Celebrity User Just Off Discovery Yesterday (First Princess Cruise)

Guindalf

OK a Discovery question although I suppose it applies to all ships.  I watched the Ship Tour video on youtube (12 minutes) and the main thing it showed was this dining venue!  That dining venue!  This dessert place!  That dessert place!

Is there a sign or code or symbol or something on each dining venue, to tell you whether it is a "pay" venue or whether it is included in base rate?  Without having to memorize them all or check the app?

I know that everyone gets access to MDR and International Cafe (but not specialty coffees or desserts??) and the buffet.  But they showed a place called Gelato.  Can we walk up and get gelato, or is that charge?  They showed pizza by the slice.  I believe that is included.  But they showed another pizza place, too, that I believe is not.

My basic question, is there something visual that tells passengers "Pay Venue" or "For Everyone!" at each venue?  

Short answer is no.They don't advertise the pay venues on any ship/line I've sailed on. I guess they hope you'll decide to pay rather than go elsewhere when you get there!

Gelato is NOT free, but it is reasonable ($2.00 for one scoop, $3.99 for two and $4.00 for three). There's always a line, so we never tried it. We think we were entitled to two free premium desserts, but the lines never seemed worth it for us.

Reading with interest. We mostly book Celebrity sky suites. With X making so many changes I thought it was time to look elsewhere. This month we are booked on X in a Celebrity Suite on Eclipse. Feb we will be on Discovery in a aft Penthouse Suite with Premium package. We also have a Celebrity Suite booked for Alaska next Sept. My question to myself. Is the service and food on Celebrity worth $3k to $5k more than Princess. We have not sailed on PCL in 12 years.

4 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Reading with interest. We mostly book Celebrity sky suites. With X making so many changes I thought it was time to look elsewhere. This month we are booked on X in a Celebrity Suite on Eclipse. Feb we will be on Discovery in a aft Penthouse Suite with Premium package. We also have a Celebrity Suite booked for Alaska next Sept. My question to myself. Is the service and food on Celebrity worth $3k to $5k more than Princess. We have not sailed on PCL in 12 years.

Only way to find out is to try Princess and draw your conclusions from there.  There's more to it than just service; there's also the vibe that the ship projects.

• Like 4

Celebrity and Princess are both regarded as "Upscale Cruise Lines"  more similar than dissimilar.  Like most products there will always be a variety of opinions in respect to which line, if any is better.

When we cruise Celebrity we go Aqua Class.  When we go Princess we go Club, now Reserve Class.  

We in the past have liked both products. 

Our next cruise on Princess will be on the Regal Princess in several weeks.  Our last cruise on Celebrity was over Christmas on Celebrity Reflection.

We did note that the "Blu" Dining Room has had some cutbacks in both quantity, quality, and choice of selections and was a disappointment.  The entertainment also seem a bit "stale" We got the impression that Celebrity is putting much of their efforts into their  Edge Class Ships.  

Perhaps Princess might be doing the same with their Sphere Class.  

Will give an update after our next cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 1:52 PM, Guindalf said:

Day Four: Supplemental - Endecott Arm and Dawes Glacier

We entered the Arm at 5:00am and on to a (distant) view of a small-ish glacier. A late-sleeper could easily have missed it all! After our first trip to Glacier Bay in 2009 and the Hubbard Glacier in 2019, not to mention the Misty Fjords earlier in this trip, I have to say this was underwhelming.

I'll just leave that there.

Day Five: Skagway.

We had an early afternoon booking for the train, which is a must-do for anyone visiting for the first time. However, this was our second ride on the White Pass and Yukon Rail Road, the first being back in 2009. The accessible version was sold out, so we booked the regular trip, knowing I could leave the scooter there and walk the few steps into the carriage. However, there was plenty of space and I was easily accommodated. It was a little funny when a group of people decided they were going to take seats in the handicap coach and were quickly hurried out!

The communications have (obviously) been upgraded since 2009 and the commentary was excellent - much clearer than the first trip. Last time, we disembarked the train in Carcross and bussed back to the ship. This tour did a loop at the top and came back, so it didn't matter which side you chose to sit on, you were able to see everything. Some of the stories of endurance for very little reward were stunning, not to mention those who perished.

There was a shuttle running the 7/10ths of a mile from the ship along the pier due to two landslides. these were provided free of charge and were able to accommodate the scooter.

I will have more to say about handicapped cruising and the differences between the two lines at the end of the review. Save to say, one experience outweighs the other by a LONG way, including some minor differences.

(Gotcha now 🙂 You have to read to the end!).

