New to Carnival. Why are deposits so high?

dgc2861

I usually sail Princess but found a great itinerary to Alaska with a full day in Victoria to see Butchart Gardens in 2025! But the deposits are almost $400!

1. Do you get that back if you need to cancel before final payment is due? 

2. Do they ever run a sale on deposits? I see now there is reduced deposits from $50, but does it only apply to certain cruises?Certainly not this one.

I really liked this itinerary, but not used to paying such high deposits, but I'm fine with it if you get it back before cancelling before final payment is due.

Also has the Spirit been updated?  I love the classy older ships and don't have to sail the brand new ones, but I see the videos of the bathroom that have 70s green tile - or maybe that IS updated 🙂

Thank you,

Sue in Pgh

• Like 1

1. Depends on the rate code you booked but generally no.

2. Yes, it is a rate code and sometimes the reduced deposit rates are more expensive than rates with higher deposits.

In general you don't want to book Carnival cruises if you think you're going to cancel them. This isn't like a hotel room where there are often no penalties for cancelling.

The Spirit still has substantially the same decor as it had when it debuted.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info....I'll keep looking or just keep watching the Carnival itinerary and book it closer to sailing since we are two years away. I would be going with my elderly mom - she really wants to go back to AK, but if something happened between now and then, it would be better to wait.

Spirit is certainly a classic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgc2861 said:

Thanks for the info....I'll keep looking or just keep watching the Carnival itinerary and book it closer to sailing since we are two years away. I would be going with my elderly mom - she really wants to go back to AK, but if something happened between now and then, it would be better to wait.

Spirit is certainly a classic.

I'd recommend you work with a Carnival personal vacation planner or a good travel agent who can help you with your rate code options. While waiting to book is certainly an option, it will more than likely cost you more money as rates increase and give you less choice in a good cabin etc.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dgc2861 said:

Also has the Spirit been updated? 

30 minutes ago, dgc2861 said:

I'll keep looking or just keep watching the Carnival itinerary and book it closer to sailing since we are two years away.

Hi @dgc2861🙂

Spirit's next dry-dock is: 

1/30/2025 to 3/15/2025

(Click Here) - Spirit Fact Sheet

(Click Here) - Spirit Ship Features & Public Areas

Don't forget to Google deck plans for Spirit when the time comes to pick out your cabin; and to see what is above & below you. 

🍹

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dgc2861 said:

Also has the Spirit been updated?  I love the classy older ships and don't have to sail the brand new ones, but I see the videos of the bathroom that have 70s green tile - or maybe that IS updated 🙂

Classy is not one of the adjectives used very often to describe any of Joe Farcus designed ships.  Interesting, unusual, eclectic, overstated, bold...But not CLASSY😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

What cruise line has the lowest down payment? I always book Carnival during a sale so I didn’t realize it’s usually higher than some of the other lines.

Royal usually wants $700 for a 2 person balcony. 

Odd I've only seen a $250 pp deposit for a balcony, $500 for 2 in a balcony on rcl for 7 days. What cruise did you see $700. I've got 12 in my signature and not a one is $700 for a balcony on rcl. What a odd amount. For group rates I pay deposit for 2. Never saw $700 or even heard of someone paying that odd amount. $750 would be 3 in a balcony for 7 days. Maybe a longer cruise? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Odd I've only seen a $250 pp deposit for a balcony, $500 for 2 in a balcony on rcl for 7 days. What cruise did you see $700. I've got 12 in my signature and not a one is $700 for a balcony on rcl. What a odd amount. For group rates I pay deposit for 2. Never saw $700 or even heard of someone paying that odd amount. $750 would be 3 in a balcony for 7 days. Maybe a longer cruise? 

My apologies my last cruise with them was 11 days so that was probably the reason. When I sailed a 7 day there were 3 in my room.

I usually pay between $250-$300 for Carnival bookings so everything else sounds expensive to me. It know it shouldn’t actually matter since we have to pay it sooner or later. Right now I’d put down just about anything for a great 2025 rate lol.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dgc2861 said:

2. Do they ever run a sale on deposits? I see now there is reduced deposits from $50, but does it only apply to certain cruises?Certainly not this one.

11 hours ago, mz-s said:

2. Yes, it is a rate code and sometimes the reduced deposit rates are more expensive than rates with higher deposits.

Carnival has never had regular super low deposits since I've been sailing on them - mostly around $250 to $500 per cabin depending on the cruise length. Some years back, half off deposits were introduced and then became more commonplace.  And a few years ago, they introduced special $99 and $50 deposits at certain times and for certain fare codes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dgc2861 said:

I usually sail Princess but found a great itinerary to Alaska with a full day in Victoria to see Butchart Gardens in 2025! But the deposits are almost $400!

1. Do you get that back if you need to cancel before final payment is due? 

I really liked this itinerary, but not used to paying such high deposits, but I'm fine with it if you get it back before cancelling before final payment is due.

Thank you,

Sue in Pgh

Hey Sue. 

I see princess having huge fire sales with AK all the time as last minute deals. Why not stick to them? The entire cruise is sometimes less than 400 for 7 days. 

16 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Classy is not one of the adjectives used very often to describe any of Joe Farcus designed ships.  Interesting, unusual, eclectic, overstated, bold...But not CLASSY😁

Fun fact, the Magic was the last ship to be designed by Joe Farcus and you sure can tell.  Regardless, the Magic is one of my favorite ships, gaudy or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DrSea said:

Hey Sue. 

I see princess having huge fire sales with AK all the time as last minute deals. Why not stick to them? The entire cruise is sometimes less than 400 for 7 days. 

Yes. I keep going back to them and looking. Thanks!

• Like 1

I've just booked two cruises on Royal Caribbean with our TA who gets group rates.  They are at least $200 pp less than booking directly.  One is a 5 day with $200 deposit for 2 and the second is a 7 day with $500 deposit for two. 

Carnival's prices now are getting outrageous.  Some of their comparable sailings are more money than Princess, Royal and NCL.  We have three more booked but unless their prices become competitive I'm not sure we will book any more with Carnival.

• Like 2