The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 12th, 2023

richwmn

You've probably read about the blood shortage. Donations are always off during vacation periods, and severe weather also had an effect. The blood bank is almost begging me to donate ASAP (type O and CMV-negative); the first day I'm eligible is September 21 and the first good date for me is September 28. The thing is, doing that would make me ineligible to donate, in the slightly unlikely event that it's needed, during the TATL cruise in November.

Meanwhile, the new COVID vaccine has been approved and will be available soon. I want to get that before the cruise, but will probably wait on a flu vaccine, since one administered now would be starting to wane by the usual peak of flu season out here in the sticks.

Today I hiked at a nature preserve just outside of town that has emotional significance because a now-deceased friend donated it; it had been his personal refuge from a busy medical practice, and when he retired he gave it to the Finger Lakes Land Trust. Part of the reason was to do some of my course assignment, reading on the only bench in the preserve, about 20 minutes out from the trailhead. I returned over a trail I'd never walked before, and it was much more difficult hiking (up and down and up and down and up and down) than I wanted.

Thinking about how to attend the virtual classes during the Spain trip and cruise led me to check on dates for the spring semester. The first week of classes will be during another cruise, but probably not a problem, because two of the possible days are sea days, and one is disembarkation day (from Cape Liberty) and I could be home in time for the class.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

The thing is, doing that would make me ineligible to donate, in the slightly unlikely event that it's needed, during the TATL cruise in November

I had never heard a call for blood before, but on the GSA this year, it happened.  I was amazed by the number of people who immediately left the showroom to answer the call.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Wow!  Happy nighttime on Tuesday Dailyites.  Yes, I am done for the day, 

I love the quote.  To the point where I have it written down in a notepad that I kept at my old job, and of course brought home.  I printed out the recipe from @dfish

I'm a little slow (most of the time) but we havent seen @irishjim

for a long time.  He has not posted since Halloween last year.  It was a name I was used to seeing every day.  And then about a month ago, I realized I had not.

Well I did say that I was going to sign on with a campaign in November, but found out yesterday that training starts tomorrow.  How am I going to remember something mid September in Mid November? I cant remember lunch half of the time.

Not true

breakfast today was bacon and eggs

lunch was salmon, refried low fat black beans, and a different type of melon called an orange flesh.

dinner was a burger with sauteed onions and red peppers, a side of mushrooms and salad.

its called cleaning out the fridge, eat everything

But tomorrow who knows, another burger and green beans, and that's as far as I got

Training at 10-12

walk dog

Texas campaign 2-4

get out early to our favorite restaurant for a taco

get back and work a couple hours in Los Angeles...

spread like cheap peanut butter

DH was cut from his campaign at 12 noon yesterday, and had a new job by 6 p.m.

Good night friends

467477021-i-miss-you-best-friend-quotes-5.jpg

oh, we had thunder and lightening today, but no rain here.

• Like 17

Good Evening Dailyites,

Heavy heart this evening as we have placed Dad on hospice care.  He came down with a fever on September 3 and was dx with Covid.  We had tried so hard to keep Covid away after 3 1/2 years it was the first time that he had it.  While I was at the ER his wife tested at home and found she was positive.  She only had some mild aches and scratch throat, who knows where she picked it up.  With his other medical conditions being complicated with the covid, after several ups and downs this week, we placed him on comfort measures.  My former colleagues at the hospital have been rockstars for me. Tomorrow the ambulance will take him home and he can be in his own bed for the time he has left.

I am so glad that we took an Alaska cruise in 2016!  He loved it.  His memory was beginning to slip then but it was the only "trip"  I was able as an adult to go on with him.  At least we got those cruise memories!

I am headed back to the hospital to stay the night while I send his wife home to rest (she is 90, don't need her getting sick) 

I  have been reading cruise critic during the long nights as I sit with him, it keeps me from crying and I have shared some of the adventures with him.  Just wish we could have gone on more trips.

Hugs and prayers to all that need them.

