Insignia and hurricanes

Pappy1258

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

So  a handful  schedule cruise to Bermuda in Sept   they must be willing to take  a chance

You are not forced to book them are you?

There  are  many cruise to Bermuda  at other times of the year  or better yet  just fly there  & get the  whole experience  Bermuda has to offer

Oceania scheduled all their 2023 Bermuda cruises from 30 August to 27 September: the absolute worst of hurricane season. 2024 looks to be the same on Insignia and Nautica.

You are correct that there are other cruise lines sailing to Bermuda at better times of the year and that flying may be a better option.  If one likes cattle call mega ships, choosing NCL or Celebrity for their wiser scheduling may be a good choice.

Oceania's scheduling decision, however, is perplexing. 

NCL was going to Bermuda in February I believe and people were upset.  They truly think it’s in the Caribbean.  There used to be a season for cruises to Bermuda.  I personally wouldn’t go if I wanted to swim before later May.  True, September has its risks but the pricing was a great value to us.  As long as you realize the gamble which we did.  It’s so hot today in Hamilton and not a cloud in the sky.  Better weather than my June trip.  But hopefully a good travel advisor would let you know the risks of a Bermuda cruise.  Posted a pic. Ok there’s a little cloud.  

image.jpg

Edited by rxlowry
Added pic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Weather at ship pool fine. However at the beach, no umbrellas due to wind, strong undercurrent and waves. Eventually everyone was prohibited from entering the water.   We found shade for our loungers and stayed a few hours….still a great day.
St. Catherine Beach yesterday was absolutely wonderful.

Considering we knew how weather can be in September for this itinerary, this cruise has been a winner. 

• Like 1

How rough was it coming back to New York on Sept. 4? Well, here is a short video through our ocean view cabin window on deck 4, 30 (maybe 40 feet..not sure) above the ocean. The wave at about 3 minutes into the video was amazing.Make sure your sound is turned way up 🙂!

Edited by SonuvaBeach

On 9/10/2023 at 8:14 AM, DC225 said:

Oceania scheduled all their 2023 Bermuda cruises from 30 August to 27 September: the absolute worst of hurricane season. 2024 looks to be the same on Insignia and Nautica.

You are correct that there are other cruise lines sailing to Bermuda at better times of the year and that flying may be a better option.  If one likes cattle call mega ships, choosing NCL or Celebrity for their wiser scheduling may be a good choice.

Oceania's scheduling decision, however, is perplexing. 

Actually we were scheduled in April on the Riviera to go to Bermuda. It actually wound up not going, we went to Jacksonville Fl instead, for an overnight, then we went to Charleston. . We also went to Bermuda on Regatta a few years ago in April, so it’s not always in September. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Notice there is no compensation and no option to cancel, thanks Oceania!  I have several clients affected and they are none too happy.  A cruise to Nassau is a poor substitute for, well anything else, let alone Bermuda.

Why did they book during hurricane season?

There is always a chance  of changes during this time of the  year on the east coast  especially cruises to Bermuda

We booked a cruise  this month  EWO  knowing  things can change with severe weather

JMO

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Notice there is no compensation and no option to cancel, thanks Oceania!  I have several clients affected and they are none too happy.  A cruise to Nassau is a poor substitute for, well anything else, let alone Bermuda.

Isn't it the custom that mechanical issues get compensation, and weather doesn't?

We are on the Sept. 13 Insignia cruise, Bermuda Bliss, now going to Nassau.  I do not understand why some people on this cruise are angry.  I can understand disappointment but their anger is ridiculous.  All cruise lines deviate itineraries due to weather.  The passenger contract is clear with regard to itinerary changes.  I always enjoy meeting people on an Oceania cruise.  And, I always avoid the complainers.  Who needs such negativity?  Life is short.  Enjoy the moment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe because with a small ship Oceania should have been able to go to Bahamas but avoid Nassau and its 20,000 plus cruisers. Crystal had an interesting (to me) Bahamas itinerary when they restarted after the covid halt.  I'm just happy that we are avoiding the hurricane and its effects (they say).  

1 hour ago, TonicTraveler said:

We are on the Sept. 13 Insignia cruise, Bermuda Bliss, now going to Nassau.  I do not understand why some people on this cruise are angry.  I can understand disappointment but their anger is ridiculous.  All cruise lines deviate itineraries due to weather.  The passenger contract is clear with regard to itinerary changes.  I always enjoy meeting people on an Oceania cruise.  And, I always avoid the complainers.  Who needs such negativity?  Life is short.  Enjoy the moment.

