Labor Day Upgrade Sale

FetaCheese

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I wasn’t clear with this question. Moving forward, will O allow you to change a booking one time on bookings post Sept 1, without penalty? 

If you have a TA I would ask them   or if that fails  ask Oceania  & hope for the best

I do not think  today many know  what the rules will be  tomorrow  let alone Oceania

JMO

the sale is from today till sept 30 and applies to sailings from 10/1/23 to 10/31/24

4 cat upgrade and some are including gratuities, depending on the consortium....

just called the agency we deal with and see how and if we can apply this to any of our sailings...

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 1:50 PM, 1985rz1 said:

Yes, and no.  It's a subtle difference, but the online fares may be considered correct in the sense they are the "normal," non-sale price, and O wants the client to call either O or the TA to find out the sale price.

This is one of the aspects of sailing with Oceania that I like least. The whole "secret" or "hidden" prices concept rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like to call my TA or Oceania unless I am pretty much ready to book. I like to have all the info and mull it over before getting to that point, and that includes having the accurate price.

Why the clubby attitude, Oceania? I feel like soon you're going to make me save up Cereal box tops to get my decoder ring in order to get accurate pricing info.

I imagine there is some algorithm somewhere that shows people who have to engage with their TA or cruiseline are more likely to ultimately book, having been nudged and noodled into it. I just don't like the feeling of being managed like that.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is one of the aspects of sailing with Oceania that I like least. The whole "secret" or "hidden" prices concept rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like to call my TA or Oceania unless I am pretty much ready to book. I like to have all the info and mull it over before getting to that point, and that includes having the accurate price.

Why the clubby attitude, Oceania? I feel like soon you're going to make me save up Cereal box tops to get my decoder ring in order to get accurate pricing info.

I imagine there is some algorithm somewhere that shows people who have to engage with their TA or cruiseline are more likely to ultimately book, having been nudged and noodled into it. I just don't like the feeling of being managed like that.

@cruisemom42 I hear what you are saying.  I also understand what you are saying.  I also wish it was different.  However, I was THRILLED when I called my agent and asked if I would qualify for a second promotion and I did.  My rub was not with Oceania, it was why did my travel agent know this information and pass it on to me.  The answer in my mind was they have to many clients, to check on every price, every time one of the brands have another promotion, would be to much time.  It saved me close to $2,000 per cabin and I had two cabins.  Again, I felt like I won the lottery. 

Now I am trained like a dog.  If I see here on CruiseCritic.com another sales is afoot, I call and get a quote on my booking.  Oceania has trained me.  Do I like it, "no" not really.  But it is worth it to save some money on a fare I was happy with in the first place.  

I wish the industry was more transparent but I wish for a lot of things.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@cruisemom42 I hear what you are saying.  I also understand what you are saying.  I also wish it was different.  However, I was THRILLED when I called my agent and asked if I would qualify for a second promotion and I did.  My rub was not with Oceania, it was why did my travel agent know this information and pass it on to me.  The answer in my mind was they have to many clients, to check on every price, every time one of the brands have another promotion, would be to much time.  It saved me close to $2,000 per cabin and I had two cabins.  Again, I felt like I won the lottery. 

Now I am trained like a dog.  If I see here on CruiseCritic.com another sales is afoot, I call and get a quote on my booking.  Oceania has trained me.  Do I like it, "no" not really.  But it is worth it to save some money on a fare I was happy with in the first place.  

I wish the industry was more transparent but I wish for a lot of things.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

TA dependent.  I will call my TA to get pricing, which then includes the perks that she is able to provide.  That way I have a full picture of the cost.  As for special sale, I admit that she doesn't often call me about them in advance, since she many clients and she can't track every booking. But when I asked her to price out my 3 OLife bookings to see if SM made sense, she called me withing hours to tell me one qualified for the Summer Sale, which saved me $7,500. The other two did not make sense. so I kept them as OLife.  Still she always reminds me about upcoming restaurant and excursion bookings, and sends me the pdf of excursions as soon as it's available. Then she will book excursions for me if I ask to make sure I get the right pricing. She does the same of other lines for me too.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I also understand your reluctance to call your TA or O (I never call O directly and their agents are frequently clueless).  I don't remember if you're in the US or UK, so that could be a difference. 

