NCL Safety Video -email bombardment!!!

Markj

6 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

You also have to watch the video on your cabin TV before you can change the channels.

you dont really have to watch it at all..just let it play in the background while you do other things like unpack, etc 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I remember having to stand on a crowded open deck, and watch a crewmember go through the motions of putting on a life vest.  He wouldn't begin his demonstration until all the passengers assigned to our section were present and accounted for.  In later times, we did the muster call in the theater or a restaurant.  This was somewhat better, because we could sit.  Yeah, Once or twice to watch the video  at home should be enough.

Life vests used to be stored in the cabin closet.  We didn't find any there on our last cruise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

I remember having to stand on a crowded open deck, and watch a crewmember go through the motions of putting on a life vest.  He wouldn't begin his demonstration until all the passengers assigned to our section were present and accounted for.  In later times, we did the muster call in the theater or a restaurant.  This was somewhat better, because we could sit.  Yeah, Once or twice to watch the video  at home should be enough.

Life vests used to be stored in the cabin closet.  We didn't find any there on our last cruise.

Try under the beds.

Oh boy… this brings back memories of one of my customers getting one particular e-mail from me every hour for about 2 days straight because one of the mail servers had gone down while it was transiting through so when the server came back up it kept sending that one e-mail over and over again. Our IT guys had some fun tracking that down .. I was based in an Ireland office my customer was in Germany but everything got routed through a couple of servers in the USA on the west coast so the time zone difference did not help matters in getting it resolved. 

25 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Try under the bed…. On my first cruise I never found them but discovered them in a basket under the bed when I was stashing my suitcase on my next one. It didn’t help that the steward tended to put the throw pillows into the basket on top of the life jacket. 

• Thanks 1

I called NCL about this and this was their response:

The system sends out the emails automatically so as to make sure nobody misses it as it's very important to watch. If you've already viewed it, then you can disregard the subsequent messages.

I got bombarded by the safety emails when I went on Prima. I've only received maybe 3 emails for my upcoming cruise.

I already watched the video when I did the check-in and I'll have to watch it again in the cabin so the TV will work. Seems like there could be a way to register completion of viewing the video so that it's not necessary to keep sending out multiple messages.

When you turn on the TV for the first time on Prima it plays a more extended 14 minute safety video.

And just to clarify for anyone who thinks I don't like don't want or am unhappy in any way whatsoever with the safety video- I am not. However in the modern technological age we live in it cannot be beyond the technical and programming teams to know when someone has watched it.

Once with check in, once in an email and once on the TV would be just about right.

Interestingly after the muster stations messages had been made on Prima during embarkation and just after departure there were STILL people who were attending the muster stations to have their keycard scanned today - which is day 2!!!!

• 7 months later...
On 9/7/2023 at 2:56 PM, graphicguy said:

I believe they keep sending them out until they have a record of all guests having viewed it.  I'm sure it's a blanket, batch message that dies not differentiate between who has and who hasn't viewed it.

• Like 1

Leaving Sunday.  Watched the safety video during check-in.  Got emails saying, "watch it again."  We watched it again.  Got four more emails - "Watch it again."  My question is whether I'm supposed to verify somehow that we complied with the request.

6 minutes ago, footer6 said:

Leaving Sunday.  Watched the safety video during check-in.  Got emails saying, "watch it again."  We watched it again.  Got four more emails - "Watch it again."  My question is whether I'm supposed to verify somehow that we complied with the request.

I "think" there's some sort of registered note that you watched it, and you can't go to your muster station and check in until you watch the safety video.

The issue is there's no "stop" code that keeps the safety video from being sent out after you watch it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, footer6 said:

You have completed your duty no need to bump s long dead thread. 

Edited by BirdTravels

41 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You have completed your duty no need to bump s long dead thread. 

Better than starting a new thread 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Better than starting a new thread 

As a long time poster, you know better. Resurrecting a dead thread often causes undue confusion with old, out-of-date, and inaccurate information. 

In this case, while there was once a consistent repeated transmission of safety video reminders, we have sailed twice (including a cruise last week) where we did not receive any email reminders. 

• Like 1