Can you get unopened soda cans?

firsttimer1971

Among the many tips I have read is to ask your cabin steward to empty the mini fridge in your room als the drinks in them are not covered by the HIA/Beverage package. But I was wondering: can you get soda cans at the bars and ask them to not open them so you can keep them in your room?

56 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Yes.  Beer and water cans also.  Just ask them to not open it.  If using the beverage package they usually will only give two drinks at a time.  

~Nancy

Oh, that 2 drink comment is interesting.  Does that mean I can order a double and it will just count as 2 drinks towards my 15 drink limit?

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Oh, that 2 drink comment is interesting.  Does that mean I can order a double and it will just count as 2 drinks towards my 15 drink limit?

I haven't sailed before, but I have read multiple threads of people who order a double and it counts as 2 drinks toward the 15 drink limit. However, do check your daily statement to see if they did not charge you full price for the second shot as I have also seen people talk about that.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2470955-another-drinks-question/?do=findComment&comment=53275678

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2896608-drink-limit-question/?do=findComment&comment=64376004

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

On those occasions I have ordered a double (strawberry margarita!!) they just counted it as two drinks from my beverage package.  🙂   

@firsttimer1971 makes a good point to keep an eye on your shipboard charges because several people on here have gotten incorrect charges and had to get them removed.  It hasn't happened to me but it's a good idea to check your account.

~Nancy

I have found that if I go to get sodas/water at a bar and take DW's card with me, then no problem to get 4 cans (all the same or mixed).

Many times at a bar the server will ask if you want a double.  Being a nice guy I agree with them 😉and if the drink is within the HIA price limit then it just counts towards the quantity limit** or if it is over the HIA price limit, then the difference +18% doubled is shown on the account, but ofcourse it still counts towards the 15 a day!

**presumption on my behalf as I have never gone over 15 a day (yet)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nodakboiler said:

If you are a 4 star and not on the HIA package you can ask your steward to fill the minibar with the beverages of your choice and get them 50% off!

I am still a zero star at the moment  (first cruise in 76 days) but we have the HIA package so I will just get the cans from the bar and keep them in our room. 

• Like 4

My go to drink is Maker's Mark on the rocks. A jigger of bourbon in a glass is a small, sad & lonely bit of whisky. (Maker's is spelled without the "e".)

I will usually order a double and it counts as two drinks. It saves on time and I help the planet by not using as many clean glasses.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

Among the many tips I have read is to ask your cabin steward to empty the mini fridge in your room als the drinks in them are not covered by the HIA/Beverage package. But I was wondering: can you get soda cans at the bars and ask them to not open them so you can keep them in your room?

Another thing I do when I have HIA, is on the embarkation day.  I order a lot of water and soda cans to have a 'stock' in the room.  No way will we hit 15 drinks on embarkation day so it is better to stock the water and soda than to let the daily limit not be used.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Another thing I do when I have HIA, is on the embarkation day.  I order a lot of water and soda cans to have a 'stock' in the room.  No way will we hit 15 drinks on embarkation day, so it is better to stock the water and soda than to let the daily limit not be used.

We will not be embarking at the departure port (Fort Lauderdale) but at the first port of call (Oranjestad, Aruba) and that is on day 4. Do you think they will give me and my wife the 45 drinks we missed out on the first 3 days (but did pay for) 😉 

But all kidding aside, it is a great idea. Will stock up on some water and soda on the first day we get on the ship. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

I am still a zero star at the moment  (first cruise in 76 days) but we have the HIA package so I will just get the cans from the bar and keep them in our room. 

Welcome and solid plan!!

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Another thing I do when I have HIA, is on the embarkation day.  I order a lot of water and soda cans to have a 'stock' in the room.  No way will we hit 15 drinks on embarkation day so it is better to stock the water and soda than to let the daily limit not be used.

What a smart idea!  I did that on port days on longer cruises when I had it and definitely stocked up when I was doing a B2B - had it for the TA portion and nixed it for the port intensive portion.  I ended up with a box that the stewards moved with water and a few beers and Clamato juice for the 2nd segment to our new room. 😂 

I never thought of embarkation day - brilliant!

• Like 1

I've read the above posts.  We enjoy tonic water, but not from a bar gun.  If we want cans of tonic water can we get it from the Neptune lounge and charge it to our HIA allowance? If not, will we be able to ask our room steward to provide it and deduct it from our daily HIA allowance?  Post #12 indicates that we can order water and tonic on embarkation day and it will be deducted from our daily allowance.  Have not had the HIA before and will be on Oosterdam in January.  Hoping not to have to bring cans of tonic water on board.  Thank you, Cherie

56 minutes ago, cccole said:

I've read the above posts.  We enjoy tonic water, but not from a bar gun.  If we want cans of tonic water can we get it from the Neptune lounge and charge it to our HIA allowance? If not, will we be able to ask our room steward to provide it and deduct it from our daily HIA allowance?  Post #12 indicates that we can order water and tonic on embarkation day and it will be deducted from our daily allowance.  Have not had the HIA before and will be on Oosterdam in January.  Hoping not to have to bring cans of tonic water on board.  Thank you, Cherie

You can get the cans of tonic water in the Neptune Lounge or at any bar.  

Don’t order room service - they can’t deduct it from your HIA.  I would ask your concierge instead if they can arrange it and have it deducted from your HIA.  The room service people don’t have the scan needed to use your HIA.

I used to take DD DH’s card to the bar near us (a few steps away on the P’dam) and get 4 cans and bring them back.

Doesn’t take long to get enough.  😂 

On 9/2/2023 at 8:26 AM, VMax1700 said:

You, my friend, are a planner. Tip of the hat for that suggestion. It's not often that I say, "I gotta write this down," but this arises. Thank you!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, POA1 said:

You, my friend, are a planner. Tip of the hat for that suggestion. It's not often that I say, "I gotta write this down," but this arises. Thank you!

😁 Thank you!  DW reckons that I am a cross between a control freak and a tight wad.  I like the handle 'planner' better. 😉

41 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

😁 Thank you!  DW reckons that I am a cross between a control freak and a tight wad.  I like the handle 'planner' better. 😉

In all seriousness, I was trying to to figure out how to cross control freak with tight was and it keeps coming up Welsh. (For the record, these are my people on my father's side.)

• Haha 2