Formal attire

There is no dress code on rccl , or if there is it isn’t enforced, I used to wear a tux on formal stopped that more than 5 years ago , you will see a few people dressed formally but it is rare . I am glad we have dozens of free pictures of us in formal wear, wife still dresses up , I don’t ever wear a sports jacket.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, TangerineWillow said:

If ai see anyone in the mdr in shorts I will ask they be removed, go,to the buffet

I've had a tablemate show up in shorts. I cant imagine going to ask someone to remove him. Wouldnt make for a good table the rest of the cruise.

He did wear nice shorts. He said no lobster, to him not a dress up night. 

Good luck demanding someone be removed who is dressed clean and neat, but in shorts. 

• Like 2

It should really be renamed “photography revenue enhancement night!” Cunard aside, the days of a gentleman in a top hat reaching into one of his 6 steamer trunks for tonight’s tuxedo, never had to deal with todays “lo-cost” airlines baggage policy! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TangerineWillow said:

Been a while since cruising RCL, are formal nights respected or is it a wear what you want evening.Explorer in a few weeks just need to know if I should take a tux

I was on Explorer last month. I didn’t notice many suits and cocktail dresses but people were well dressed. Lots of fashion and designer brands on show. There were more Europeans and less North Americans than any cruise I’ve done, with the exception of sailing out of Southampton. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TangerineWillow said:

If ai see anyone in the mdr in shorts I will ask they be removed, go,to the buffet

Good luck with that.  
Why even ask the question then if you think you know the answer.     

I haven’t worn pants to dinner in more than 10 years.     
just enjoy your dinner and mind your own  business. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Some RC ships use the term Formal, some use Dress to Impress.  DH always wears his tuxedo, as do a few others.  (Nothing to do with photos; not interested.  We just enjoy a special Date Night, a change from being at home.)  Some in suits, some in sport coats, some in dress shirts, some in casual shirts.  Women cover a big range as well, but if anything, tend to dress better than the men.

A young man in a tank top was turned away on a casual night on our last cruise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

I was on Explorer last month. I didn’t notice many suits and cocktail dresses but people were well dressed. Lots of fashion and designer brands on show. There were more Europeans and less North Americans than any cruise I’ve done, with the exception of sailing out of Southampton. 

This was exactly our experience two weeks ago on Explorer.

There were nearly 2000 Italians on our Explorer cruise, I wouldn't say it was traditional formal wear as there were not many tuxedos' or ball gowns etc on show but most passengers were very very smartly dressed on formal night.

It was like a Prada, Versace, Gucci fashion show and we really enjoyed it.

7 hours ago, TangerineWillow said:

Been a while since cruising RCL, are formal nights respected or is it a wear what you want evening.Explorer in a few weeks just need to know if I should take a tux

I personally wouldn't take a tux but if you want to dress up you will be in good company with the Italians, you will have a great time on Explorer we really enjoyed the Italian vibe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TangerineWillow said:

Dont know the answer thats why I ask clever that. 

11 hours ago, TangerineWillow said:

you don’t know the answer but yet you’re going to request someone be removed if there in shorts 

just mind your an business. Bring your tux you’ll most like be one of maybe 5 in one 

times have changed as have dress codes 

• Like 1

This is what Royal Caribbean says on their app about formal night.  We haven't done a Caribbean cruise since 2019, apparently things are more relaxed this days. Our recent Med cruise was mixed. Some continued to wear the same casual day clothes in the evening, some wore dinner jackets and cocktail/long dresses.

Screenshot_20230906_072042_Royal.thumb.jpg.5962a6b11d5dc27636323d554991d9ae.jpg

28 minutes ago, sgmn said:

This is what Royal Caribbean says on their app about formal night.  We haven't done a Caribbean cruise since 2019, apparently things are more relaxed this days. Our recent Med cruise was mixed. Some continued to wear the same casual day clothes in the evening, some wore dinner jackets and cocktail/long dresses.

Things seem a bit different in Europe.

We were surprised how smartly dressed people were most nights on our recent Greek Isles cruise on Explorer. This may be due to the majority of the passengers being from Italy and Spain.

• Like 3

On 9/5/2023 at 9:57 AM, TangerineWillow said:

Been a while since cruising RCL, are formal nights respected or is it a wear what you want evening. Explorer in a few weeks just need to know if I should take a tux

You will be overdressed in a tuxedo.   You may or may not care about that, but you will be in a much smaller minority than those in shorts.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, danv3 said:

You will be overdressed in a tuxedo.   You may or may not care about that, but you will be in a much smaller minority than those in shorts.  

Unfortunately you are correct even 5 years ago it was like that 

• Like 1