Hot Sandwiches on the Zaadam?

Lakesregion

In as much as the main dining room is closed when the ship is in port, I am wondering where on board one might find hot sandwiches such as Tuna and cheese melt, BLT, Reuben on rye, Monti Cristo. I know the Dive In has burgers and dogs but I am hoping for somethng more than Mickies d's.

Dive-In is more than Micky D's. Hope you enjoy the range of their "hot sandwich" offerings, with fries. Their portobello garden burger is very good. 

Though my own go-to comfort food just happens to be Micky D's Fish Sandwich, with fries and a coke.  Often after long trips, or even in the middle of them, that MacDonald's meal is always my touch of home anywhere around the world. Amazingly consistent product no matter where one buys it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Dive-In is more than Micky D's. Hope you enjoy the range of their "hot sandwich" offerings, with fries. Their portobello garden burger is very good. 

Though my own go-to comfort food just happens to be Micky D's Fish Sandwich, with fries and a coke.  Often after long trips, or even in the middle of them, that MacDonald's meal is always my touch of home anywhere around the world. Amazingly consistent product no matter where one buys it. 

Mickie D does have good sandwiches but I am seeking more than what is available in my back yard. When I go on a cruise or other vacations I like to step out of habit and find other interesting offerings. So far I can find none of that on HAL in the way of sandwiches and BBQ is not my thing. Don't find food that drips off your elbows to be appitizing. Hence the question. 

• Like 1

I have only seen those types of sandwiches in the MDR at lunch.  If they have tuna salad in the Lido they may be able to make you a grilled sandwich if they are not slammed.  Seems if you ask nicely they certainly would consider it.  If you are on a ship that has the Dutch Cafe they have a nice ham & cheese grilled sandwich.  

• Like 1

I've had a lot of success getting meat in the Lido from the "Carvery" hot section area such as roast turkey, pork roast, chicken or prime rib and making a sandwich from that on some good rolls. Zaandam has that section doesn't it?  Do they have the Panini Press like the other ships?

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

ROAST BEEF PANINI* caramelized onions, focaccia roll, Gruyere, cheese, Dijon mustard, shredded lettuce is available on the Zandaam Room Service menu:  Room Service Menu for Zandaam

Excellent, Hopefully My guarnatee cabin will be close enough to a nice lounge where I can take my room service sandwich to enjoy in an open space not provided by an inside cabin.

@Lakesregion In the Lido, the Bread Board section should have a variety of sandwiches, plus the Homestead section might offer a slider.

It’s not hot, but I love the Club Sandwich from the In-Room Dining menu. Highly recommend (with a slice of the chocolate cake for dessert)!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

Not trying to go off topic, but since it’s related: I know passengers may order room service off the MDR menu during dinner hours (I have done this countless times without issue). If a passenger wanted to order room service during lunch hours on a day when the MDR is open, are we able to order from the MDR menu on those days? Just curious about that.

3 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Excellent, Hopefully My guarnatee cabin will be close enough to a nice lounge where I can take my room service sandwich to enjoy in an open space not provided by an inside cabin.

I have read on here that the Zaandam insides are larger than the newer ship inside cabins, hope this is true because we have an inside guarantee for Dec 2023

27 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

I have read on here that the Zaandam insides are larger than the newer ship inside cabins, hope this is true because we have an inside guarantee for Dec 2023

They certainly are larger than the Pinnacle class ships and the small insides in the Vista class.  They each have at least a love seat and some even have room for a full couch. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Banditswife said:

You will find exceptions to the 'rule', but for the most part, this is true. 
As the class of ship gets newer, the size of cabins in the same categories gets smaller. This is true for all categories, as far as I have ever seen. I did not see the interiors of a lot of categories on the Pinnacle class. 

• Like 4

We have been on the Zaandam four times and in 2022 we spent 106 days in an inside cabin.  The insides are larger than the mid size ship inside cabins.  However, the shower is quite small with a curtain.  It did not bother us, just go with the flow.  

