Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

On 9/21/2023 at 6:06 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

We have had a some Spare The Air Days, but the smoke is not nearly as bad as it was a couple of years ago. 

Good..   When we landed just about sunset you couldn't see the ground from 8,000 feet.   At least it is starting to clear.

23 hours ago, ophkw said:

Really enjoyed following along on your trip.  We lived close to Milwaukee and loved spending weekends there.  Glad you found the Fonzie statue.   We are now traveling and I know you mentioned watching your You Tube TV while away.  We have a Nord VPN and it still won’t let us connect. Says we are out of the country even though we are using a US server.  Any other tips or tricks to get us in?

In my case I am using Firestick with NordVPN.    I select SF Server and it not only blocks we are out of the country but also shows us in SF,  allowing us to watch our local stations live instead of just the recordings.

On my PC I had to just keep selecting a server until I found one that hasn't been black listed -   ST Louis worked for me.   

As an alternative you can log onto NordVPN site click the Chat ? icon

Type access YourTubeTv  -  use one of the servers it suggests by entering it in the search bar of NordVPN

it returns

image.thumb.png.dc65f981fcfebd50057eb03746751294.png

23 hours ago, vickykay said:

So very much enjoyed your review.  I had a lot of catching up to do as we just returned from the NE/Canada cruise on the Summit.  Your photos were amazing!

I also remember Gimble’s growing up.  And we loved Boston Store when we moved to upstate NY.  

Quick question, how did you get the dining credit with your priority pass?  We are often at airports or terminals with no lounges.

Thanls!

I hadn't used it at the restaurants either before.     In Denver you show your card at the reception person and she scanned our QR Code and asked what flight number we were on.   She then gave us a little receipt that you present to the waiter when you receive your bill.   He then told us we didn't owe anything since it was under $56.  We gave him a nice tip.

In Atlanta there was no reception so I just asked waiter how it worked and said it covers the first $56 dollar (1 member plus 1 guest).    When we got the bill he scanned our QR code and said it was fully covered so I personally handed him a tip and thanked him.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Jim, really enjoyed reading about this different kind of adventure!  As usual, your photos were a treat to see.  Change is good for us all, don’t you think?  Keeps us young, or at least, young at heart!  I’m glad you had a good time.

Joanie

Thanks Joanie -    I was just thinking of you and all of you Book Collection Lists.   I think I've listened to about 1/2 the books on you list.

I upgraded my iPhone to the new IOS 17 yesterday.    I immediately went to listen to an Audio Book an it either wouldn't play them or would stutter so bad one could not listen.   I ended up having to downgrade last night and return to IOS 16.

Caution to you and others - hold off until they have a new update.   It's really buggy and my phone slowed to a crawl. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Nashna said:

In January, Celebrity only offered Fre which is a very poor-quality non-alcoholic wine...sold in local US grocery stores for $7.99.   There are so many excellent non-alcoholic wines available now that I don't understand why a better quality is not stocked.  While the NA wine was always available in the restaurants, we had trouble getting non-alcoholic wine in the various bars. We are sailing on O. in January. They offer a fairly good selection along with non-alcoholic spirits. 

I agree.   Not the best but better than nothing.   Ponant didn't have either N/A Wine or Beer so beggars can't be choosers. 

My favorite non-alcoholic wine is Ariel Cabernet Sauvignon - not bad at $85 for a 6 pack on Amazon.   

I don't generally like any of the Sparkling Wines but I do enjoy  Tost - about $35 on Amazon.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, hcat said:

met with a new trvl agent today..got brochures for Oceania, the QM 2  Cunard crossing (including a round trip itin)  and A Mississippi  River cruise...All possible???

Hope you are settling in back at home.

Great to hear.   You will have to update us on you selection.  

When I was working on my Cunard reservation I was surprised to find they no longer do Round Trips all of the time.    There are actually very few in certain months I was looking for.

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I agree.   Not the best but better than nothing.   Ponant didn't have either N/A Wine or Beer so beggars can't be choosers. 

My favorite non-alcoholic wine is Ariel Cabernet Sauvignon - not bad at $85 for a 6 pack on Amazon.   

