Live From Regatta 07 Sept. - 20 Sept. 2023 Alaska to California Medley - Vancouver to LA

FetaCheese

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for continuing to take the time to post all of this. It is much appreciated. Do you know if any of these wine and bar events are included with the prestige package?  Those types of offerings are included  on some lines if you have the upgraded beverage package

No- the various tastings are an extra charge as noted in the flyer. Same goes for the “bin end list.” 
As aforementioned, whether it’s your O Life perk choice or your SM included perk, both the basic booze package of mealtime beer and wine and the prestige package upgrade that adds spirits and all day service includes a relatively small list of mostly mediocre $10+\- USD retail wines (except for an occasional half decent selection of one or two at $15-20. And both packages’ wines are always by-the-glass.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No- the various tastings are an extra charge as noted in the flyer. Same goes for the “bin end list.” 
As aforementioned, whether it’s your O Life perk choice or your SM included perk, both the basic booze package of mealtime beer and wine and the prestige package upgrade that adds spirits and all day service includes a relatively small list of mostly mediocre $10+\- USD retail wines (except for an occasional half decent selection of one or two at $15-20. And both packages’ wines are always by-the-glass.

Thank you for clarifying. It’s really good to know all these details when making decisions, and then being able to calculate how they may impact your personal choices when determining total cost against other options. The wine situation is more than unattractive, having the same low end USD available for both packages is pretty surprising. Again, good to know ahead. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for clarifying. It’s really good to know all these details when making decisions, and then being able to calculate how they may impact your personal choices when determining total cost against other options. The wine situation is more than unattractive, having the same low end USD available for both packages is pretty surprising. Again, good to know ahead. 

Bring your own wine if possible. The 6 bottle limit is only a CYA statement. We often bring a case to start and replenish along the route at appropriate stops. 
That said, don’t buy cheap wine. A good $70 NorCal Pinot plus $25 corkage would set you back $250+ on the ship.

The only booze package worth it is the Prestige package and that’s if you drink spirits. Order doubles with good booze.

But, once you cruise O a lot and do long cruises, you may find that even that package isn’t that great. Welcome and O Club parties each segment plus officer invited plus happy hour twofers plus bartenders who like you all help to keep your final bar tab reasonable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks much FF. It’s no doubt that bringing wine on board will be part of the accompanied when boarding. Barcelona will provide some good options. But not sure if we shouldn’t just being some from home as well. With the new SM wine included, O really should waive the corkage fee as others do.  That’s a good example of nickel-and-diming  IMO…

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thanks much FF. It’s no doubt that bringing wine on board will be part of the accompanied when boarding. Barcelona will provide some good options. But not sure if we shouldn’t just being some from home as well. With the new SM wine included, O really should waive the corkage fee as others do.  That’s a good example of nickel-and-diming  IMO…

Since SM does not start until 01OCT and for almost 2 years there will be people sailing under the old OLife, no idea how O will handle corkage fees in the future....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for continuing to take the time to post all of this. It is much appreciated. Do you know if any of these wine and bar events are included with the prestige package?  Those types of offerings are included  on some lines if you have the upgraded beverage package

Thanks for your kind comment.

I think you question was answered before I saw those posts.

Just catching up, took White Pass and Yukon RR trip today.  Very impressive.

Internet is slow to intermittent to not working, and will drop out alot while online.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, julia said:

@FetaCheese  Thank you immensely for posting the pic of the "included drink package"  upgrade to prestige! This is very helpful, as we will be upgrading on the sailing after yours.  Excellent first hand reporting!

Thanks for your kind comment.

Not big drinkers, so no PKG for us.  Will take it on next cruise, Viking, was included!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, basor said:

Since SM does not start until 01OCT and for almost 2 years there will be people sailing under the old OLife, no idea how O will handle corkage fees in the future....

Nothing changes with corkage under SM. Bring a bottle of wine onboard and drink any of its contents outside of your cabin? That’s a $25 corkage fee.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Nothing changes with corkage under SM. Bring a bottle of wine onboard and drink any of its contents outside of your cabin? That’s a $25 corkage fee.