Yes, you will find tuna melt at the sandwich station.  You can order your tuna melt and then go to the dive in and get your fries.  They are NOT the McD's fries.   DH got in good with the ice cream man and he would save  him some raspberry ice cream.  That is a hint. 

I could go on and on but I am sure no one wants to read it.  Have a wonderful cruise. 

Our favorite ship!!  Wish we were going.

Happy sailing!! 

• Like 2

On 9/2/2023 at 1:42 PM, RuthC said:

You will find exceptions to the 'rule', but for the most part, this is true. 
As the class of ship gets newer, the size of cabins in the same categories gets smaller. This is true for all categories, as far as I have ever seen. I did not see the interiors of a lot of categories on the Pinnacle class. 

Last inside we had on NS was teeny tiny- no love seat, barely enough room to walk around the bed.  I ended up pushing the bed against the wall, which I am sure made cabin steward's work a bit harder... but I was comfortable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Banditswife said:

Last inside we had on NS was teeny tiny- no love seat, barely enough room to walk around the bed.  I ended up pushing the bed against the wall, which I am sure made cabin steward's work a bit harder... but I was comfortable.

We sailed one on the Koningsdam and said never again.  4 years later I have recovered from the trauma and am now booking insides again except never again on a Pinnacle class ship. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

We sailed one on the Koningsdam and said never again.  4 years later I have recovered from the trauma and am now booking insides again except never again on a Pinnacle class ship. 

Walking down the hallways when the doors were open to the Konigsdam inside cabins, I had to do a double after seeing how small they were. A compact cubicle - they looked dark and oppressive.  But efficient. All the basics were there.

Then I thought about my own 60 day experience in an inside cabin on my first long cruise in the 1970's (MS Gallileo) which was a set of bunk beds, a small sink and two very cramped broom closets for two people. That was it. 

The adventure being onboard s made that inside cabin doable, since all I needed the cabin for was to sleep in, brush teeth, change clothes and use the full bathroom down the hall. This cramped inside cabin did open the door to ship travel for me, and for that I shall always be grateful.

• Like 1

Just now, OlsSalt said:

Walking down the hallways when the doors were open to the Konigsdam inside cabins, I had to do a double after seeing how small they were. A compact cubicle - they looked dark and oppressive.  But efficient. All the basics were there.

Then I thought about my own 60 day experience in an inside cabin on my first long cruise in the 1970's (MS Gallileo) which was a set of bunk beds, a small sink and two very cramped broom closets for two people. That was it. 

The adventure being onboard s made that inside cabin doable, since all I needed the cabin for was to sleep in, brush teeth, change clothes and use the full bathroom down the hall. This cramped inside cabin did open the door to ship travel for me, and for that I shall always be grateful.

I used to camp under a piece of plastic because the DH said tents were too expensive - that's not happening again either (LOL).  The plus was when you ordered room service they could simply reach in and put the tray on your bed which served as dining, sleeping, seating and desk.  

For my preferred long voyages the differential between inside and OV on the Pinnacle is very small anyway

• Like 2

This thread has drifted a bit, but am enjoying the chatter.  The teeny insides on Pinnacle class didn't bother us much.  Like others, we are only in there to sleep & shower.  The bathroom wasn't too bad, loved the glass shower door.  As a child, I shared a small bedroom with 2 other siblings, so no biggie.

6 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

ROFL,  I guess many of us "ole folks" have memories of some of those older ships. My "fondest" is when we went on the budget Regent Spirit (Regency Lines) and booked a basic outside cabin on the lowest passenger deck.  When we got on the ship we discovered we had to go to a very low deck, and than descend down a ladder (it was a nice ladder) to an even lower deck (not serviced by a passenger elevator) to get to our tiny cabin (with one port hole).  Our feet were right at the water level.  DW and I had a wonderful 2 weeks (out of Nice) on that voyage.  I do remember the Gallileo, although we never cruised on that "high class" ship :).

Hank