Live From Regatta 07 Sept. - 20 Sept. 2023 Alaska to California Medley - Vancouver to LA

FetaCheese

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from FetaCheese! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

FetaCheese was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Hello,

Starting this topic a few days early.  Please ask any questions.  Last O cruise was in 2019 on Insignia.  Will endeavor to post comments and photos, but will depend on internet, and having time to post, as this is a fairly port intensive cruise, offering much natural beauty.  We have experienced some 45 cruises, beginning over 40 years ago, but 1st time to Alaska.  

To other pax:  please post what you can and/or want.  I started a live from on last V, a TA in Dec. 2022, and enjoyed doing it, and reading other pax comments, as well as responding to questions from anyone following along.

Now in final stage of packing.  We are eager to experience O again, this being our 5th.  Booked a GTY (not yet assigned), was on ESS, and has been waitlisted since shortly thereafter.

Flying into YVR a day early, for all the obvious reasons.  No direct or non-stop service from PHL.  Our connection at LAX is tight, only about 1 hr. 15 min.  AA both legs, so hoping the gates (also not yet assigned) are close to each other.  1st time at LAX.

Looking forward to meeting others.  Roll call has been active.  One gracious pax has organized a M&M, with about 40 signed up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for starting this topic. I will be adding to it.

We were offered a concierge level and although there are really few benefits, for 200pp we took it. Went from a b2 to an A1.

For the second leg, we have an inside guarantee,  not yet assigned. Will post what we end up having.

Originally only going with carry ons, we have been doing that for the past 3 cruises, even a 14 day TA. But this is a 20 day  with two totally different climates, so we added a small suitcase.

Flying on the day, direct, air canada, 5 hours, leave at 7, arrive at 9.

That's it for now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’re onboard Regatta now and will be on for your segment too.

All is well. Food great, no major issues, The GM is Gabriel Ovesea - ultra-competent.

Captain is O’s best - Giulio Ressa.

Can’t remember if anyone’s handling a Meet and Greet for this upcoming segment.

PS: The fishing is great (and so are the bears).

E3F71833-C912-44F2-85DE-F909F9DD68DC.jpeg

4C85D3A0-6C08-4564-B4F7-9F21347EE054.jpeg

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 7

Sadly, the current Regatta segment’s award winning trivia team (The Evil Geniuses) is dissolving in Vancouver. I’m the only one continuing on. So, if anyone else, who knows trivia for the “blood sport” it really is (just kidding), wants to keep our team going from Vancouver to L.A., let me know and we can connect at the M&G. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Feta for starting  this thread and your willingness to share your experience with us all. We are on the 2nd LA to LA itinerary and this is our 2nd  cruise on the regatta, with the first time being 2004. I’m looking forward to seeing the changes in person and hearing your opinions.  I see you are also flying out of PHL to LAX on AA, although you are only connecting , would like to hear how that goes for you. hope connections go smoothly. 

safe travels and enjoy!

• Thanks 1

@FetaCheese If I hand you a stone with cuneiform on it, will you post my thoughts too? JK...we're suffering along with a single laptop and logon, but I can probably wrest it out of the spouse's control long enough to chime in between Baristas visits (online gaming just doesn't have the same pull as it does on land). 

The promised rain has added a checked bag (really just an expanded carry-on) full of boots, coats, and swim suits 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sadly, the current Regatta segment’s award winning trivia team (The Evil Geniuses) is dissolving in Vancouver. I’m the only one continuing on. So, if anyone else, who knows trivia for the “blood sport” it really is (just kidding), wants to keep our team going from Vancouver to L.A., let me know and we can connect at the M&G. 

I do enjoy trivia, if pax are not too rabid.  Remember, it's only a game !

• Haha 1

We’re looking forward to our first O cruise after many days on Princess and were originally booked on this 20 day itinerary. We had to rebook & have an interior guarantee cabin on the 7-day Regatta sailing on 9/27. Looking forward to vicariously sailing with those of you on this cruise to learn more about an O cruise.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

We’re looking forward to our first O cruise after many days on Princess and were originally booked on this 20 day itinerary. We had to rebook & have an interior guarantee cabin on the 7-day Regatta sailing on 9/27. Looking forward to vicariously sailing with those of you on this cruise to learn more about an O cruise.

You will be waiting for your cabin assignment along with John Thomas, who is on for the 20-day voyage.  He has a cabin assignment for the first 13 days, but not for the 7 days.

We are all packed, ready and waiting to go. We have a 4:15 a.m. Uber pickup scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info
  • Like 1

Just now, julia said:

Thx for taking us along...  we're boarding in San Pedro on the 20th!

I would like to hear about anyone's experience with Ubering to LAX at the end of your cruise please? I will check back here and ask....  thx!

Yes, planning to use Uber to LAX.  It's far from port.  Found out O transfer is $69 pp.

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

We need to get to LAX from Port in LA.

Is supershuttle easier, less expensive than Uber?

Will search to try to find cost of Super Shuttle.  Did a mock booking on Uber, about $65 for ride, not pp.

Uber - private, O and shuttle not.  I don't fancy being herded onto large coaches.

8 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Will search to try to find cost of Super Shuttle.  Did a mock booking on Uber, about $65 for ride, not pp.

Uber - private, O and shuttle not.  I don't fancy being herded onto large coaches.

You can also look at Execucar (division of Super Shuttle that does private transfers).

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Just checked -- Super Shuttle port to LAX $68.70 up to 3 pax, 3 total pieces luggage.

Will most likely take Uber.  Always had fairly good experiences.

• Like 1