos to Silversea Air.  Flights were great choices, I could not have chosen better myself.  Even got to waitlist on a 2 hour earlier flight from ORD home and got the seats and first class to boot.   (I will give all the credit to United for the last bit).  Hotel was awesome and all transfers handled with class.  Voyage was flawless,  Silver Dawn spectacular, food amazing, SALT bar our evening hangout.  Weather perfect for 10 of the 12 days and even the other 2 were just a bit misty.  Life is good, glad to be home.

Edited by Luv2Cruise1016
add info
  • Like 2

Thanks all for really helpful comments - will carry on with research and let you know what I go with - am in the UK and live more than 50 miles from the airport so included transfer probably not attractive to us as the one way fare shown on the website calculator was the same price as the return fare with the taxi we currently use. If opt for D2D see we might be able to claim refund if transfer not used. Need to check out all the prices but if P2P much cheaper we have the flexibility to travel a day earlier and do an overnight stay just to make sure we are in place for the cruise. Also have flexibility at the other end too.
thanks again! 

• Like 1

@fraj1 be aware that there are significant differences between how d2d works in the US to how it works in the UK.

1 hour ago, fraj1 said:

we have the flexibility to travel a day earlier and do an overnight stay just to make sure we are in place for the cruise.

You also have the flexibility to have a couple, or more, days pre cruise to take the stress out of travelling.

• Like 1

I was about to post the same question.  The difference between P2P and D2D for the cruise we are looking at (also our first Silversea cruise) is only $1,050.  I haven't phoned to find out the cost for Business Class yet (which based on the distance we would be flying, would be a must).

One additional question I have is can you fly in a few days before to spend extra time before boarding? 

13 minutes ago, ilv4cruising said:

One additional question I have is can you fly in a few days before to spend extra time before boarding? 

Yes. SS seems to be able to manage up to 3 days ahead without issues.  More than that and you'll need to book additional hotel nights ahead yourself.

If you book your hotel with SS (up to three nights before your cruise), they will include the transfer from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the ship.  Also, SS usually includes breakfast in their hotel package.

9 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

If you book your hotel with SS (up to three nights before your cruise), they will include the transfer from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the ship.  Also, SS usually includes breakfast in their hotel package.

Does Silversea charge double for their hotels [compared to booking on the hotel website], like most cruise lines I have researched?

In general, I find that SS's price is more than booking yourself, but it does include the breakfast and transfers.  I don't try to break it down by element, though I admire those who can.  The hotels they choose are, at least in first world ports, reliable and secure, and often in a good location for touring.  If it's my first time in a new city, I trust Silversea's choice.  On my second visit, I may choose a different hotel and DIY.

Edited by dawntrdr

In most countries that I visit, I have no issues of getting myself to a hotel from the airport, or vice versa. I generally prefer to do it by public transport. In locations where I am less comfortable (South Africa, Kenya, Hanoi, and Yangon) I arrange transportation with the hotel I am staying at. I don't generally need hand holding. (I did however take a taxi from my hotel near Dam Square in Amsterdam to the train station to catch the train to the airport when I was maneuvering with one arm in a sling.)

For next year's cruise from Oslo to Copenhagen, I have hotels booked in both cities, in locations that I believe are walkable to where I believe that Silver Dawn will be docked. And I will take public transit from Oslo airport to the Central Station (and walk to the hotel) and, in Copenhagen, walk from my hotel to the nearest metro station to take the metro to the airport.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Does Silversea charge double for their hotels [compared to booking on the hotel website], like most cruise lines I have researched?

Generally speaking, yes, but not necessarily double.  I've seen everything from 38% to in excess of 100%.  In several instances that I'm aware of, one could buy loyalty points directly from the hotel chain and stay much cheaper than what SS charges, even when including transfers. 

If I don't use points, then I prefer using a TA who provides early check-in (noon when available), guaranteed late checkout (4:00p), breakfast, room upgrade, and usually some sort of amenity typically valued around $100USD (such as F&B or spa, etc.).  I've even had luck in garnering free private transfers when the hotel has their own car in house.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, david63 said:

@fraj1 be aware that there are significant differences between how d2d works in the US to how it works in the UK.

You also have the flexibility to have a couple, or more, days pre cruise to take the stress out of travelling.

Interesting! Any pointers on how different D2D is in the UK to US? Thanks! 

My apologies if this has been discussed but it appears to me that the payment penalty for PTP vs DTD is more than the initial 15% as you get closer to the sailing date.  For example within 90 - 61 days the PTP penalty is 75% vs DTD 50%.  I've attached SS terms.  If we went with PTP we would probably purchase cancel for any reason travel insurance and the extra cost of the insurance negates some off the price benefit.  With the credits DTD has made more sense for us so far.

https://www.silversea.com/terms-and-conditions.html

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

My apologies if this has been discussed but it appears to me that the payment penalty for PTP vs DTD is more than the initial 15% as you get closer to the sailing date.  For example within 90 - 61 days the PTP penalty is 75% vs DTD 50%.  I've attached SS terms.  If we went with PTP we would probably purchase cancel for any reason travel insurance and the extra cost of the insurance negates some off the price benefit.  With the credits DTD has made more sense for us so far.

https://www.silversea.com/terms-and-conditions.html

CFAR insurance doesn't pay 100% – policies I've seen only pay 75% so you're still left with a big hole.  But you can get a good Allianz policy through the Silversea website for 10% of the fare that covers all the usual reasons you would need to cancel (just not changing your mind).

• Thanks 1