The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 5th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Be Late for Something Day, Cheese Pizza Day, and International Day of Charity

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.--Mahatma Gandhi

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Skillet Neapolitan Margherita Pizza
Drink of the Day - Glasgow Seelbach
Wine of the Day - 2020 King Stag Pinot Noir
Destination of the Day - Trieste, Italy

Today in History:
1958 1st color video recording on magnetic tape presented, Charlotte, North Carolina

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska, Icy Strait Point, Alaska 0700-1600,1800-2200

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0830-1830

Nieuw Statendam

Kristiansand, Norway 0700-1600

Noordam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1500

Oosterdam

Sarande, Albania 0800-1700

Rotterdam

Lerwick, Shetland Isles 1000-1800

Volendam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 09-06

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 1300-2100

Zaandam

Baie-Comeau, Quebec 0700-1600

Zuiderdam

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island 0900-1730

0905World.thumb.png.34e0d520579da20a9b51332bd01d810a.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 18

For those of you who live in Maryland, please be careful today.  The temperatures are expected to be in the high 90’s/low 100’s.  Stay hydrated.

For the Dailyites in the rest of the world, thank you for posting and giving me a pleasant way to start my day!

Stay Safe, Everyone!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from the Zaandam, thanks for today's report.  It was foggy overnight and the ships horn was loud and clear in our cabin.  We booked an excursion to see some highlights. 

First view when we woke up.

20230905_054419.thumb.jpg.48530c2a0b4feb66686e58f4eac5d1ba.jpg

Early sunrise. 

20230905_061004.thumb.jpg.828cd417f306df7195e2bbc9c0a2c0e6.jpg

Still docking.

20230905_063402.thumb.jpg.fc913842b3d543bf7f57f913a7fed58e.jpg

DM was transferred out of ICU into a regular room.  The doctor will review a loop that was implanted awhile ago yo see if that reveals anything. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 15

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

RMLincoln’s passing of a dear friend on 9/3

Sharon in AZ’s Aunt Betty passing on 8/30

Crazy For Cats’ DM with a fall and hospitalization

Quartzsite Cruiser’s DH’s Neurosurgery appointment today

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina

Canadian/US wildfires; those in the path of Franklin or Idalia 

Shooting victim(s) 

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Cruzin Terri’s cousin post stent, not doing well

Catmando with cancer recurrence, and new medical issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering at home, poor appetite

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage RMLincoln!

Lady Hudson celebrating the birth of a great-grandson, Jalen Alexander!

Mr. Boston in Europe prior to cruising

Live4Cruises’ DH Nicholas doing well after his fall

Mamaofami’s DH Sam home from rehab

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Oceansaway17 (Grand Princess to Sept 8 ), Luvteaching (Westerdam to Sept 10), LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam to Sept 10), HAL4NOW (Zaandam to Sept 13, B2B), Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to Sept 13) and RMLincoln (Norwegian Joy to Sept 20, B2B)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 20

Good morning where it is 65°F and sunny here at 11.40am in NE England.

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

I hope I am not late for my dental appointment today.

I prefer my pizza with more than just cheese on it.

We regularly donate cash and clothes Etc to cancer charities.

Good quote today and nice sounding food.

Trieste like most Italian ports is nice.

I hope everyone is safe and well today.

• Like 30

Be Late For Something Day could be dangerous if you are returning to the ship after all aboard time. On our excursion yesterday a couple in their late eighties didn’t make it back to the bus on time. We waited an extra half hour while a few people were out in the streets of Quebec looking for them. Eventually the tour guide had to make the call to return to the ship. Thankfully the couple found their way back to the ship.

We are just now docking in Baie-Comaeu; the sun is breaking through the marine layer and it looks like it is going to be a beautiful day.

I enjoyed walking around the full promenade this morning; Watching the ripples from the ship while hearing the deep sound of fog horn.

IMG_2036.thumb.jpeg.28ecd23c539ba2e5e0c3f891aff52f23.jpeg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

RMLincoln’s passing of a dear friend on 9/3

Sharon in AZ’s Aunt Betty passing on 8/30

Crazy For Cats’ DM with a fall and hospitalization

Quartzsite Cruiser’s DH’s Neurosurgery appointment today

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina

Canadian/US wildfires; those in the path of Franklin or Idalia 

Shooting victim(s) 

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Cruzin Terri’s cousin post stent, not doing well

Catmando with cancer recurrence, and new medical issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering at home, poor appetite

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage RMLincoln!

