Live From Regatta 07 Sept. - 20 Sept. 2023 Alaska to California Medley - Vancouver to LA

FetaCheese

LAX to YVR:

AA flight departed on time, and arrived about 20 min. early into YVR.  The airport is huge, very modern, with lots and lots of walking to get to the customs area.  Can't really remember but we must have gone up and down levels a couple of times, before reaching the customs area.

A huge Hall with electronic kiosks. They are super advanced with customs.  Self serve electronic kiosks that scan your passport, take photo, and asks all the standard questions.  Prints a receipt with name and photo, that you just hand to an officer on the way out.  Very very cool.  Must have been about 200 kiosks available.  No waiting.

Luggage arrived -- yeah !  Lots of luggage trolleys around that were free to use.  Then more walking and walking up and down levels to find the ground transportation area.

We went to the information desk and spoke with an extremely helpful representative who called our hotel to order the shuttle for us.  However, the shuttle would not be available, so the hotel desk clerk said for us to take the Richmond Taxi, and the hotel would reimburse me. And that's what we did, and that's what the hotel did.  Staying at the Holiday Inn Express Riverport Richmond, about 20 minutes from the airport.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

LAX to YVR:

AA flight departed on time, and arrived about 20 min. early into YVR.  The airport is huge, very modern, with lots and lots of walking to get to the customs area.  Can't really remember but we must have gone up and down levels a couple of times, before reaching the customs area.

A huge Hall with electronic kiosks. They are super advanced with customs.  Self serve electronic kiosks that scan your passport, take photo, and asks all the standard questions.  Prints a receipt with name and photo, that you just hand to an officer on the way out.  Very very cool.  Must have been about 200 kiosks available.  No waiting.

Luggage arrived -- yeah !  Lots of luggage trolleys around that were free to use.  Then more walking and walking up and down levels to find the ground transportation area.

I think our airports like to make sure you get enough exercise  LOL

In Toronto it is just as bad  up down  around & down again 

Enjoy the cruise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CCBB said:

A question for all experienced cruisers in / out of the LA World Cruise Center Berth 93, do you think a 12:45 pm departure flight is ok? I suppose to minimize the risks, we can carry our own luggage and go for early disembarkation. But can we order an Uber that can take us to LAX by, say, 10 am? We are flying back to Canada. 

I would be comfortable with this but it won’t leave a lot of contingency time should anything go wrong, like late arrival of the ship or especially slow CBP processing both of which can of course happen.  

• Thanks 1

Feta you are off to a great start! That  1min connection at LAX , what are the chances?! Enjoy! 

I know you are embarking in CA, but curious if you have to present a negative Covid test. I was looking at our boarding pass for the 9/27 cruise out of LA and it mentions that on the boarding pass. I’m going to assume it just covers them if any regulations change. 

Edited by bobolz

58 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think our airports like to make sure you get enough exercise  LOL

In Toronto it is just as bad  up down  around & down again 

Enjoy the cruise

I think I lost 3 pounds going from Gate to Gate in YYZ

• Haha 3

Just now, techteach said:

@bobolz The boarding pass says, “if required for your sailing…a negative Covid-19 test result.”

Thanks techteach. yes I saw that and assume it is not required for our sailing, however, the other “check in” section of the document does not specifically state  “if required” . I’m going to assume it’s not required since I have not seen one post recently mentioning Covid tests required at check in. Thanks 

1 hour ago, techteach said:

@bobolz The boarding pass says, “if required for your sailing…a negative Covid-19 test result.”

54 minutes ago, techteach said:

I think there would be an email if it was required because it would be a big change.

Well, I can tell you from personal experience that

A: the boarding pass language (i.e., test results “if required”) is crystal clear. 

B: Oceania does no longer necessarily sends out emails that say anything about specific test requirements other than its own.

C:There may be far more “authorities” with Health requirements/restrictions than you realize.

We embarked from SYD earlier this year and our documentation (boarding passes et al.) had the “if required” testing language along with the warning that it is the passengers’ responsibility to comply with any Covid restrictions/requirements imposed by appropriate authorities. 

At that time, O did not have a testing requirement (nor did our air carrier, United).

