Gratuities [eeeek]

zimmerman

17 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

DW said she was presented the “gratuity prompt” at the self-check out register at the local grocery store recently. 

This is a classic example of the American tipping culture gone completely out of control

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

Crazy stuff.  Other than odd change I might toss in the tip jar at the local coffee shop, I have stopped tipping for counter service.  Just tired of it.  

Going off course here, one of our local hardware stores asks if you want to round up credit card charges for a contribution to a local children's hospital. That I kind of like.  Last year they raised $92K.  

If they actually give it all.  Many such endeavors take out a good percentage for their compensation.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

If they actually give it all.  Many such endeavors take out a good percentage for their compensation.

Not only that, you have corporations making billion dollar profits guilting customers in to giving. They then use those donations from customers as a tax writeoff to lower their own tax burden and make more profit. 

Donations are always best when given directly to an organization. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Oh boy, it is always good to be wary of something like that.  Knowing of the owner of this place, I would be very disappointed to learn they were skimming off the top, and actually don't have that worry.  I don't know if a third party is involved in setting this up, but if so, I might be more concerned about them taking too large a cut.  Next time I get a chance, I'll ask how much makes it to the charity.  

9 hours ago, Mikamarii said:

Not only that, you have corporations making billion dollar profits guilting customers in to giving. They then use those donations from customers as a tax writeoff to lower their own tax burden and make more profit. 

Donations are always best when given directly to an organization. 

We are talking about the odd cents rounded to the next whole dollar from a credit card charge.  I just see it as an easy & non-painful way to help out  I can't imagine anyone feeling guilty if they press the "no" button.  But, who knows. 

My understanding, courtesy of Google, is a customer's donation at the register cannot be claimed by the business.  Assumes the business is honest of course.  

Boy, the world we live in.  What should be a good thing is full of potential pitfalls.  

Anyway, I think I've taken this thread way off course.   Apologies to all.  

9 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, bartenders and cabin attendants are tipped positions.

Union labor making $70 and up per hour plus full benefits is NOT a tipped position.

But Joe says they should share the profits. 😃 (The only time our bags did not show up was the time we forgot to carry cash at boarding to tip the porter. 50+ cruises. A fluke? I think not. Btw, when we finally found them in front of a cabin at the other end of the ship, our tags were missing.)

41 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

But Joe says they should share the profits. 😃 (The only time our bags did not show up was the time we forgot to carry cash at boarding to tip the porter. 50+ cruises. A fluke? I think not. Btw, when we finally found them in front of a cabin at the other end of the ship, our tags were missing.)

50 plus cruises; have never tipped porters, have never had a bag not show at my room. 

Yes, yours was a fluke. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

So how does the porters' coercion to tip stop if everyone falls into line with their game? 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Porters aren’t tipped positions while bartenders and cabin attendants are.

While I agree with that statement 100%, I still tip the porter(s).  That's just me, I'm not saying that anyone/everyone should.  I just like to show a little personal gratitude to people who are providing me with a service.  However, if the service isn't what I expect, they don't want to hear from me. Fortunately, that doesn't happen very often.  In fact, I don't remember the last time.

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

While I agree with that statement 100%, I still tip the porter(s).  That's just me, I'm not saying that anyone/everyone should.  I just like to show a little personal gratitude to people who are providing me with a service.  However, if the service isn't what I expect, they don't want to hear from me. Fortunately, that doesn't happen very often.  In fact, I don't remember the last time.

Fair enough, but next time you fly AA make sure you look for DH in the cockpit and give him a tip. Pilots and flight attendants are providing a service also. More cruise money for me. 😆 Personally, I just think tipping has gotten out of hand. Seems like a lot of people are expecting a tip these days even in non-tipping positions.

• Like 8

On 9/14/2023 at 6:34 AM, crazyank said:

This is a classic example of the American tipping culture gone completely out of control

This is a classic example of where people don't really know how these point of sale systems work.

Oftentimes, for most Point of sale (POS) systems, the option is to turn it on or turn it off and nothing in between. In the case you reference, if the grocery carry out cafe/sub counter should have a tipping option available, the entire store might need to have the option enabled because of the limitation of the POS system, thus making it an option for the normal checkout line.

People on these boards jump to the worst assumptions sometimes and reading through this thread has just been an eye opening experience.

41 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Fair enough, but next time you fly AA make sure you look for DH in the cockpit and give him a tip. Pilots and flight attendants are providing a service also. More cruise money for me. 😆 Personally, I just think tipping has gotten out of hand. Seems like a lot of people are expecting a tip these days even in non-tipping positions.

I can't imagine the look on your husbands face if, as we are departing, I slipped a $20 into is hand.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

look for DH 

Tell him I said hey.  Pretty sure he & I flew a bit together before I retired (I went very early lol)  He'll most likely recognize my screenname/commuter location (we have same first initial as well) and you'll perhaps recall as well after chatting w/ him.  Apologize if I'm completely thinking about another married couple.

Edited by bucfan2

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

When we use to pay for drinks with cash on airplanes I always tipped the FA. They were always very nice and had to deal with a holes with a smile on their face.   I’m not a huge drinker but I hate flying so liquor is involved no matter the time of flight. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, #55worktoplay said:

When we use to pay for drinks with cash on airplanes I always tipped the FA. They were always very nice and had to deal with a holes with a smile on their face.   I’m not a huge drinker but I hate flying so liquor is involved no matter the time of flight. 

You can still tip cash if you are paying w/ a credit card. Just don't knock on the cockpit door and try to tip 😉.  Wait til you are departing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

You can still tip cash if you are paying w/ a credit card. Just don't knock on the cockpit door and try to tip 😉.  Wait til you are departing.

Funny you say that. I never have since we had to pay with credit card  I never thought of it actually. I will next time. 

• Like 1