Lady Hudson celebrating the birth of a great-grandson, Jalen Alexander!

Mr. Boston in Europe prior to cruising

Live4Cruises’ DH Nicholas doing well after his fall

Mamaofami’s DH Sam home from rehab

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Oceansaway17 (Grand Princess to Sept 8 ), Luvteaching (Westerdam to Sept 10), LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam to Sept 10), HAL4NOW (Zaandam to Sept 13, B2B), Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to Sept 13) and RMLincoln (Norwegian Joy to Sept 20, B2B)

Thank you Vanessa for always supplying excellent lists.

• Like 16

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  I will try not to be late for the eye doctor this morning.  Every day should be Charity day.  I love the Gandhi quote. 

This is a great day to celebrate for film fans.

I have not been anywhere near Trieste.  Sounds like some good news from @Crazy For Cats.

Lots of talk about pizza today.  Sounds nice but not in my plans.  My alternative is Fillet of Beef and cherry crisp a la mode as served on MS Westerdam yesterday.

Roy

• Like 36

Good morning friends!  It's 66 and cloudy and will reach 89 today.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report for Tuesday.  Well, I'm off to a fine start with celebration of Be Late for Something Day.  I woke up 30 minutes late when DH got up to take the trash to the curb.  Therefore I missed my treadmill time slot and will have to do it after I finish here and DH gets off of it.  That's all the lateness I need for the day.  Cheese pizza is fine but I like a little something extra on mine.  International Day of Charity is a fine way to help others.  I love the quote by Gandhi.  The menu suggestion today sounds like cheese pizza on steroids!  No idea about the drink and no thanks to a pinot noir.  Cool information on color recordings back in 1958.  Jake @Crazy For Cats I hope you get some good photos of your interesting port today Baie-Comeau, Quebec.  Same to Tony @HAL4NOW.  Many thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports!

Prayers for all on the Care list and even those not shown there.  We all have our trials and worries even if we don't express them.  Praying for that miracle for Baby Murphy.  Hoping for improvement for all ailing including Jake's DM @Crazy For Cats.  Cheers to our Celebration list folks.  Bon Voyage to Maureen @RMLincoln and DH as they sail today!  Thanks to Chuck @catmando for posting the photos yesterday and sharing a photo of himself and Annie @marshhawk.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for the excellent list today! 

The port this morning is Trieste, Italy, the replacement for Venice.  We had Trieste once before on Sept. 20, 2022.  I have not been there yet having only ported in Venice.  We have had Venice as our port 3 times before but I will only be posting the link to Trieste.  Let's give it a chance.  I'm sure it's a lovely spot too!

Hope you all experience a great day.  Stay safe and well!

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Glasgow Seelbach cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Auchentoshan® American Oak Single Malt Scotch Whisky
1/2 part Grand Marnier®
7 dashes Angostura® Bitters
7 dashes Peychaud's® Bitters
Champagne
Lemon Twist

Instructions
Place everything except champagne in a mixing glass with ice and stir. Strain into flute.Top with champagne. Garnish with a lemon twist.

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 6.59.19 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another hot one here today, could get to 40C with the humidex, that's about 104F.

It's the first day of school, a whole new year.

I don't like being late, I like more than cheese on my pizza and charity is extremely important.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing recipes.

I'll pass on the drink, but might like the wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great day!

• Like 33

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! It was a gorgeous 67 degrees this morning, when Bindi & I went out. Venus in the East & Jupiter almost directly above were bright in the sky - though Venus was showing off a bit more bling. Yesterday was another lovely day, so selfish me would like more of the same today. 

Vanessa thank you for being so diligent in keeping up with all of us.  I need to get out in the yard while the weather is great. Bindi can come with me, though she does not help - at all! Tonight I am going out to dinner with friends and then I need to pick up the wine I ordered from my local wine bar at last month’s wine tasting. We might just need to enjoy a glass of wine while there. 

IMG_1718.jpeg.8c3e550016cd2fe364584a1927c6b2f1.jpeg

IMG_1717.jpeg.797594d7a4414be690f83ddf028b733a.jpeg

IMG_1716.jpeg.1b7ff63e0103a2ff21dc8181a8e04f2f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @Crazy For Cats Jake, I am praying that your Mom improves and soon returns home. Difficult in the best circumstances, doubly so when you are not there.

Cheers to all who are celebrating. @RMLincoln Bon Voyage, Maureen!

Get well & stay well, please!

