St Kitts Railway Excursion

Camille43081

We did the St. Kitts scenic railway through Celebrity early in the restart. It was terrific and fun. A great way to see beautiful parts of the island and learn some history.  Live narration, local dancers, and included “adult“ beverages. 

We took the tour on our cruise last March. It was ok. It is, as expected, a noisy and bouncy ride. Trying to stand and take some pictures is going to be a challenge and you may end up on someone's lap. Our tour was crowded. Pick the side you sit on carefully. Trying to turn around on the seats, especially when packed is difficult. Facing the engine, sitting on the left side gets you better scenic shots and views. Right side gets you less picturesque views. Would we go again? Probably not, unless we knew it was not crowded and no way to know that until you get there.  

21 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

I’ve read that sitting on the top level is the only good option, but that the staircase is a challenge for anyone with mobility issues. True?

Depending on mobility issues. Yes. Once on top it’s pretty much sit down as the train has a lot of movement. Rest room on board but not easy getting up and walking to it.

• Thanks 1

Just a hint:  there are small buses that take you to the train.  One bus for each car of the train.  I’m a bit slow, so was in the last bus, which got me in the last car.  Best views from the rear of the train!  It was not crowded at all when I went, but that was more than 10 years ago.  My tour did the bus part first, with the train bringing us back to town.  EM

7 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Just a hint:  there are small buses that take you to the train.  One bus for each car of the train.  I’m a bit slow, so was in the last bus, which got me in the last car.  Best views from the rear of the train!  It was not crowded at all when I went, but that was more than 10 years ago.  My tour did the bus part first, with the train bringing us back to town.  EM

Yes! I was lucky enough to get a seat at the very back. The train wasn't crowded, so I got lots of good pictures. 

We took this excursion last March and loved it. We sat on the first floor as the stairs did look difficult (recent ankle surgery). The stairs were narrow and winding and I don't recall if there was one or two rails. We loved where we sat. We had a table facing each other, and could look out our big window quite easily.  The views were spectacular and the countryside gorgeous. Whenever we passed people, from young to old,  they would stop and wave at us. But it was mostly countryside viewing with the ocean beyond. During the trip, drinks were served and we were entertained briefly by traditional dancers, it was so fun. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 2:59 PM, UMTerp said:

Can the train be booked on your own (not going through the cruise line)?  Thanks!

I believe not, according to what I read when we did it a few years ago. The excursion involves a van at the beginning or end, and seats are limited at both.  I can't imagine doing it as a walkup.

11 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I believe not, according to what I read when we did it a few years ago. The excursion involves a van at the beginning or end, and seats are limited at both.  I can't imagine doing it as a walkup.

We have booked independently ( not a walk up) a few days ago using Viator.