OK - I will check it out when onboard the 01OCT....did not see that specifically addressed in SM 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, basor said:

OK - I will check it out when onboard the 01OCT....did not see that specifically addressed in SM 

It's really not part of SM, like it was not part of OLife.  It's their bring-wine-aboard policy: drink in the room or take to a dining venue for a corkage fee,

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

It's really not part of SM, like it was not part of OLife.  It's their bring-wine-aboard policy: drink in the room or take to a dining venue for a corkage fee,

I understand all of that but when SM is totally onboard, they may make a change to the corkage fee - no one knows...we have been bringing wine and spirits on board for many years so know how it worked before.  I was just saying that with SM and everyone has the included wine/beer perk with meals, they MAY change bringing your own wine to meals.  With OLife, many did not have that perk so understandable about charging corkage fee.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, basor said:

I understand all of that but when SM is totally onboard, they may make a change to the corkage fee - no one knows...we have been bringing wine and spirits on board for many years so know how it worked before.  I was just saying that with SM and everyone has the included wine/beer perk with meals, they MAY change bringing your own wine to meals.  With OLife, many did not have that perk so understandable about charging corkage fee.

That was what I was thinking. If wine is included, why would a corkage fee exist as people bringing their own wine on board is less of Oceania’s “free” wine that is poured, which is a plus to their bottom line. 
Regardless of how I feel about this policy, it is their policy, and I can drink good wine and pay the fee or not…..

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 3

Unless you are bringing your own wine glasses and washing them in your room, why would you think O should bear the expense of these things?

I guess I'm lucky to have been blessed with a plebian taste in wines, such that I can fine many very satisfying wine choices to enjoy on the by-the-glass list that O provides.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, golfguyhhi said:

Unless you are bringing your own wine glasses and washing them in your room, why would you think O should bear the expense of these things?

I guess I'm lucky to have been blessed with a plebian taste in wines, such that I can fine many very satisfying wine choices to enjoy on the by-the-glass list that O provides.

‘Bringing your own wine glasses and washing them in your room’ - huh?  This makes no sense. 
I feel very fortunate to enjoy lovely and good wines, but also think it is great that you have a plebeian taste so that it works for you and that you also enjoy. 

Edited by Vineyard View

4 hours ago, golfguyhhi said:

Ha…..nice try.

Costs such as that are covered by the mandatory SM package we now pay with new bookings.

So, if we have already paid, through mandatory SM, why is a second fee, corkage, also charged ?
As one of this forum’s wine experts recently posted….. by the glass selection is “poor to mediocre at best”.

Where is the incentive to provide better choices ? ( rhetorical ).

Edited by Tranquility Base

48 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Ha…..nice try.

Costs such as that are covered by the mandatory SM package we now pay with new bookings.

So, if we have already paid, through mandatory SM, why is a second fee, corkage, also charged ?
As one of this forum’s wine experts recently posted….. by the glass selection is “poor to mediocre at best”.

Where is the incentive to provide better choices ? ( rhetorical ).

Rules are rules.  There is a corkage fee for bottles brought onboard.  Your choice...you pay. regarless of SM or anything else.

• Like 1

Now, back to the live from topic.

Polo Grill

We had an 8:00 sharing table last night, we arrived at 7:30, and they promptly seated us with another couple. It was interesting, because the other couple recognized us from yesterday's railroad trip. they were sitting right behind us.  They are from Ontario Canada.

Wife and I ordered crab cake, excellent, and I  also had beetroot with goat cheese.  Beautifully arranged and presented. Wife had French onion soup, which she said was just delicious.  I had the lobster bisque which was very very nice, seem to be different and better than that which I had in the grand dining room.

We both ordered the romaine, tomato, bacon and cheddar cheese salad.  Also beautifully arranged and presented and was very fresh.

Wife ordered filet mignon medium well, and was cooked perfectly, was very tender and delicious.  I had the New York strip steak, medium, also cooked perfectly.  Both of our steaks were tender, and of excellent quality.

It wouldn't be a Polo grill meal without lobster mac and cheese, which we both enjoyed very much, although very light with lobster chunks.

Other couple husband had prime rib, Queens cut medium rare, and was cooked perfectly; he really enjoyed it.  His wife had the lamb chops cooked to her liking and she also enjoyed them very much.

The show last night was a comedian, Fred Wing.  A nice show, funny, clean humor.

Today the Regatta is sailing the Hubbard glacier and we have beautiful weather and very calm seas.  Upon boarding, in our cabin was the latest shorex booklet.  An additional tour was added, a 2-hour catamaran sailing in the Hubbard glacier to look for wildlife.  Flatbush is taking tour, so maybe he will report back on how it was.

The enrichment lecturer today will be giving live commentary as we sell around the Hubbard glacier.

IMG_20230912_112312363_HDR.jpg

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 6