2020 King Stag Pinot Noir

I have tried this PN and though tasty, it is a bit too light for me. But it would be perfect for one of our intense heat advisory days, when you really want a red. Oddly enough the most informative distributor is in Australia, but you can pick up this wine at your local Publix. Online prices start at $18.79.

Distributor notes 

A wonderful example of modern Californian Pinot Noir - soft, gentle and easy-going, with no trace of harsh tannins or alcohol burn... as many richer Californian styles can exhibit. This is all red fruit and silk, with just a hint of oak guiding things along. Look out for strawberry and plum and a generous texture. Great stuff.

California is relegated to third largest state in terms of size by Texas and Alaska, but reigns supreme when it comes to wine production! Not only do they produce more than 90% of all wine made in the USA but they produce more than 30% more than all of Australia put together! This wine comes from the oversight of parent company Winery Exchange, created in 1999 with the sole purpose of finding great vineyards and turning them into modern, approachable wines that people around the world will love. Their portfolio of wines includes the King Stag label - classic Californian wines that balance fruit and elegance - but also has labels such as Foodies, FJ Serra and Arrow Creek. Winemaking is overseen by Juan Cerna, a native Californian with roots in the Salinas Valley. After graduating from UC Santa Cruz with a degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology he found his passion for winemaking while working at various wineries across California, and is now seen as something of an expert in central Californian vineyards.

PRIMARY FLAVORS

CHERRY

PLUM

RASPBERRY

FRESH SAGE

HYACINTH

VANILLA BEAN

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 6

Good Morning to all the Dailyites.

Happy Tuesday—the day after Labor Day and for many children out there, the day they return to school.

Interesting Days—I do not like being late.  DH, OTOH, is hardly ever on time.  Cheese pizza, is there any other?  That is the way I like it.  International Charity.  We need more of that.  The world would be a better place.

I like the quote from Gandhi.

I am waiting for Debbie’s recipes.  This sounds like something I could make.  Hope it is not too complicated.

Wine sounds good.

Have not been t Trieste.  However, I will be going to Venice as part of our three city Italy whirlwind tour prior to boarding the Sirena in November.

Today I have t o drive DH to the Dentist on Hilton Head for his six-month visit.  Since we are there we decided we will go out for a late lunch/dinner at a nice Seafood Restaurant.  For people who hardly ever eat out, we are going out twice in a week. 

So glad our floors are finished and everything (well almost everything) is put back together. 

Prayers for all especially Baby Murphy.  Hoping for a miracle.

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Have a great day everyone.

God Bless

Terri

• Like 34

@RMLincoln  Bon Voyage!  🍾🛳️

@Crazy For Cats thanks for the update on your DM.   I hope she continues to improve.  Enjoy your cruise.   

Good morning everyone.   Thanks for the Daily reports @richwmn.   I give to charity yearly at the end of the year as needed for other appeals.  The only thing I can be late for is finishing cooking dinner today.   I hope our boat guy is not late today.  We are pulling it out of the lake and he is shrink wrapping it.   We are also getting our rolling dock out of the lake for season.  In lieu of the pizza we will have a salad of tomatoes with Mozzarella.   A very good quote by Gandhi.   No pizza for us pass on the bitter cocktail and the wine.   Looking forward to photos of Trieste.  

Thanks @JazzyVfor keeping our cares list updated.  Continued prayers for Baby Murphy and her family that are going through very tough times, @marshhawk prayers for your husband as he battles cancer, @smitty34877 prayers for your DH.  Prayers for everyone needing them and the people of Ukraine and Maui.  

Vanessa you mentioned yesterday about my workload.  It is this way at the end of our season here every year.  I could start all the cleanup earlier but we are cutting blooming plants right now and I hate to take them down so early.  I leave a lot, more so this year because there is so much insect activity on them.  The Monarchs remained here as of yesterday.  As I was hand cutting back Daylilies yesterday in the 90 degree heat it made it easier to think about our upcoming long voyage on the Eurodam next January.   It will be here before we know it.  Have a nice day everyone.  Nancy 

IMG_20230904_094600287.jpg

IMG_20230903_103559950_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230904_130145360_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230904_084028479_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230904_130206744_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230904_084151171_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230904_084054774_HDR.jpg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. The heat and humidity  are stifling even this early in the day.It will be this way until Thursday or Friday.

I am very rarely late and I become quite anxious about it if the possibility  exists.We have not been to Trieste .Pizza is always popular in this house.The best pizza I ever had was in Rome.Yes, even better than NY.