I don't generally like any of the Sparkling Wines but I do enjoy  Tost - about $35 on Amazon.

If you live close enough, Total Wines has Ariel Cab for just $8.99 with a 10 percent discount when you buy the case.  Some of my husband's favorites are Be Well at $14.99 & Be Free at $9.99...both are Cabs.  Plus, Total Wines ships.  He loves the non-alcoholic spirits Total Wines sells called Ritual which has Gin, Rum, Tequila, and vodka non-alcoholic for about $27.00 per fifth.  No one can tell the difference in the rum when used as a mixer.  The tequila in the margaritas is also amazing.  He plans to pay the extra $30.00 per day for the premium drink package on O as they offer all these special non-alcoholic drinks.  He enjoys sipping a decent wine with dinner and the ability to have a decent mocktail when we dine out.  It's so nice to have options.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Great to hear.   You will have to update us on you selection.  

When I was working on my Cunard reservation I was surprised to find they no longer do Round Trips all of the time.    There are actually very few in certain months I was looking for.

yes but for us maybe planning far out would work..although some of the other itins sounded good too..London Symphony, literature cruises.. added bonus!

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I hadn't used it at the restaurants either before.     In Denver you show your card at the reception person and she scanned our QR Code and asked what flight number we were on.   She then gave us a little receipt that you present to the waiter when you receive your bill.   He then told us we didn't owe anything since it was under $56.  We gave him a nice tip.

In Atlanta there was no reception so I just asked waiter how it worked and said it covers the first $56 dollar (1 member plus 1 guest).    When we got the bill he scanned our QR code and said it was fully covered so I personally handed him a tip and thanked him.

Thanks Jim.  Does that work in any airport restaurant?

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I upgraded my iPhone to the new IOS 17 yesterday.    I immediately went to listen to an Audio Book an it either wouldn't play them or would stutter so bad one could not listen.   I ended up having to downgrade last night and return to IOS 16.

Caution to you and others - hold off until they have a new update.   It's really buggy and my phone slowed to a crawl. 

This is very good to know.  I have not encountered any issues with my iPhone since upgrading but will keep and eye/ear out for any going forward. 

thank you. 

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've just started using it at restaurants also. At SFO you can go to Lark Creek or Yankee Pier and get a good meal. It comes in handy now that most US Carriers aren't offering lounge access for domestic flights even when you are flying in first class.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 8:09 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Loved Toronto.   Incredible how much construction is taking place.   The city is alive and SO CLEAN. 

We are currently on Delta and enjoyed a nice dinner and a snooze.  Delta is offering. Free high speed Internet and using it to catch up. 

So glad you enjoyed Toronto. It’s our home. Tough 3 years but that’s true every where. Makes me happy that visitors are still impressed 😁

22 hours ago, Nashna said:

If you live close enough, Total Wines has Ariel Cab for just $8.99 with a 10 percent discount when you buy the case.  Some of my husband's favorites are Be Well at $14.99 & Be Free at $9.99...both are Cabs.  Plus, Total Wines ships.  He loves the non-alcoholic spirits Total Wines sells called Ritual which has Gin, Rum, Tequila, and vodka non-alcoholic for about $27.00 per fifth.  No one can tell the difference in the rum when used as a mixer.  The tequila in the margaritas is also amazing.  He plans to pay the extra $30.00 per day for the premium drink package on O as they offer all these special non-alcoholic drinks.  He enjoys sipping a decent wine with dinner and the ability to have a decent mocktail when we dine out.  It's so nice to have options.

Thanks for information.     We do have Total Wines within a mile of the house.   To be honest I like NA wines on a ship as something to have in front of me for toasting and sipping but at home I generally just drink Sparkling Water.  

While on Apex -  they had NA Gin and the bartender fixed me a drink.    All I can say was I almost spewed it across the room.   It was terrible and left a floral taste on my pallet that took hours to go away.       Due to that I've never tried any of the other NA Spirits --  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, hcat said:

yes but for us maybe planning far out would work..although some of the other itins sounded good too..London Symphony, literature cruises.. added bonus!