Imagine going to a steakhouse, your mouth watering for a juicy filet mignon, only to find out all they can serve is a burger.

Oceania can't control the weather, but to an extent they can control their alternative ports of call.  Instead of Nassau, how about Charleston, SC?  Jacksonville, FL for historic St. Augustine?  Turks and Caicos?  

Nassau is a lame substitute for Bermuda.  If you are just booking for the cruise and don't care where the boat goes, then it shouldn't matter, but if you booked wanting to go to Bermuda, then you're probably not going to be happy with the Bahamas.  Bermuda is a chic and elegant island outpost and many people think Nassau is the armpit of the Caribbean.  I would be disappointed.

49 minutes ago, DC225 said:

Oceania can't control the weather, but to an extent they can control their alternative ports of call.  Instead of Nassau, how about Charleston, SC?  Jacksonville, FL for historic St. Augustine?  Turks and Caicos?  

I agree Nassau is not exciting and it will be packed with other ships over the weekend, but I'm not sure they had much choice (assuming that is where we end up...have not seen a specific itinerary yet).  Have to leave the US, and T&C is perhaps a little too far for a 7-day out of NY.  They could probably squeeze in 8 hrs somewhere on the east coast before heading to the Bahamas if they could make arrangements with the respective port authority, but don't know how feasible that is.  Disappointed we won't get to Bermuda, but we'll make the best of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atlbrm said:

I agree Nassau is not exciting and it will be packed with other ships over the weekend, but I'm not sure they had much choice (assuming that is where we end up...have not seen a specific itinerary yet).  Have to leave the US, and T&C is perhaps a little too far for a 7-day out of NY.  They could probably squeeze in 8 hrs somewhere on the east coast before heading to the Bahamas if they could make arrangements with the respective port authority, but don't know how feasible that is.  Disappointed we won't get to Bermuda, but we'll make the best of it.

Current itinerary is arrive Nassau Sept 16 in the morning and depart Sept 17 at 6:00PM.  

You are correct.  Cruise ships must visit at least one foreign port.  Also correct that Grand Turk is further than Nassau by 250 miles.  I'm no fan of Nassau but it's likely that Oceania had no choice.

2 hours ago, DC225 said:

Maybe there are other ships  at Grand Turk   & more than just Oceania is affected by the storm

They  could hit the US coast ports but still need to hit a foreign port  to satisfy the PVSA

Imagine  booking  a cruise in hurricane season then complain when a hurricane actually  comes along 😈

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe there are other ships  at Grand Turk   & more than just Oceania is affected by the storm

They  could hit the US coast ports but still need to hit a foreign port  to satisfy the PVSA

Imagine  booking  a cruise in hurricane season then complain when a hurricane actually  comes along 😈

Here’s a pat on the back. You are clearly smarter traveler than the average run-of-the-mill cruiser.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

I’d rather go to Nassau with nice weather than be stuck inside or completely not safe!  This ship needs to outdoor spaces as it seems very crowded on sea days.  If all the people weren’t at pool, where would they be???

On decks 4 & 5  🤢

16 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Isn't that what purchasing CFAR is for? Tied to a specific itinerary than reconsider booking during hurricane high season.  

17 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Oceania, like all cruise lines, have limitations when changing an itinerary due to weather.

1.  They can only cover so many miles.  This is one reason why we are going to Nassau.  Other Caribbean islands are too far from NYC for a 7-day cruise.

2.  They must visit a foreign port.

3.  There must be dock space.

Given these parameters, Nassau was likely the only option.

• Like 1

I just wish they had at least chosen to go to Nassau AND Freeport. Or maybe a private island?  Of course with the expected rough seas, those tender ports may get cancelled as well. I agree with everyone

- we booked at a discounted rate because of the time of year, and should be ready to accept the consequences of that decision. 

- we all want to be safe

- we are all entitled to disappointment when  you have made plans for certain activities 

- Oceania could have given much more detailed information in the email communication. Why should we have to find out from CC the exact days/times we will be in port. Plus no communication about available excursions 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonicTraveler said:

Oceania, like all cruise lines, have limitations when changing an itinerary due to weather.

1.  They can only cover so many miles.  This is one reason why we are going to Nassau.  Other Caribbean islands are too far from NYC for a 7-day cruise.

2.  They must visit a foreign port.

3.  There must be dock space.

Given these parameters, Nassau was likely the only option.

There is another possible option.   When Vista had to scale back to only 1 day in Norfolk in Mar '24, she added a second visit to Nassau.  Then she replaced the first visit to Nassau with a day at NCL's Great Stirrup Cay.  #3 applies, though.