In case there are no spots at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal?

Emmabelle

MCT says it's full on October 7th for our Disney Dream cruise.  I still plan to try and park there but if it is full then where would be a good secondary garage?  Websites that I've looked at say 57th or 58th Street, but that looks far on Google Maps?  I'm asking because my husband has mobility issues after suffering a stroke so I know I could drop him off but how do I get across 9A walking?  It looks like a major throroughfare? 

50 minutes ago, Emmabelle said:

MCT says it's full on October 7th for our Disney Dream cruise.  I still plan to try and park there but if it is full then where would be a good secondary garage?  Websites that I've looked at say 57th or 58th Street, but that looks far on Google Maps?  I'm asking because my husband has mobility issues after suffering a stroke so I know I could drop him off but how do I get across 9A walking?  It looks like a major throroughfare? 

32 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I've never heard of the MCT parking being full.

I believe what they're saying is that no reserved spaces are available, not that the parking lots are full. They will only allow reservations for some unstated percentage of the total parking spaces .

I have actually been there twice when the lots filled, so it does happen but it only will affect late arrivals to the cruise terminal.

I only see one other ship in port that day and it's a very small Silversea  expedition ship. When your ship docks that morning there will be many parking spaces becoming available from disembarked passengers so if you get there in the morning sometime after 9 am you should find plenty of spaces available.

If something goes sideways there are parking lots at Pier 83 and Pier 81 just a few blocks south of the cruise terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emmabelle said:

MCT says it's full on October 7th for our Disney Dream cruise. 

I’m curious as to where that information came from. (Did you email them and ask?) What I see on the website is that they are not taking parking reservations for that sailing, nor for the October 3 sailing of the Dream. They are taking parking reservations for the seven night sailing of the Norwegian Escape departing on October 1, which perhaps is impacting their decision not to take reservations for your cruise.

If you haven’t emailed them about October 7, you might want to do so.

Edited to add: I was typing just as @njhorseman was posting, hence the overlap. 😊

Edited by Turtles06
  • Thanks 1

I guess I should've said "reserved" spaces. 😀 It does make me feel better that they are still giving out reserved spots for NCL's Escape.

I don't really think I won't find a spot, I'm just a planner.  I'm worried I'd panic if I got there and they said the port parking was full. 😜

1 hour ago, Emmabelle said:

I guess I should've said "reserved" spaces. 😀 It does make me feel better that they are still giving out reserved spots for NCL's Escape.

I don't really think I won't find a spot, I'm just a planner.  I'm worried I'd panic if I got there and they said the port parking was full. 😜

Download the app Spot Hero. You’ll have a backup plan “just in case” it’s full when you arrive.

Arrive around 10 am. The previous cruisers will all be gone. Plenty of spaces open. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Emmabelle said:

how do I get across 9A walking?  It looks like a major throroughfare? 

If you should need to do this, pedestrian crossings are at the south side of W. 50, W.52, and W. 54, and the north side of W. 55

• Thanks 1

Over the 10 years or so (probably more) that I have been on this site, I have seen at least a dozen "what if it is full" threads.

And not yet a post about it actually being full.

But the answer is, if it's full, go to your favorite parking app, like Spot Hero, and find the closest well priced alternative. Just as you'd do if any other parking option were unavailable.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Over the 10 years or so (probably more) that I have been on this site, I have seen at least a dozen "what if it is full" threads.

But the answer is, if it's full, go to your favorite parking app, like Spot Hero, and find the closest well priced alternative. Just as you'd do if any other parking option were unavailable.

I've posted numerous times here about the couple of of occasion when passengers who were on the same cruise as I was could not park at the terminal because the lot was full.

Frankly it's got more than a little annoying to have to restate this fact over and over...almost on a weekly basis.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I've posted numerous times here about the couple of of occasion when passengers who were on the same cruise as I was could not park at the terminal because the lot was full.

Frankly it's got more than a little annoying to have to restate this fact over and over...almost on a weekly basis.