I'll be interested to see how we enjoy Cunard.  While many are turned off by the Black Tie requirement in Queen's Grill, we love to dress for dinner.    Like our last cruise, It will be different and feel if we open our eyes we will be in for a great time. 

Iain would love the London Symphony Cruise.    He studied music in University and use to play with the BBC.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, vickykay said:

Thanks Jim.  Does that work in any airport restaurant?

No -  you open the App and search for the airport.    You then have to check the terminals.    In Atlanta it was only available at one Restaurant and only one place was listed.   

In December they had a sign posted that Priority Pass was not available for American Express members -  not sure what that was about.

We had plenty of time so no problem.

When in Toronto they had a Lounge Open to Priority Pass Members in the Cross Boarder Terminal

On 9/23/2023 at 1:28 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I was brave (or foolhardy) and upgraded to iOS 17. No issues, and shortly after there was already 17.0.1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'll be interested to see how we enjoy Cunard.  While many are turned off by the Black Tie requirement in Queen's Grill, we love to dress for dinner.    Like our last cruise, It will be different and feel if we open our eyes we will be in for a great time. 

Iain would love the London Symphony Cruise.    He studied music in University and use to play with the BBC.  

I recall that about IAINs musical history.. The shows we saw on our short cruise on QM 2  were outstanding..and we loved the  classical quartets.. but don't dare whisper..you will be shushed!

We just ordered tickets for  the Sarasota Ballet in Dec.. a very nice combo presentation at the old Opera House. We are basically rock and rollers but appreciate and support the arts!

• Like 2

On 9/23/2023 at 1:23 PM, Jim_Iain said:

We don't usually fly out of ATL.   But, we will be flying ATL to Cape Town in December.   Which restaurant did you go to in ATL airport?     Is the QR code on the Priority Pass card? 

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

No -  you open the App and search for the airport.    You then have to check the terminals.    In Atlanta it was only available at one Restaurant and only one place was listed.   

In December they had a sign posted that Priority Pass was not available for American Express members -  not sure what that was about.

We had plenty of time so no problem.

When in Toronto they had a Lounge Open to Priority Pass Members in the Cross Boarder Terminal

Missed this post.   

AMEX Platinum card members get Priority Pass with their cards.  Are you saying the ATL Delta sky lounge or Centurion lounge was not allowing the use of Priority Passes for AMEX holders?

Edited by AnnaNicole

I’ve been pretty absent from CC for a while and missed your whole post until today. We were in SSM for a family wedding and saw Le Bellot the weekend before you would have been there. It reminded me of your saying you would be trying them out. We also saw the Viking Polaris heading out of the locks. 

Thanks for all of your work in posting his information. It looks like a great itinerary and brought back so many memories of growing up in the north, school trips to Mackinaw Island (well before the days of passport requirements lol). Fantastic pictures as always!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I was brave (or foolhardy) and upgraded to iOS 17. No issues, and shortly after there was already 17.0.1

I was eventually able to get my audio  books back by deleting the Books App and deleting the Books data and then re-uploading them to my phone.    I do have way too many (138 books). 

In the meantime  I was able to download a book using Hoopala from my library.  

I bought a new iPhone 15 Pro Max and it is suppose to ship between 9/24 and 9/26 so hopefully I can just set up everything fresh real soon.

I then set up the Upgrade Chain.    I move Iain to my iPhone 14 Pro Max and our daughter get's Iain's and one of the Grand-kids gets Iain's 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, amcco said:

I’ve been pretty absent from CC for a while and missed your whole post until today. We were in SSM for a family wedding and saw Le Bellot the weekend before you would have been there. It reminded me of your saying you would be trying them out. We also saw the Viking Polaris heading out of the locks. 

Thanks for all of your work in posting his information. It looks like a great itinerary and brought back so many memories of growing up in the north, school trips to Mackinaw Island (well before the days of passport requirements lol). Fantastic pictures as always!

I was really pleased at how many people live or have lived in the area.    The Great Lakes are really starting to be the new Cruise Destination. 

• Like 2