I don't find it a clubby attitude, because, if I call it's because it's a serious consideration on our part, and I want to get an accurate pricing, including the perks she can provide. She  remembers our preferences, allergies and requests...and our birthdays an anniversary.  She neither urges me to or urges me not to complete the booking, as she thinks it's my money so it's my decision without an external pressure, but she will provide me with the information I want, no strings attached.  She doesn't mind us mulling over possibilities, and she always does a booking hold to give us time to decide.  We have declined many times, once we see the price and have a week to investigate more thoroughly.  There is no attempt to manage our decisions.  We feel we're in control and feel she works for us.

She is also loyal as was evidenced when Azamara changed over to a new website and screwed up the client portal totally.  She hung in there when it was nearly impossible to get anyone at Azamara on the phone, and got our reservation re-instated properly including our loyalty accounts.  She was clearly frustrated with Azamara, but she said that was her job...to book and run interference for her clients.

So it's a system that works for us, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

It's just a needless extra step. 

If Oceania really does want to "simplify" things -- as they said with the introduction of Simply More -- then why not just let us know the prices without having to ask for them?

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I also understand your reluctance to call your TA or O (I never call O directly and their agents are frequently clueless).  I don't remember if you're in the US or UK, so that could be a difference. 

I don't find it a clubby attitude, because, if I call it's because it's a serious consideration on our part, and I want to get an accurate pricing, including the perks she can provide. She  remembers our preferences, allergies and requests...and our birthdays an anniversary.  She neither urges me to or urges me not to complete the booking, as she thinks it's my money so it's my decision without an external pressure, but she will provide me with the information I want, no strings attached.  She doesn't mind us mulling over possibilities, and she always does a booking hold to give us time to decide.  We have declined many times, once we see the price and have a week to investigate more thoroughly.  There is no attempt to manage our decisions.  We feel we're in control and feel she works for us.

She is also loyal as was evidenced when Azamara changed over to a new website and screwed up the client portal totally.  She hung in there when it was nearly impossible to get anyone at Azamara on the phone, and got our reservation re-instated properly including our loyalty accounts.  She was clearly frustrated with Azamara, but she said that was her job...to book and run interference for her clients.

She sounds nice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If Oceania really does want to "simplify" things -- as they said with the introduction of Simply More -- then why not just let us know the prices without having to ask for them?

We are destined to disagree on this because our approach is to review itineraries early (because we're very selective about our stateroom) and if there is something that catches our interest, we get a quote.  I guess we are focused more on itinerary than on price (within bounds 🙂).

BTW, I thought your very balanced review of your Iceland/Greenland/Canada was excellent.  Thanks.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

In the past the "regular" sales such as upgrade (Labor Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day), Black Friday, etc. have had the prices showing on the O website. It's only been deeply discounted sales (Extraordinary sale, Summer sale, silent sales) that are harder to dig up. Some TA's have these "secret" prices posted on their website so they can be seen before ever contacting a real person.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

This  is the first time  I have seen  a sale on Oceania  that said "call for prices" 🙄

The only thing I can think of  the  person in charge of  the marketing  for the sales must have been a used car salesperson in the previous job

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, LHT28 said:

This  is the first time  I have seen  a sale on Oceania  that said "call for prices" 🙄

I seem to recall that I had to call in order to see the prices for the Extraordinary sale earlier this year. Everywhere the prices were listed was a notice that these were not the "actual" low prices -- you had to call to get those. (And I did, booking another cruise on Insignia -- taking a chance I'd like the first one, lol.). But I still don't like having to do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I seem to recall that I had to call in order to see the prices for the Extraordinary sale earlier this year.

That was the one I  was referring to 

Was there another  one also ?

We had to call our Agent for the summer sale. Our pricing was not what was on the website, and that was not including TA rebate. Our sailing is listed on the new upgrade sale.  Our cabin category shows on this new sale higher than we paid….sent a note to our TA. 

15 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Our sailing is listed on the new upgrade sale.  Our cabin category shows on this new sale higher than we paid….sent a note to our TA. 

You  do not  need to upgrade to the new sale  price unless you want to of course

• Like 1

just one cruise that I will call the agent about, she did not call us back...

yeah hate the chase...but got a hefty rebate, so  cant complain and can only imagine how busy they must be with everyone calling...

too bad O just cant be transparent with this...