Once again I was awake at 3 for no good reason. How did everyone  else fare last night?

Today the PT comes but I think it will be too hot to walk outside.DH has gone out almost every  day since her last visit to practice stairs and walk short distances.

@Quartzsite Cruiser. Lenda, I hope the appointment  goes well today.

@catmando,Thanks for the great pictures

@Crazy For Cats, Glad to hear things  are improving  for mom.

Have a great day everyone 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! We had cheese pizza last night - but then threw a few more things on before it hit the oven. We have no appointments today, so I’ll have to pass on being late. My main plans today involve housework. It will wait patiently for me no matter how late I try to be.

Prayers to all on the care list, and thanks to @richwmn for the R&D and to all who contribute.

Happy Tuesday, everyone, and enjoy the day!

• Like 28

Good morning, everyone!  

It is quiet in the house this morning and I'll have to get used to that again.  It will be hot here today with a forecast of 90F.  Tomorrow we will get some relief and then temps go down to a comfortable range.  

Today's meal is one you can easily adapt to your tastes.  I like my pizzas loaded with stuff and could do that with these recipes.  You can be all into it and make your own crust or you can use a pre made crust  you buy at the grocery store.  It is all up to you!  This one is really easy - premade crust and premade sauce.  Ready in 5 minutes. https://www.aheadofthyme.com/easy-skillet-neapolitan-margherita-pizza/

margheritapizza1.thumb.jpg.c2940723dfc7424aff598ce7207e1ed5.jpg

This one sounds dangerous to make!  It says no oven needed, but I think I'd rather use the oven that get the blow torch out.   https://www.seriouseats.com/skillet-neapolitan-pizza-no-kneading-or-oven-recipe

margheritapizza2.jpg.9371ec72c8f398d35107a1612e072cda.jpg

Here's a pepperoni version for those who want meat on their pizza.  I'm sure you can add the veggies you want as well.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/cast-iron-pizza-5428725

margheritapizza4.thumb.jpeg.07e9efb4c8f5929cc22427d78e2e029a.jpeg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

I was so anxious about not being late for taking trash out that I slept fitfully and woke much earlier than necessary. Cheese pizza is OK with me and Margherita pizza even better, but neither is in the immediate future. Tomatoes and mozzarella would be attractive--it will be hot today--but I'd have to go out to get mozzarella, and dinner last night was salad (greens from the farmers' market) and cheddar.

The original Seelbach cocktail, the signature drink at the Seelbach Hotel in Louisville, is of course made with bourbon. It has a history that is probably fabricated, claiming that it's a rediscovered recipe from before Prohibition. Today's version is made with Scotch, and Glasgow is not too misleading since Auchentoshan is in the Glasgow region. A few years ago I was on a cruise with a Scotswoman who strongly disliked Highland and Island whiskies and had a low opinion of western Lowland whisky, too; for her, whisky had to be from Speyside.

The wine would be OK, or Ravines Pinot Noir 2020 from Seneca Lake. I haven't been to Trieste -- a few years ago I took a ride on the Südbahn from Vienna in memory of a friend who had escaped that way to Trieste and a ship in 1939, but I didn't cross the border.

laughingwithat.thumb.jpg.d23e7f7bf5528784397861379ae05455.jpg

• Like 24
  • Haha 7

Good morning from a warm and humid central Texas.  It is 80F out and feels like 87F already.  While there is an 11 mph wind the humidity is 84% with a dew point of 75F.  The predicted high is 104F.  I'm pretty sure I'll be skipping my walk today because of the humidity.  This west Texas girl has never gotten used to humidity.

Today may be late for something day, but for us, it is not a day to be late.  As Terry @smitty34877 said in her post, we have a very important appointment today with the surgeon to see when DH can have the much needed shunt placed.  When we saw the nurse practioner two weeks ago, she was going to try to schedule the surgery by the end of August or the first of this month.  So far, we have not heard anything from UTSW about that.  I'm just glad she advised us not to cancel this appointment.  We always try to be on time or early anyway.

Cheese pizza is okay if it is really a Margarita pizza, but we generally put more toppings on our pizzas.  We try to donate unwanted items to charities here and in Quartzsite.

The Mahatma Gandhi quote is very good.

The meal might be good and easy. We'll pass on the drink, but I think I would like the wine.

We have not been to Trieste, but not for a lack of trying.  In 2019 while on Veendam, we booked a ship excursion from Rijeka to Trieste.  The tour was canceled because the operator could not guarantee we'd be back at the ship in time due to backups and delays at the border crossing between Italy and Croatia.