You definitely have me curious as my handicapped experiences with the 2 lines also varied greatly, and for me, Princess was light years more accommodating. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

You definitely have me curious as my handicapped experiences with the 2 lines also varied greatly, and for me, Princess was light years more accommodating. 

My handicapped experience with the two cruise lines is just about identical, with Celebrity having the edge, if only for the automatic room door. This has been a feature on the two accessible suites we've had in the past and, although we loved the medallion (once we got used to the 'creepy' factor!), there was no automatic door in our suite this trip.

My comments have pretty much all been based on excursions, which are not cruise-line exclusive.

Edited by Guindalf

9 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I traveled with a disabled parent not in a wheel chair for many years. Princess was far more accommodating also! So much so - I could not get her on a Celebrity cruise again. I no longer have my Mom with me but I have to say the experience soured me that I haven't gone back to Celebrity even though I know my experience would be entirely different with out her with me.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 11:04 AM, bigbenboys said:

Is the service and food on Celebrity worth $3k to $5k more than Princess.

I've been on one Celebrity cruise, so not a lot of data.  Actually have another next month.  But been on Princess 26 times.  

When I booked my Celebrity cruise last year, the Celebrity forum people responding to my questions all assured me that the food on Celebrity was immensely better than on Princess, but I found it to be basically the exact same.  We were on a smaller ship, so less options in places like the buffet.  I found the food to be adequate, but not special.  Same as I view with Princess.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2023 at 6:50 AM, deltahog said:

OK a Discovery question although I suppose it applies to all ships.  I watched the Ship Tour video on youtube (12 minutes) and the main thing it showed was this dining venue!  That dining venue!  This dessert place!  That dessert place!

Is there a sign or code or symbol or something on each dining venue, to tell you whether it is a "pay" venue or whether it is included in base rate?  Without having to memorize them all or check the app?

I know that everyone gets access to MDR and International Cafe (but not specialty coffees or desserts??) and the buffet.  But they showed a place called Gelato.  Can we walk up and get gelato, or is that charge?  They showed pizza by the slice.  I believe that is included.  But they showed another pizza place, too, that I believe is not.

My basic question, is there something visual that tells passengers "Pay Venue" or "For Everyone!" at each venue?  

The rule of thumb for Princess restaurants since the recent changes is: anywhere you're served while seated, there's a charge; if you have to go and get your food yourself from a counter or buffet, it's included. (Gelato is the exception, but can attest that it's well worth the couple of bucks.) 

On my last Discovery trip (pre-charges), the charge was listed at the top of their specialty dining menus, and it looks like that's still the case. So, if you don't want to use the app, you could ask to see a menu.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

The rule of thumb for Princess restaurants since the recent changes is: anywhere you're served while seated, there's a charge; if you have to go and get your food yourself from a counter or buffet, it's included. (Gelato is the exception, but can attest that it's well worth the couple of bucks.) 

Huh?

All MDRs are included and you are seated and served.

Edited by gah_cruise
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, gah_cruise said:

Huh?

All MDRs are included and you are seated and served.

You could have just said "except the MDR, of course."

Seemed like the question referred to specialty dining, but 🤷‍♂️

Edited by TheMichael

1 hour ago, TheMichael said:

You could have just said "except the MDR, of course."

Seemed like the question referred to specialty dining, but 🤷‍♂️

Are you seated to buy specialty coffees at the International Cafe?

I think it's a good rule but there seem to be exceptions.

Another rule is "everywhere is pay except MDR, buffet, International Cafe basic, and pizza by the slice."

Does that rule work?

7 hours ago, Guindalf said:

My handicapped experience with the two cruise lines is just about identical, with Celebrity having the edge, if only for the automatic room door. This has been a feature on the two accessible suites we've had in the past and, although we loved the medallion (once we got used to the 'creepy' factor!), there was no automatic door in our suite this trip.

My comments have pretty much all been based on excursions, which are not cruise-line exclusive.

Aw yes, I do remember how handy the auto door was on Celebrity and did mention to my hubby that that was the one thing Celebrity had that I missed between the 2 rooms. 

1 hour ago, deltahog said:

Another rule is "everywhere is pay except MDR, buffet, International Cafe basic, and pizza by the slice."

Does that rule work?

No, it does not. What about the Salty Dog Grill and Coffee & Cones?

5 minutes ago, deltahog said:

I don't know that's what I am trying to learn.  Can I walk into the Salty Dog Grill, as a basic passenger, and get something?

You can't walk into the Salty Dog Grill or Coffee & Cones. You can walk up to them on the Lido deck and order. They each have some free items and some extra charge items. You can get hamburgers or hotdogs at the Salty Dog Grill or ice cream at Coffee & Cones at no charge.