Denise

• Like 4
  • Thanks 16

3 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Evening Dailyites,

Heavy heart this evening as we have placed Dad on hospice care.  He came down with a fever on September 3 and was dx with Covid.  We had tried so hard to keep Covid away after 3 1/2 years it was the first time that he had it.  While I was at the ER his wife tested at home and found she was positive.  She only had some mild aches and scratch throat, who knows where she picked it up.  With his other medical conditions being complicated with the covid, after several ups and downs this week, we placed him on comfort measures.  My former colleagues at the hospital have been rockstars for me. Tomorrow the ambulance will take him home and he can be in his own bed for the time he has left.

I am so glad that we took an Alaska cruise in 2016!  He loved it.  His memory was beginning to slip then but it was the only "trip"  I was able as an adult to go on with him.  At least we got those cruise memories!

I am headed back to the hospital to stay the night while I send his wife home to rest (she is 90, don't need her getting sick) 

I  have been reading cruise critic during the long nights as I sit with him, it keeps me from crying and I have shared some of the adventures with him.  Just wish we could have gone on more trips.

Denise

I am so very sorry.

Susan

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Evening Dailyites,

Denise

I am so sorry to learn this news.  Prayers for you and your family.

Terri

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Evening Dailyites,

Denise

I am so sorry about your DF. Prayers for him to be comfortable. Take care of yourself too. 

• Like 10

@CrabbyPattiI am sorry to read about your father. Covid is back, or it never left, just mutated itself. Please take care of yourself.  I don't want to end up with it again, so I mask everywhere I go. Get plenty of rest, I know that is hard when you are there at the hospital but it can be done, ask for blanket and pillow.  And I am glad that he can do hospice.  Hugs to you and your family.

• Like 11

I am just posting now.  I was sure I posted early this morning, but I don’t see a post.  I guess I just imagined it.  

It was a tough day.  The Prednisone did not kick in yet and I am exhausted.  I had to take DH to the dentist this morning and then came back home.  
Thought I would get some stuff done, but just fell asleep.

Took a Covid Test because I was feeling so bad.  Tired, achy, sore throat, etc.  However, it was negative.

I am going to bed now.

Tomorrow, Eye doctor appointment.

Will write more in the morning.  Can’t believe I didn’t post today.

Terri

• Like 14

38 minutes ago, CrabbyPatti said:

Good Evening Dailyites,

Denise

Denise, I'm sorry you had to place your father in hospice. I hope he will remain comfortable for the time he has left.  I'm glad he will be home in familiar surroundings.  Please take care of yourself, and let the good memories of the cruise and other good times comfort you.  ((((((HUGS))))))

Lenda

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I am just posting now.  I was sure I posted early this morning, but I don’t see a post.  I guess I just imagined it.  

It was a tough day.  The Prednisone did not kick in yet and I am exhausted.  I had to take DH to the dentist this morning and then came back home.  
Thought I would get some stuff done, but just fell asleep.

Took a Covid Test because I was feeling so bad.  Tired, achy, sore throat, etc.  However, it was negative.

I am going to bed now.

Tomorrow, Eye doctor appointment.

Will write more in the morning.  Can’t believe I didn’t post today.

Terri

Terri, I hope the Prednisone kicks in soon, and glad the covid test was negative.  Try to let things go and rest until you feel better.

Lenda

• Like 8

13 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I just got a photo from my DGS who is in Lisbon with DS at his engineering conference.  He asked if we had ever been on Nieuw Statendam.  No we haven't been on any of the larger HAL ships spending many days on the Prinsendam and the remaining smaller ships since then.  Thought I'd share the photo with everyone here.  The NS is on a 9 day Dover to Rome cruise at the moment.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

My next ship! 🙂

11 hours ago, Love the beach said:

Hello everyone and thank you for the daily!

Sending prayers to those in need and Congratulations to all celebrating. I don't post much but do enjoy reading the Daily every day.

This was the beautiful sight over NYC last evening on the 22nd Anniversary of that terrible day:

No photo description available.

Beautiful! 🥰 Did you take the photograph? 

• Like 8