The first color recording magnetic tape changed people's viewing habits.

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from the Zaandam, thanks for today's report.  It was foggy overnight and the ships horn was loud and clear in our cabin.  We booked an excursion to see some highlights. 

First view when we woke up.

20230905_054419.thumb.jpg.48530c2a0b4feb66686e58f4eac5d1ba.jpg

Early sunrise. 

20230905_061004.thumb.jpg.828cd417f306df7195e2bbc9c0a2c0e6.jpg

Still docking.

20230905_063402.thumb.jpg.fc913842b3d543bf7f57f913a7fed58e.jpg

DM was transferred out of ICU into a regular room.  The doctor will review a loop that was implanted awhile ago yo see if that reveals anything. 

Jake, that is good news your DM has been transferred to a regular room.  Sending positive thoughts for a quick and full recovery.  Thanks for the pictures.

1 hour ago, HAL4NOW said:

Be Late For Something Day could be dangerous if you are returning to the ship after all aboard time. On our excursion yesterday a couple in their late eighties didn’t make it back to the bus on time. We waited an extra half hour while a few people were out in the streets of Quebec looking for them. Eventually the tour guide had to make the call to return to the ship. Thankfully the couple found their way back to the ship.

We are just now docking in Baie-Comaeu; the sun is breaking through the marine layer and it looks like it is going to be a beautiful day.

I enjoyed walking around the full promenade this morning; Watching the ripples from the ship while hearing the deep sound of fog horn.

IMG_2036.thumb.jpeg.28ecd23c539ba2e5e0c3f891aff52f23.jpeg

Tony, I hope the weather clears and you enjoy your day in Baie-Comaeu.

32 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good Morning to all the Dailyites.

Happy Tuesday—the day after Labor Day and for many children out there, the day they return to school.

Interesting Days—I do not like being late.  DH, OTOH, is hardly ever on time.  Cheese pizza, is there any other?  That is the way I like it.  International Charity.  We need more of that.  The world would be a better place.

I like the quote from Gandhi.

I am waiting for Debbie’s recipes.  This sounds like something I could make.  Hope it is not too complicated.

Wine sounds good.

Have not been t Trieste.  However, I will be going to Venice as part of our three city Italy whirlwind tour prior to boarding the Sirena in November.

Today I have t o drive DH to the Dentist on Hilton Head for his six-month visit.  Since we are there we decided we will go out for a late lunch/dinner at a nice Seafood Restaurant.  For people who hardly ever eat out, we are going out twice in a week. 

So glad our floors are finished and everything (well almost everything) is put back together. 

Prayers for all especially Baby Murphy.  Hoping for a miracle.

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Have a great day everyone.

God Bless

Terri

Terri, you and your DH deserve another meal out after the last few weeks.

11 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. The heat and humidity  are stifling even this early in the day.It will be this way until Thursday or Friday.

I am very rarely late and I become quite anxious about it if the possibility  exists.We have not been to Trieste .Pizza is always popular in this house.The best pizza I ever had was in Rome.Yes, even better than NY.

Once again I was awake at 3 for no good reason. How did everyone  else fare last night?

Today the PT comes but I think it will be too hot to walk outside.DH has gone out almost every  day since her last visit to practice stairs and walk short distances.

@Quartzsite Cruiser. Lenda, I hope the appointment  goes well today.

@catmando,Thanks for the great pictures

@Crazy For Cats, Glad to hear things  are improving  for mom.

Have a great day everyone 

Terry, thanks for the good wishes.  We need all we can get since things move slowly at UTSW.  I hope your DH has a good PT session.

12 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thank you.  Already packing — 9/14 on Vision of the Seas.  14 days to Greenland and Canada.  Twin sister going also — we are a group of 5.  

Oops!  😱  I guess I should try to only think about one thing at a time.  It's @RMLincoln who is sailing today.  Anyway, a very early BON VOYAGE.

349541494_1005281447575577_7372967389530208977_n.jpg.a60de798aa8c19559af481c14461a55f.jpg

349587183_635885868058386_6933585127471743042_n.jpg.20f79c852aa3880528b35c63fdf7af21.jpg

350137986_3439034509685222_3623191174712747357_n.thumb.jpg.c8e1863c585e8a196251f21a7d085984.jpg

351550735_1430544334387928_626042584399825958_n.thumb.jpg.1de86a46c1b66e12855d58dd025ca21b.jpg

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 16