2 minutes ago, deltahog said:

I don't know that's what I am trying to learn.  Can I walk into the Salty Dog Grill, as a basic passenger, and get something?

The Salty Dog Grill is up by the pool.  They have a variety of menu options that are complimentary for everyone.  It’s not really a place you would walk into .. it’s just a stand near Slice (the Noodle Bar on the Majestic).  
The Salty Dog GastroPub is another story.  That is an actual sit down restaurant, albeit tar bar stools at a pub style table.  There is an a la carte menu as well as a price fixed meal.  
If you are on the standard fare, you can purchase with option.  

15 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

The Salty Dog Grill is up by the pool.  They have a variety of menu options that are complimentary for everyone.  It’s not really a place you would walk into .. it’s just a stand near Slice (the Noodle Bar on the Majestic).  
The Salty Dog GastroPub is another story.  That is an actual sit down restaurant, albeit tar bar stools at a pub style table.  There is an a la carte menu as well as a price fixed meal.  

Thanks for telling me the difference.  I have not yet been on a Princess ship.

• Like 1

Maybe this is a question that deserves its own thread instead of asking it here, but since a primary focus of this thread is about "Suite Life" on PCL as compared to X, as a non-suite guest myself, I have often wondered...If one is going to spend that much money on a cruise and wants to be treated and fed like royalty, why does one choose a suite on a mass-market ship instead of cruising on a more upscale line like Regent or Oceania?  I've always imagined that if my finances could handle paying that much for a cruise, I would pick an upscale line instead of a more expensive cabin on a mass-market line.  But clearly there are many here who routinely choose the latter, and I'd love to get a sense of why as I'd love to learn from your experiences.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Holy ______.  I think I have found my answer that I can create and carry a cheat sheet.  I found all food venues listed here:

https://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Discovery-Princess-Fact-Sheet.html 

I put a double asterisk beside any that I can access for free.  Please correct me as necessary.

• 24-hour room service (breakfast **)
  • Bellini's Bar
  • Bistro Sur La Mer
  • Chef's Table Lumiere
  • Churchill's Cigar Lounge
  • Crooners
  • Crown Grill & Bar
  • Gelato
  • Gigi's Pizzeria
  • Good Spirits At Sea
  • International Café – coffee, snacks, light meals **
  • Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar
  • Princess Live! Café
  • Sabatini's Italian Trattoria
  • Salty Dog Grill (Lido, pool) **
  • SeaView Bar
  • Slice Pizzeria **
  • Swirls ice cream bar **
  • The Mix – Lido Deck bar in between Slice Pizzeria and Salty Dog Grill
  • The Salty Dog Gastropub
  • Three Main Dining Rooms **
  • Wake View Bar
  • World Fresh Marketplace - including The Pastry Shop **
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Maybe this is a question that deserves its own thread instead of asking it here, but since a primary focus of this thread is about "Suite Life" on PCL as compared to X, as a non-suite guest myself, I have often wondered...If one is going to spend that much money on a cruise and wants to be treated and fed like royalty, why does one choose a suite on a mass-market ship instead of cruising on a more upscale line like Regent or Oceania?  I've always imagined that if my finances could handle paying that much for a cruise, I would pick an upscale line instead of a more expensive cabin on a mass-market line.  But clearly there are many here who routinely choose the latter, and I'd love to get a sense of why as I'd love to learn from your experiences.  

There's more to a suite than being 'treated and fed like royalty'! If you're happy sitting around sipping brandy and listening to a 90-year-old pianist, then the ultra-lux lines are for you, but if you want 'mainstream' entertainment, then you need the large line experience.

Once you leave your suite, designated restaurant or Concierge Lounge (Retreat on X), there's no difference between you and someone in an inside cabin. You have no greater chance of winning trivia or the belly-flop contest! All I want from a suite is more room and somewhere to escape the noise and crowds.

Edited by Guindalf
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

but if you want 'mainstream' entertainment, then you need to large line experience.

So "entertainment" puts a checkmark in the column of the larger ships.  Makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

All I want from a suite is more room and somewhere to escape the noise and crowds.

How does the size of a Princess (or Celebrity) suite compare to a comparably priced cabin on a luxury line?

2 hours ago, deltahog said:

Does that rule work?

Geez, this is kind of ridiculous at this point - the question was about specialty restaurant food. 

If you DO want to get nitpicky about individual items, you might have to pay EVERYWHERE, because the Buffet has specialty coffees and the MDR has those plus premium desserts, etc. 

The answer to which non-MDR/buffet restaurants require payment and which don't is still, "where you sit and are served is always a charge, and where you order/pick up from a counter is basically included." Does THAT need to be nitpicked?