Live From Regatta 07 Sept. - 20 Sept. 2023 Alaska to California Medley - Vancouver to LA

FetaCheese

51 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

No, a special case.  Hotel advertised a free YVR to hotel shuttle.  Upon arrival at YVR, hotel could not provide shuttle, so told us to take Richmond taxi, pay for it, then hotel would reimburse me.

sorry I thought you were talking about checking in at the port 😄

• Like 1

GDR Breakfast

I had scrambled eggs, fresh eggs, cooked to my preference , and my favorite, broiled kippers, cooked to my preference.  Wife had eggs Benedict, very well prepared.

GDR Lunch

Wonderful attentive service.  I had Salade Nicoise, correct ingredients, beautifully plated, with Grilled Tuna done to my order preference.  2 large pieces, very tasty, a hearty lunch.  App was shrimp, 3 extra large, perfectly cooked, not overdone. Quality much better than expected.  Served with peeled grapefruit section, and Marie Louise sauce.

Wife's meal, was grouper with chimichurri.  Also excellent.  App was emantal quiche, also very fine.

Will say that pastry chef is preparing extra fine items, including breads and desserts.  Had croissant for breakfast, also perfectly rolled, buttered and baked.  Plenty of French butter also served with breads at breakfast and lunch.

Will try to meet pastry chef.

Have written all these food details to let folks know that quality is there, just as remembered from 4 prior O cruises, all pre-C.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Staff on this VoyageIMG_20230908_143417591.thumb.jpg.6227a6cdbcb13459aa0ec6605dfc2a55.jpg

Did you have a chance to meet Oceania Ambassador on board. Can you please find out how booking onboard will work in light of the new cancellation policy. Particularly if one time change to the different cruise without loosing the administrative fee is still allowed before a certain time prior to the start of the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, osandomir said:

Did you have a chance to meet Oceania Ambassador on board. Can you please find out how booking onboard will work in light of the new cancellation policy. Particularly if one time change to the different cruise without loosing the administrative fee is still allowed before a certain time prior to the start of the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

I don't think I'll be seeing club ambassador 

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

During embarkation in addition to the Terrace Cafe buffet & Waves being open was the GDR also open? If so, do you remember the hours as we have the earliest check-in time at 1100 on Regatta at the end of September.

The GDR is not open on embarkations day  they do  have a special lunch for B2Ber by invitation only

You could  check out Barristas  until Waves  open about 11:30 am

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

The GDR is not open on embarkations day  they do  have a special lunch for B2Ber by invitation only

You could  check out Barristas  until Waves  open about 11:30 am

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

During embarkation in addition to the Terrace Cafe buffet & Waves being open was the GDR also open? If so, do you remember the hours as we have the earliest check-in time at 1100 on Regatta at the end of September.

No, GDR not open on embarkation day, this cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Toscana

Shared a dinner with a lovely Australian couple from north of Brisbane.

Yes, The Parmesana Reggiano wheel of cheese is there.  Being the cheese connoisseur that I am, I asked for a plate to be brought to the table. Four large chunks of the Italian king of cheeses! Wonderful taste with that distinctive crunch.

For appetizer I had the trio toscana, very well prepared and presented, and also very rich.  Also, we both had the melinzana involtini, eggplant cooked properly, not chewy, and a very tasty filling.  Also, I had fried calamari, very small thin circles lightly fried, which was very fine, however a small portion.  Yes, I like to eat.

The bread basket was the same as I remember and equally as fine.  The extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar cart was wheeled over.  

We both had osso bucco.  Very tasty, and tenderly braised.  Portion was smaller than previous cruises, and risotto was very runny, and too small a portion.  Risotto on trio was properly prepared.  

Dessert was a surprise for us, an anniversary strawberry shortcake, along with the requisite singing servers!

Overall, a very enjoyable meal.  Will want to return for other choices.

Being an Alaska cruise, Alaskan salmon was served in Toscana and TC.  Other couple wife had it, roasted, said she liked it.  Husband had lamb dish.  2 noisettes, nicely prepared and presented, but again a smaller portion.  Said he liked it.

Hope I'm not boring you with the food descriptions, but remember, "Finest Cuisine at Sea"!

