Any news/comments from Symphony?

DaisyUK

Hi DaisyUK. 
Symphony was rerouted to Katakolon as the winds were up to 40 knots so we could not stop at Mykonos as planned.   Tomorrow we will arrive at Corfu for the day followed by Dubrovnik on Thursday before our debarkation in Venice on Friday. 
The ship is in tiptop shape with the crew fantastic!

We are delighted to have returned to Crystal!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

We too received an impressive looking package yesterday. It had been couriered from the US and had to be signed for. It contained non personalised luggage tags and a one page letter contained within a folder with a picture of OC Symphony in Sydney harbour. Overall NOT impressive - especially given that the personlised cruise ticket has to be downloaded and printed! 

(but early days - hopefully this approach can be improved upon.....)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noggins said:

Overall NOT impressive - especially given that the personlised cruise ticket has to be downloaded and printed! 

(but early days - hopefully this approach can be improved upon.....)

So what’s the carbon foot print on that little exercise? 

It makes no sense at all

Another example of companies greenwashing their activities and not thinking it through 

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 2

I don’t understand the thought process behind mailing you a letter with the luggage tags and then making you print out the boarding document.  Why not just print the boarding barcode on the welcome letter, or insert whatever document you need people to acknowledge in the envelope you’re already sending?  

I’m bombarded with all kinds of greenwashing in the travel industry by all kinds of suppliers, but this isn’t even that.  It doesn’t save paper overall, it doesn’t save postage, it doesn’t save greenhouse gasses from shipping, it doesn’t save labor as it could be batch printed in the same queue as the letters — all it does is tasks the guests with one more chore and makes them use their paper for something Crystal seems too cheap to supply.  Definitely not a great luxury experience.

I’m kind of hoping they eventually move to the pre-printed luggage tags like the ones OC used starting in 2021, but I can at least understand why that’s a bigger project for another day.  The poor experience of getting a mailing and then having to print your own boarding pass is a real head scratcher though.

Vince

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Stickman1990 said:

So what’s the carbon foot print on that little exercise? 

It makes no sense at all

Another example of companies greenwashing their activities and no thinking it through 

GMTA…. 😁 I literally had the exact same thoughts at the same moment.  Haha

Vince

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BWIVince said:

GMTA…. 😁 I literally had the exact same thoughts at the same moment.  Haha

Vince

When you think about it a luggage tag has a lifespan of around an hour, maybe two if you're unlucky. Pierside to your room.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Noggins said:

When you think about it a luggage tag has a lifespan of around an hour, maybe two if you're unlucky. Pierside to your room.

I can't say I've ever gotten my bags in an hour, but yeah they do have a short life span.  A lot of bags go further than just from the pier to the room too though also.  Most of my tags are on for 3-5 hours, and it's a pretty important 3-5 hours.  The plastic or plasticized paper straps have always stood up well to this process, but even the cardboard ones have torn or been damaged sometimes over the years...  So there's a lot to this seemingly tiny element.

Vince

Right now luggage tags are not pre-printed but the plan is they will be.

The only part of the docs you need to print out is the  barcode. You don't even have to print it as you could put it on your iPhone.I believe it was Patty who said she didn't even have her documents with her but if not her someone.

I would rather have the tags on my luggage prior to getting to port.  One less thing to do there.  

Keith 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

The only part of the docs you need to print out is the  barcode. You don't even have to print it as you could put it on your iPhone.I believe it was Patty who said she didn't even have her documents with her but if not her someone.

Keith 

Oh, I had it on my phone. Just couldn't remember where and couldn't find it at the time! 🤪😵😉

Patty

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Why the eye roll at Laurel, Maryland?  😞 Some of us are proud to live near there!

Vince

My apologies.  Maybe it was the wrong choice of Emoji.  We are in S E England and the distance 6 luggage tags had travelled  from Laurel is considerable - that is why I used that Emoji. Coincidentally, our daughter works for Zebra ~ she spotted their name on the bar coded address label. 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krb1000 said:

Timmy and I arrived in Venice this morning and we can’t wait to board Symphony on Monday. ♥️♥️♥️
I’m going to try my best to post here and to our blog:

http://www.travelingwithtimmy.com

IMG_9516.thumb.jpeg.0d6a74be0cb519e2376a5e7ffb0233eb.jpeg

I will be following you.

Wishing you both a wonderful cruise.

Enjoy every minute.

Keith

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, comas said:

My apologies.  Maybe it was the wrong choice of Emoji.  We are in S E England and the distance 6 luggage tags had travelled  from Laurel is considerable - that is why I used that Emoji. Coincidentally, our daughter works for Zebra ~ she spotted their name on the bar coded address label. 😄

My spouse Laurel, who lives in Maryland, appreciates your kind words.  Also, I can assure you both Laurels are lovely.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Why the eye roll at Laurel, Maryland?  😞 Some of us are proud to live near there!

Vince

I think the eyeroll was amazement that the mailing went to UK from Laurel instead of a larger city. I don’t think there was an intentional insult. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, comas said:

No worries!  Laurel gets kind of disrespected locally, but a large part of my family is from that area, so that just kind of stood out as I was reading it.  😊 

Zebra is a great company…. The pre-printed luggage tags Old Crystal was printing in 2021 and early 2022 looked like Zebra-style labels, funny enough!  I’m hoping Zebra will have a role in Crystal’s future as well.  🙂

Vince

• Like 1