Cool

20 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I would know how to do that but thank you anyways.  I wanted to know where the best places to park and be able to cross the major road that runs in front of the cruise docks.  Both TSS Alex and njhorseman gave me those cross roads and that was helpful. 

Have a nice day!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 11:03 PM, goin-away said:

We parked once at the MCT and while the deck was full they just put us on the ramp between the different sections of the terminals.

Same here.  The ramp, driving lane is wide enough for cars on either side.  They use those spaces if necessary.  Can't turn away money!

• Haha 1

On 9/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, Emmabelle said:

NCL Escape apparently did not have a reserved dock.  😄  Many ships returned early on Thursday/Friday due to Hurricane Lee and the docks were full.  Jewel had to move from Cape Liberty to Manhattan to allow Liberty to dock.  Escape was anchored just north of the Verrazano.

17 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

NCL Escape apparently did not have a reserved dock.  😄  Many ships returned early on Thursday/Friday due to Hurricane Lee and the docks were full.  Jewel had to move from Cape Liberty to Manhattan to allow Liberty to dock.  Escape was anchored just north of the Verrazano.

well hopefully nothing like that happens on October 7th!

Just the info I was looking for - we sail DCL Dream on 10/27 and was getting the same message online about no reservations.   This will be our 5th time sailing out of NYC and we never had reservations before and no trouble parking.   We have a very early PAT, so I'm hoping we will be fine since we will arrive fairly early.  

• Like 1

I'm here to report back on parking availability. 

Short answer: yes, there was enough parking on the adjacent deck for three ships at the same time, including NCL Joy, the largest of the three.  Cars were indeed parked along either side of the ramp. 

I had bought a "reserved" space (read: pre-pay for a spot for more money), but I didn't need to, as there were spots.  My friend, who didn't reserve one, was behind me in their car; and they had no issues.

Going forward, I will not pre-pay ("reserve"). Don't need to.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JGmf said:

Short answer: yes, there was enough parking on the adjacent deck for three ships at the same time, including NCL Joy, the largest of the three.  Cars were indeed parked along either side of the ramp. 

I had bought a "reserved" space (read: pre-pay for a spot for more money), but I didn't need to, as there were spots.  My friend, who didn't reserve one, was behind me in their car; and they had no issues.

I will pre-pay for my next cruise just in case there is a glitch with the credit card once there. As they do not accept cash anymore, what is the back-up ? 

I preferto pay a couple of $ extra and have the peace of mind.

On 9/25/2023 at 9:38 AM, JGmf said:

LOVE a helpful followup post like this!!!  ❤️

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I think it's the right thread for my questions. I hope the experts here can help. Thanks in advance!

I'm having a cruise (Norwegian Escape) coming up next week. I assume the Cruise Terminal official parking is the most expensive. At $45 / night (based on the site), including tax, my 7 night cruise parking would cost $315.

Looking at Spot Hero as multiple posters suggested in this thread, I checked other parking near by and they are mostly > $315 ($302 - $459), with a couple of garage a little further away at $256 and $280. Did I miss something? Is the most convenient parking cheaper than most garage nearby?

If I stay in a hotel an hour away, leaving at 9:30 and arriving at the terminal at about 10:20-10:30, would you say it's almost sure I would get a parking spot?

(I initially booked the Hampton Inn Ridgefield Park for $305 with stay + parking & shuttle. But they wanted to charge me $65 x 2 = $130 extra for my 4 and 7 kids, having a total of $435. I figured with $315 parking at the terminal + ~$120 living further away, I can have the convenience of parking rather than waiting for shuttles. Would you agree?)

3 hours ago, bong003 said:

Did I miss something? Is the most convenient parking cheaper than most garage nearby?

While $45 per day sounds expensive it's actually quite reasonable for Manhattan. There may be a few relatively nearby places that charge a few dollars less but the convenience and security of parking at the cruise terminal outweighs a minor difference in cost.

3 hours ago, bong003 said:

If I stay in a hotel an hour away, leaving at 9:30 and arriving at the terminal at about 10:20-10:30, would you say it's almost sure I would get a parking spot?

You should have no problem getting a parking space at 10:30. 

• Like 1