Edited by FetaCheese
Clarity
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

GDR Dinner 

1st dinner experience in GDR was much different than 2 breakfasts and 1 lunch.

Went around 7:30.  Taken to 2 top, no waiting.  Was nearly full.  Seemed to be understaffed with waiters.  Our waiter was very nice, trying his best, but was, in my opinion, not well trained, along with a few others in our section of GDR.  This was born out by my observation, several times, of our area manager quietly giving instructions to waiters at their stations.

I will not review entire meal, but just say that portions were smaller, and some items of lower quality.

Jr. Restaurant Manager came by to tell wife that she was in charge of pax special diets, of which wife was one.  There seemed to be a disconnect between our waiter and upper restaurant management re: special diets.  Again, more training needed, as main issue was not understood by our waiter.  At end of meal, we informed the Jr. Rest. Mgr of the problem, who apologized.

Went to TC before dinner for wife to have sushi.  Going forward, I think we'll be having dinner in TC.  Most GDR items also in TC, plus grilled to order items, and more and better cheese selection.

Overall, I would rate 1st GDR dinner as a slight disappointment, compared to prior O cruises, when we went to GDR dinners almost every night.

Edited by FetaCheese
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jr. Restaurant Manager came by to tell wife that she was in charge of pax special diets, of which wife was one.  There seemed to be a disconnect between our waiter and upper restaurant management re: special diets.

When I had the special  meal 

When checking in at the podium  the  Hostess  would  see a note & pull the pre filled in menu & give it to the Waiter 

Do they no longer do this ??

I would get the menu 1 or 2 days prior to check off what I wanted 

GDR Dinner 

1st dinner experience in GDR was much different than 2 breakfasts and 1 lunch.

Went around 7:30.  Taken to 2 top, no waiting.  Was nearly full.  Seemed to be understaffed with waiters.  Our waiter was very nice, trying his best, but was, in my opinion, not well trained, along with a few others in our section of GDR.  This was born out by my observation, several times, of our area manager quietly giving instructions to waiters at their stations.

I will not review entire meal, but just say that portions were smaller, and some items of lower quality.

Jr. Restaurant Manager came by to tell wife that she was in charge of pax special diets, of which wife was one.  There seemed to be a disconnect between our waiter and upper restaurant management re: special diets.  Again, more training needed, as main issue was not understood by our waiter.  At end of meal, we informed the Jr. Rest. Mgr of the problem, who apologized.

Went to TC before dinner for wife to have sushi.  Going forward, I think we'll be having dinner in TC.  Most GDR items also in TC, plus grilled to order items, and more and better cheese selection.

Overall, I would rate 1st GDR dinner as a slight disappointment, compared to prior O cruises, when we went to GDR dinners almost every night.

FWIW: we eat most meals in the Terrace Café - mostly the same food as the GDR plus other items and all in a casual atmosphere. We’ll do occasional breakfast/lunch in the GDR and also specific menu dinners like Thanksgiving, Beef Wellington and invited officer dinners.

Admittedly, there’s a lot of new wait staff on this cruise- not uncommon as the industry is still in a “return to service” mode. 

• Like 4

Entertainment

String Quartet.  4 young Ukrainian musicians, exceptionally talented.  2 Violin is, viola and cello.  Leader, 1st violin is very personable.  Group is very tight, with very fine pitch.  Name is Arco d'oro.  Plays in upper hall a couple times a day, in addition to Horizons Aft. Tea.  Very enjoyable.

Showroom band.  Also very talented.  Pianist, 2 guitars, clarinet, drummer.  Backed the nightly shows. 

5 young singers/dancers.  2 boys, 3 girls.  Very fine performers.  1st show was Broadway songs, 2nd Gimme some Loving.  Both very fine performances.  Just 1 show, 9:30.  

Magician.  In our opinion, an average show.

Have not heard Martinis pianist.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

When I had the special  meal 

When checking in at the podium  the  Hostess  would  see a note & pull the pre filled in menu & give it to the Waiter 

Do they no longer do this ??

I would get the menu 1 or 2 days prior to check off what I wanted 

Yes, still do this, but last night, they did not have wife's pre-selected menu choices. Was not given to waiter at podium, had to search for it when at table.  Next day's dinner menu, only, delivered to cabin nite before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1