LIVE Insignia NY to Bermuda 9/6-9/13

rxlowry

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from rxlowry! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

rxlowry was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Good morning and welcome to my attempt at yet another Live report. We will see how the internet goes in helping me achieve success.  
This will be our first time trying Oceania.  We booked this in the beginning of 2022 when I found the itinerary which goes to our beloved St. George’s as well as Hamilton.  The itinerary plus the idea of trying Oceania sold us. At that point in time, we were quite sad about losing Crystal and wanted to explore some new options. We’ve mostly sailed on NCL but the last round of changes has really made a difference for us. 
The claim of “finest cuisine at sea” was another draw for us.  It’s a bold claim and I’ve read lots here where it’s not being met for some but I’m still excited.  My husband and I are both foodies so this LIVE will probably have lots of food and drink reviews, hopefully with photos!  
Lastly, the price was great but we are also in an inside cabin.  We’ve sailed the range from having an inside with bunk beds (Viking Serenade) to suites.  I’ve read reviews about size but we did an Oceanview on the NCL Majesty that was 108sq. I’m prepared for the size.  I like that Oceania has no levels outside of the cabin with special areas like the luxury lines. This makes being in a lower category much easier for me. 
 One final thing, I will likely post small criticism or comparisons, it is after all Cruise Critic.  It does not mean I’m not enjoying my vacation or that I’ll never cruise again. I’ll also post things I’m enjoying as I find them on every cruise.  I’m not a cheerleader for a specific line but I am for cruising in general!

Enough of the introductions as my personal pet peeve is live reports starting too early and reaching multiple pages before the trip begins!  I’ll see you in NY soon, maybe on the way!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. We will be joining you on the Insignia to Bermuda today ( we hope!).

We live on Long Island so we’ll be taking Uber to the pier at around 10:00. 
This will be our 6th O cruise so obviously we enjoy the small ship experience..

Will try to keep you posted with my observations. 
Happy cruising!

Lorraine

• Like 1

My wife and I will be experiencing Oceania for the first time in mid-December aboard Insignia, so I will be following your posts closely.  We decided to try Oceania based on a friend’s recommendation and the promise of great food.  We have recently sailed both Celebrity (which used to be our go to line, but we are moving to smaller and more upscale ships now) and Viking (we have enjoyed a number of their ocean cruises in recent years).  

We also have an itinerary booked on the Vista for 2025 which we will only keep if we are happy with our first Oceania foray; we do understand the two ships are quite different.

Thanks for your posts and I hope you have a great cruise!

• Like 1

I board one week from today, and woke to the news of Hurricane Lee probably affecting Bermuda next week. Seems you should miss it, lucky ducks!

Have a wonderful time, and looking forward to reading your experiences. If you could please let me know what the temp was like on your sea days, I'd appreciate it. Happy sails to all of you!

• Like 1

We made it to the ship! Traffic was heavy at the Holland Tunnel but after arriving at a near empty parking deck, everything was a breeze.  Security and check in was ten minutes total and most of that was walking!

We had a fast muster check in and we took the stairs up four flights to have lunch.  We opted for Waves Grill for lunch.  It was super hot but well worth it.  We each had the surf and turf sandwich and it was outstanding.  Very quick service for the Prosecco as well.  The buffet was very crowded so even though it was hot it was a good call. 
Next mission was to upgrade the beverage package which was a little bit of a wait.  
Now to break it in at Martinis with a Negroni for him and Aperol spritz.  
Ahhh…vacation mode engaged. 

IMG_4657.jpeg

IMG_4667.jpeg

• Like 5

Ok question for my Oceania experts…are KN95s standard issue?  I saw reports of low service last cruise on the “face site” and I’m curious if that was due to crew being sick?  Or have they not stopped giving these as an amenity?  Please no debates on efficacy of masks. Just want to know if it’s their standard.  And a cocktail pic 

IMG_4675.jpeg

1 minute ago, calicakes said:

Bon Voyage!!  I'm looking forward to following along as we'll be on the Sept 20th-27th sailing.  Where did you stay pre-cruise?  How did you get to the port? 

I stayed in my house lol.  We live 2.5 hours from NYC so we drove

4 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

Ok question for my Oceania experts…are KN95s standard issue?  I saw reports of low service last cruise on the “face site” and I’m curious if that was due to crew being sick?  Or have they not stopped giving these as an amenity?  Please no debates on efficacy of masks. Just want to know if it’s their standard.  And a cocktail pic 

IMG_4675.jpeg

They were provided on my Insignia cruise about a month ago (Reykjavik to NY) also. I think it's just standard for those who prefer to mask up.

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

They were provided on my Insignia cruise about a month ago (Reykjavik to NY) also. I think it's just standard for those who prefer to mask up.

Thanks!  We had four bottles of hand sanitizer on our Celebrity cruise in June.  Not sure if that’s standard but they had a noro outbreak the week prior so buffet was full serve.  It’s just making me wonder….

4 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

Did you get  a mask in your cabin?

I have not heard of them giving masks in recent months

16 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Did you get  a mask in your cabin?

I have not heard of them giving masks in recent months

Yes.  Two.  I have some suspicions or it’s due to increasing numbers in general.  But I got four bottles of hand sanitizer on my last cruise on celebrity in June.  Not sure if that’s standard but it was the week following a noro outbreak.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

On a positive note.  Passing around drink specials. NY Special.  According to the bar waiter it has “mysterious whiskey”.  Sold. 
Pool side with Sinatra.  Life is pretty great!!

IMG_4702.jpeg

@rxlowry Well it is so nice seeing your posts.  I read your enjoyment of your Surf and Turf sandwich. Also your reference to Crystal.  How did your Surf and Turf compare to the grill by the pool on Crystal.  Just curious.  I love the Steak Sandwich at that grill.  I know it is different but from a quality standpoint.  Please enjoy your cruise.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@rxlowry Well it is so nice seeing your posts.  I read your enjoyment of your Surf and Turf sandwich. Also your reference to Crystal.  How did your Surf and Turf compare to the grill by the pool on Crystal.  Just curious.  I love the Steak Sandwich at that grill.  I know it is different but from a quality standpoint.  Please enjoy your cruise.

My husband and I give this grill the edge over Crystal.  In addition to steak and lobster…quality bread, fries and sauce. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rxlowry said:

My husband and I give this grill the edge over Crystal.  In addition to steak and lobster…quality bread, fries and sauce. 

@rxlowry You literally made my day. My wife and I have been on Keto losing weight and I have not had BREAD in a very long time.  My cruise on Oceania is in 60 day and I am taking your lead on the Waves Grill.  Thank you for responding while on your vacation.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@rxlowry You literally made my day. My wife and I have been on Keto losing weight and I have not had BREAD in a very long time.  My cruise on Oceania is in 60 day and I am taking your lead on the Waves Grill.  Thank you for responding while on your vacation.  Much appreciated.

I have read that some people get the steak and lobster without the roll.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Do you know how many passengers are onboard?   We were so lucky on our first O cruise in Feb 2021.  Only 338 passengers on Marina. 

Hopefully, these numbers will be never again on the Oceania ships.

• Like 1