An Aussie here on CC posted a reminder about multiple authorities in OZ and we decided to check the Public Health authority websites of every possible regulatory entity we might encounter.

Australia had no testing requirement at that time. New South Wales had no testing requirement and neither did the City of Sydney (in general). However, the Port of Sydney had a testing requirement of all embarking cruise ship passengers. 

We were among those who followed what the O boarding pass stated, did the research and had our negative test proof on hand. But, plenty of folks didn’t pay attention to the O warning and were very surprised when they entered the terminal and were asked for their test results. Somewhat fortunately for them, there was pierside tests available (at approx. $90 per person). But, fortunately for the rest of us, those who then tested positive were denied boarding.

2 hours ago, bobolz said:

Feta you are off to a great start! That  1min connection at LAX , what are the chances?! Enjoy! 

I know you are embarking in CA, but curious if you have to present a negative Covid test. I was looking at our boarding pass for the 9/27 cruise out of LA and it mentions that on the boarding pass. I’m going to assume it just covers them if any regulations change. 

Thanks, what are the odds of a connecting flight at the next gate?

Edited by FetaCheese
Edit

YVR is a beautiful and modern airport. It can be challenging in and out with customs. Just FYI. 
Lax Uber can also be challenging. It used to be that they could not pull into the terminal to meet you at individual airline curbside locations. This was pre Covid. So it required some time and some walking. You might want to check into that as I do not know if it is still the case. 
Have a fantastic journey! Looking forward to following along!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiseLibra said:

All ride share and taxis at LAX have been moved offsite. Look for the curbside shuttles which will take you to the Uber/Lyft lot. The ride is only about 10 minutes. 

“The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only.

There is no stopping in the red zone.”

”The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only.

There is no stopping in the white zone.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

“The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only.

There is no stopping in the red zone.”

”The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only.

There is no stopping in the white zone.”

If you don’t think of that whenever you enter an airport there is something wrong with you  😄

• Haha 4

@FetaCheese Today is the day.  You waited a very long time.  You asked great questions.  You did everything  you could to make sure this experience could be as good as it could be. Much information was not always easy to gain. But you stuck with it.  Now, you get that feeling we all are addicted too.  Hard to describe to those that have never cruised.  

• Waking up on Embarkment Day: Could not sleep the night before.  Excited and worried all at the same time. 
  • Breakfast: Never really great but good for passing the time until you go to the port.  
  • Port Check-In: Getting the $20.00 bill ready in your hand when you drop off your luggage. Will it be a mess, crowded or pleasant.  Will you have to do what you already did online yet again.
  • The WALK from the PORT to the Ship:  This is my favorite part.  I can't get enough of the feeling.  My wife and friends walk fast and don't understand why I am walking slowly.  
  • Gaining Another Specialty Restaurant Reservation: You choose a restaurant and see if you can get a nice time for that evening.  Your other four reservations have been in stone for a while. 
  • Muster Drill: It is quick, painless and the video is a boring as ever. 
  • Lunch on the Deck with your first Drink: How many times have you pictured this in your mind.

You deserve all of this and more.  Everyone does.  Going on a really nice cruise is like buying a home.  Not financially, just the waiting time.  You buy the cruise, wait as long as 2 years and the cruise happens.  You buy a home have to wait months before you can closes.  I would much prefer one day to make it like buying a car.  You go in at 2:00 PM and leave with your new car at 04:00 PM.  However, all those months, you can find out how to make your cruise as good as it can be and there is something to be said about that.

Enjoy your cruise, focus on the experience.  When you come home, or when you have a moment, share the joy.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@FetaCheese Today is the day.  You waited a very long time.  You asked great questions.  You did everything  you could to make sure this experience could be as good as it could be. Much information was not always easy to gain. But you stuck with it.  Now, you get that feeling we all are addicted too.  Hard to describe to those that have never cruised.  

• Waking up on Embarkment Day: Could not sleep the night before.  Excited and worried all at the same time. 
  • Breakfast: Never really great but good for passing the time until you go to the port.  
  • Port Check-In: Getting the $20.00 bill ready in your hand when you drop off your luggage. Will it be a mess, crowded or pleasant.  Will you have to do what you already did online yet again.
  • The WALK from the PORT to the Ship:  This is my favorite part.  I can't get enough of the feeling.  My wife and friends walk fast and don't understand why I am walking slowly.  
  • Gaining Another Specialty Restaurant Reservation: You choose a restaurant and see if you can get a nice time for that evening.  Your other four reservations have been in stone for a while. 
  • Muster Drill: It is quick, painless and the video is a boring as ever. 
  • Lunch on the Deck with your first Drink: How many times have you pictured this in your mind.

