Just off the Equinox 2 to 10 September

C4HCG

4 hours ago, ela123 said:

We walked there from the ship it was very straightforward. A local tried walking and chatting with us to “show us the way” we just said thanks but we know the way so we don’t need help and carried on walking. I didn’t feel unsafe at all.

We've been in Puerto Plata three times in the last 12 months - docked twice at Taino Bay and once at Amber Cove - and went to the historic downtown area all three times.  We also never felt unsafe.  Our second time at TB, we walked from the port to the historic downtown area, along the beach near the fort, and back.  Other than being approached right at the port exit by mildly persistent people trying to get us to take their taxi or a private tour, we had no issues whatsoever.  We went in several stores in the downtown area and were never "pressured" to buy anything. Can't believe someone told the OP that they were  "locking people in shops until they bought something"!   In fact, I've actually felt more pressure at the straw market in Nassau and from the guys standing outside the jewelry stores in Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas) and Phillipsburg (St. Maarten).  On just about every corner along the way from the port to the downtown area in Puerto Plata, there are "Tourist Police" who stop traffic to allow tourists to cross and do a good job making tourists feel comfortable.  Of course, maybe there is a need for such police but, if so, we didn't see it.

Thank you for posting.  We leave on her on 8 January 2024.  It's our last Celebrity cruise that we have booked (Elite+).  Have three other cruises booked for 2024 on other lines.  Now looking at a Blue Danube River cruise in 2025.  Also, waiting to see how Jim_lain's Great Lakes cruise on Ponant goes.  😎

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

We've been in Puerto Plata three times in the last 12 months - docked twice at Taino Bay and once at Amber Cove - and went to the historic downtown area all three times.  We also never felt unsafe.  Our second time at TB, we walked from the port to the historic downtown area, along the beach near the fort, and back.  Other than being approached right at the port exit by mildly persistent people trying to get us to take their taxi or a private tour, we had no issues whatsoever.  We went in several stores in the downtown area and were never "pressured" to buy anything. Can't believe someone told the OP that they were  "locking people in shops until they bought something"!   In fact, I've actually felt more pressure at the straw market in Nassau and from the guys standing outside the jewelry stores in Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas) and Phillipsburg (St. Maarten).  On just about every corner along the way from the port to the downtown area in Puerto Plata, there are "Tourist Police" who stop traffic to allow tourists to cross and do a good job making tourists feel comfortable.  Of course, maybe there is a need for such police but, if so, we didn't see it.

Looks like we were misinformed then, shame we were looking forward to it. As mentioned above the chap seemed distraught so we accepted his word. Maybe he’d had something happen to him but he didn’t say so.

We will be on the  "Halloween Cruise "at the end of October. Haven't cruised since 2019. We are interested in if and how cruising has chaged , if any. Equinox is one of our favorite ships. Hoping we have a great cruise so we can get back into it.

13 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Looks like we were misinformed then, shame we were looking forward to it. As mentioned above the chap seemed distraught so we accepted his word. Maybe he’d had something happen to him but he didn’t say so.

Totally understand. If someone had told me what you were told, I'd have done just what you did. You probably are correct that he had a bad experience that colored his view and he passed it on.  I suppose we all have a story about a port where we felt "ripped off" or unsafe.  I once had such a "moment" on an excursion in Falmouth, Jamaica that left me nervous about that particular port.  However, I'll bet others would find my concern totally misplaced!  I hope you can give Puerto Plata another chance.  It's not my favorite port but I didn't find it to be as that other cruiser portrayed it to be. With that said, however, any port can present criminals with opportunities so it's always wise to be cautious.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

Totally understand. If someone had told me what you were told, I'd have done just what you did. You probably are correct that he had a bad experience that colored his view and he passed it on.  I suppose we all have a story about a port where we felt "ripped off" or unsafe.  I once had such a "moment" on an excursion in Falmouth, Jamaica that left me nervous about that particular port.  However, I'll bet others would find my concern totally misplaced!  I hope you can give Puerto Plata another chance.  It's not my favorite port but I didn't find it to be as that other cruiser portrayed it to be. With that said, however, any port can present criminals with opportunities so it's always wise to be cautious.