You deserve all of this and more.  Everyone does.  Going on a really nice cruise is like buying a home.  Not financially, just the waiting time.  You buy the cruise, wait as long as 2 years and the cruise happens.  You buy a home have to wait months before you can closes.  I would much prefer one day to make it like buying a car.  You go in at 2:00 PM and leave with your new car at 04:00 PM.  However, all those months, you can find out how to make your cruise as good as it can be and there is something to be said about that.

Enjoy your cruise, focus on the experience.  When you come home, or when you have a moment, share the joy.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

@Sthrngary

Thanks Gary.  Very enjoyable summary of cruise planning, and lead up to the 1st day.  Excellent sentiments.

We could sleep, due to waking at 2:30 am yesterday, and flying in from Philly.  Had a nice dinner at a local Italian place within walking distance from hotel.

Getting ready for breakfast, then Uber over to cruise port!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 5:50 PM, FetaCheese said:

Staying at the Holiday Inn Express Riverport Richmond, about 20 minutes from the airport.

2 hours ago, CCBB said:

Which hotel did you stay? Would you  recommend it?

Right at the end of that post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Embarkation day.

Checked out of hotel. Ordered uber, and it was there in about 4 min. That was the easy part. The Uber directions took us to Canada Place, however told us to go underground which was not the correct underground area.  About a 10-minute waste of time to get back out.

We exited underground in front of the Pan Pacific hotel. I decided to ask the bellman outside where the cruise passengers are to be dropped off. He pointed us to the Pan Pacific hotel's underground garage. There were no signs indicating where Cruise passengers are to be dropped off. I should say that we did arrive a little early, around 10:00 a.m.

We did finally arrive to the luggage drop off station underground. A porter took our luggage and we were off to find the check-in area.  More of the up and down and all around, due to the lack of accurate signage. We were a few minutes early and the check-in time was to begin at 11:00 a.m.

We went through security. Because we would be leaving Canada and entering the United States at our first port, there was a US customs and border protection pre-clearance station.  That procedure also featured electronic check-in kiosks for US customs. Very similar to that which the Vancouver airport had. So we knew how to do it. Next step was to be interviewed and photographed by a customs and border protection agent. All went well, and we then checked in and boarded the ship.  (I should add that I don't remember the exact order of the above procedures, because there were so many steps to go through, but security was definitely 1st!).

The cabins were not going to be ready until 1:30 p.m., so we went to the terrace Cafe and had lunch. I must say that it was the same Oceania quality that I had experienced pre-C.  Service was also very fine. 

Internet was not available until morning of day 2.  Database issues.

Dinner was in TC, again of excellent quality and service.  While I did not eat any feta cheese yet, I must say that the cheese boards at both lunch and dinner included both  imported and domestic cheeses.  All were of excellent quality, and to my delight and satisfaction.

Today is a Sea day, with all the standard events and.  GDR is open for lunch. 

More later...

• Like 4

Tonight is the captain's welcome aboard toast in the Regatta lounge. Complimentary drinks will be served in Horizons and the martini bar between 6:00 and 8:00 p.m.

We have a reservation for Toscana tonight at 8:00 p.m., sharing.  I will report back after the meal.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, CCBB said:

Which hotel did you stay? Would you  recommend it?

Yes, I liked the hotel, very clean, comfortable rooms.  Staff  very friendly and helpful.  Hot Breakfast, included, was better than expected.  

Upon arrival, during check-in, I presented my taxi receipt for reimbursement.  Was a fixed fare, CAD $34.  No problem, gave me cash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Is this  something new?

No, a special case.  Hotel advertised a free YVR to hotel shuttle.  Upon arrival at YVR, hotel could not provide shuttle, so told us to take Richmond taxi, pay for it, then hotel would reimburse me.

See my prior post #51 re:  LAX to YVR.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info
  • Like 1