We do hope to visit again.

1 hour ago, diesel1973 said:

We will be on the  "Halloween Cruise "at the end of October. Haven't cruised since 2019. We are interested in if and how cruising has chaged , if any. Equinox is one of our favorite ships. Hoping we have a great cruise so we can get back into it.

We were on the equinox last halloween and the passengers in their costumes were really good! This year we are going on November 30 so the Equinox will be decorated for Christmas.🎄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluewake said:

We heard they have a pool, loungers   food/ drinks  and nice shops right at the Puerta Plata  port area.. Can you confirm that?

Our ship, APEX will arrive around 11:30 am and we are hoping for a nice relaxing day..close to the ship!

45 minutes ago, hcat said:

We heard they have a pool, loungers   food/ drinks  and nice shops right at the Puerta Plata  port area.. Can you confirm that?

Our ship, APEX will arrive around 11:30 am and we are hoping for a nice relaxing day..close to the ship!

They do have a swimming pool area and it’s very impressive, includes a lazy river. Good variety of shops and bars too. And it’s pretty, very well designed.

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, C4HCG said:

One other negative, the music at the pool deck was played too loud at times, making conversation difficult.

Hmm.  I wonder if they would turn it down some if you asked.  On Princess newer ships they had an adults only retreat area that was separate from the main pools where the movie screen was, and you could get away from that noise, but I don't think Equinox has something like that.

5 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Hmm.  I wonder if they would turn it down some if you asked.  On Princess newer ships they had an adults only retreat area that was separate from the main pools where the movie screen was, and you could get away from that noise, but I don't think Equinox has something like that.

I doubt they would turn it down, most people round the pool seemed fine with it. I love music but not so loud you can’t chat.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

We really liked Taino Bay.  As C4HCG wrote, TB has bars, shopping, and a nice swimming pool area...however, no true ocean beach access when we were there.  Here is a video from Youtube that shows what it's like:

Amber Cover is similar but we liked TB better.  Lots of shopping and a pool area but not as nice as TB...at least we didn't think so.  Here is another video that shows AC.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2023 at 4:01 PM, C4HCG said:

I doubt they would turn it down, most people round the pool seemed fine with it. I love music but not so loud you can’t chat.

my post was lost during maint ??

doubt they will turn it down..directives come from mgmnt

key is to enjoy tranquility  early..hopefully before it is turned on.

For the Solarium  best to go early before the crowds arrive.. Supposed to have spa music there ???

Edited by hcat

On 9/11/2023 at 2:50 PM, C4HCG said:

They do have a swimming pool area and it’s very impressive, includes a lazy river. Good variety of shops and bars too. And it’s pretty, very well designed.

thanks.. will check out the video links

36 minutes ago, hcat said:

my post was lost during maint ??

doubt they will turn it down..directives come from mgmnt

key is to enjoy tranquility  early..hopefully before it is turned on.

For the Solarium  best to go early before the crowds arrive.. Supposed to have spa music there ???

Don’t think there was any background music in the solarium so very peaceful.

2 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Hey we’re on the same cruise !!

We always try to escape the frigid temperatures in Northern Florida during the winter.  Yes, it even snows where we live...😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, cluso said:

We always try to escape the frigid temperatures in Northern Florida during the winter.  Yes, it even snows where we live...😎

Good one 😂.  We’re in the Midwest and January Caribbean cruises have now become an annual standard to escape the weather for 2 weeks

Seeing posts criticising the MDR from other posters which is fine, we all have our own expectations and experiences. Reminded me that we had two brilliant waiters in the MDR, couldn’t speak highly enough of them and reflected that in our feedback questionnaire. But the point I really wanted to make was the food and the menu, they showed flexibility and went out of their way to please. For example chic night when lobster isn’t chargeable, two if the four of us didn’t want it so the two who did got double. Lovely touch.

• Like 1